1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Having a go at Macro

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by 500mph, 11 Oct 2009.

1. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Alright, I've taken photography classes and the like, but I don't really have the equipment for it. I was bored, and was playing with my toy Bronco and saw my camera and figured I'd try some macro. I have a Kodak Z 1012 IS that has a 33-396mm (equivalent) lens. It's not built for macro photography, or semi-amateur photography with a 12x optical zoom, and only saving files as jpeg.

This is in my dorm room at 1am, using printer paper for a lightbox effect, and an overhead lamp to get the shadows. Posted these on my photobucket with a 1024x768 limit, but I have the original files I can put up there since they are jpeg and under 1mb.

[​IMG]
    The best one of the bunch I think.

[​IMG]
    I wish I had a proper light box at this point, or I could at least make one out of cheap cardboard and paper

[​IMG]
    Another decent one, I wish I had a better DOF, but I wanted a quick exposure since I didn't have a tripod.

[​IMG]
    I like this one, but it could be lighter.

[​IMG]
    Trying an "environment" here. With all the light on, I have a bit of a yellow tint in my room, and my walls are off white to begin with. Still could do for a white balance though. Couldnt get the autofocus to work, and I need to remember how to work the manual zoom. I also need a tripod.

Some creative criticism would be nice. I know I'm no pro, but I would like some help taking better shots. No new camera for a while, I need a job first.

2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Good idea on the environment but as you yourself mention you need a couple things sorted first. White balance and focus are essential no matter what kind of photography.
    The tripod is a good idea but not critical if you have enough light or high enough ISO.

For composition I'd recommend you leave room for the subject to be moving into. This means that if you want to express the car is parked for display you put it in the middle of the compo and it will appear static. Place it closer to either side and the car will appear to be on its way into the frame or out of the frame. Basic composing that is. For "studio"/ set up shots like this you have sufficient time to consider and use this.

Good work on the cloth becoming a desert landscape. It works really well.

WRT the first four shots you need to do a bit more work on lighting as well as backdrops to make it stick. :)

3. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Thank you for your helpful comments (+rep). In the future when I do some more serious shots I will put plenty of more time into it. The reason that I was so close to my subject while shooting was because if I backed out you could see past my white paper, and I didn't want to do that. Once my friends get an apartment I will have a proper place to do some shooting, with better lighting. I should have my old 35mm slr down here after Thanksgiving and I will try to do some shooting with that.

4. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Aw bronco!