1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Hardware Recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vegettoxp, 1 Sep 2011.

1. vegettoxp

vegettoxp What's a Dremel?

Hello there Guys, how is everyone doing? It has been a while since I built my last system and lately my iner voice is telling me to start to plan my next rig. The only problem is that I just got married last year, so I need to spend money wisley. As you can see from my Signature
    I have a alreat 3-4 year old system and I wanted to get your recommendations to which way I should go. I am not going all out and build my system from the beginnig, just change the main parts, please share your thoughts slash recommendations, Thank You!

Things I want to Upgrade:

Processor (Current - Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 at 3.2GHz)
    Motherboard (Current - Asus Maximus Formula SE Motherboard)
    Ram - (Current - 8GB G-Skills DDR2)
    Video Card (Current -Sapphire 5850 Graphic Card) Change Maybe!
    Hard Drive (Current - 4 WD Hard-Drivers Total Storage 2.4TB) (Will Change One of them to SSD)

Please Share your thoughts?

Josh:clap:

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The best thing you can do for your system is to get an SSD... everything else is still very capable and powerful hardware; upgrading to current top-shelf stuff would net you so little a performance gain that it would be a waste of money and effort.

Something that would help us is to know what you use your system for - gaming, work (3D, image editing, video editing), movies etc?

:thumb:

3. vegettoxp

Well the main usage of this systen is Video Editing, Photoshop and most of my hardcore work that my work laptops can't handle. All those extra cores come in handy big time when it come to doing alots of converting and rendering.

Processor Currently Interested (Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge)
    Motherboard - Asus of course (Not Sure Which One Yet)
    System Ram - Upgrade of course
    Graphic Card - Not looking to upgrade as of now
    Hard Drive - Upgrade Still thinking

Money wise - if my guess is correct it should be around $1000 or less.

Josh

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

With your budget, I would also suggest looking at getting a second-hand 6-core Gulftown + X58 mobo if you need as many cores as you can get.

Otherwise a P8P67-something or Maximus IV GENE-Z, 2600K, 8-16GB of memory and an SSD will be a noteable upgrade :)

5. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

That said, you could also wait for Sandy Bridge-E to come out and get an LGA 2011 CPU.

Also, for LGA 1155, MSI has boards that are at/above Asus's level (depends on who you talk to) so you might want to check out MSI too.

I would keep your current GPU.

All that said now, I think you should keep your system the way it is for now too until better components come out.

6. vegettoxp

Well guys the reason all this started to come into my head is because it looks like my Graphic Card is taking a dump. Not sure what happened, but I have Sapphire 5850 Graphic Card hooked up to my Samsung 46" (HDMI) and running at the 1920 Res, it looks jacked up. I have Reseated the Card, Reinstalld latest drivers and even plugged into another machine, for whatever reason the resoulation is jacked up, can't see the items clearly.

This is why I have this idea to update my system, your thoughts?

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not on his budget. ;) He'd need to go second hand 6-core on LGA1366 alone.

Veg: Is it a driver issue? Is the resolution correct?

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

have you considered just waiting for ivybridge or bulldozer?

9. vegettoxp

You know guys, after reading up on ivybridge and it should be out next year, I am willing to wait for that, but in the meantime I need to get my video card issue fixed out.

Bindibadgi - the problem isn't drivers, because I have uninstalled all the ATI drivers and even reinstalled the latest one. I thought the OS was screwd up, so I started to reinstall Win 7 and that is not the problem, because the screen looks all messed up at the Win 7 Setup Screen. It's freaken really hard to troubleshoot this crazy problem, I am gona pick up another Graphic Card today and see if that fixed the problem, if the new one work, then we know some problem.

Latest Drivers Installed and Res is set at 1920 x 1080 (recommended)

What SSD would you guys recommend for my Current System Config?

Thanks All

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Most SSDs will perform the same in your system given the limitations of SATA 2 (limited bandwidth) so you could realistically buy anything. Most of the SSDs surfacing now are for SATA 3, so you could buy some "older" SSDs like the OCZ Vertex 2E or Crucial C300 etc.

As far as size goes, it really depends what you want to do with it - at first I got a 64GB Crucial C300 for my OS and programs but decided that it might be tight, so I got a 128GB model and installed Windows on it and it's absolutely fantastic even on SATA 2.

I think the decision to wait for the next platform is a wise one. :thumb:

11. vegettoxp

lol, awesome thats for the help. I will take a look at your recommendation and will ask before I get one.

Any thoughts on the graphic card?

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

whatevers in your budget, £130 get a 6870, £180 a 560ti or 6950 1gb. £250 a 6970 or a gtx 570. Anything higher a gtx 580.

13. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I'd say try to get one with SATA III on it since it'll work in SATA II anyway. For best performance (but not best stability or value) I'd go with any SSD using SF-22xx, for best stability (but not performance or value), I'd go Intel, or for best value (but not price or stability) I'd go with the Crucial M4 or C300 line.

Even if an SSD isn't the best in one category, that doesn't mean it's a bad SSD. That list is horribly generalized, but it'll point you toward a slightly narrower subset of possible SSDs to look at so your purchase decision will be easier.