1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive clicking.... normal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dredog, 19 May 2003.

1. Dredog

Dredog What's a Dremel?

Hi..
    I have two computers: a laptop and a desktop and both have the same "problem". Ocassionaly when i am using my computer my hard drive sounds like it has turned off, which is the clicking noise i hear. However, my computer continues to run fine as if nothing has happened. Anyone know if this is something to be worried about or if it is normal?

BTW... both computers are less than a year old.

Thanks

2. CatKing

CatKing What's a Dremel?

hi,

i'm not sure according to your description. hdd does produce some sound while doing some knd of job likes fast searching. so, how often does it happen? anyway for safty measure, backup your important file often. hardwares would die at anytime, any where without any reasons. but most peole including me are lazy to do backup.

3. RTT

RTT #parp

clicking drives = bad.

but it's odd that both are doing it...

4. jimmy the fish

jimmy the fish What's a Dremel?

Heads resetting themselves after getting confused? HDD going into a power saving mode? Try a program called HDD Health (google it) which is a freeware app which lets you see what a (SMART enabled) HDD is up to :)

5. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

I'll second that, HD Clicking - v bad, get them RMA'd quickly before they really do die, get the data off them first and hope they hold up until you can.

6. Dredog

Dredog What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tips... I'll try that program. Also, it's just one click not a constant clicking. It might be that the head just goes from one end of the disk very fast or something.