1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Head to head arcade cab build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KayDat, 10 Mar 2011.

1. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

Have been working on this for about two months, mostly on weekends, together with a friend. Photos are a couple of weeks old, will post more when we can get around to it. Comments and constructive criticism welcome!

pics

Not sure if we'll bother writing up a proper log, we're both pretty newb (friend did woodworking/metalworking back in highschool, I haven't done anything till now), but we've been learning a lot along the way. Will probably post up our plans and design though. Have fun! =]

2. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

That's cool :)

Are you making your own controls (if so Sanwa or Seimitsu?) or are they butchered from something else?

3. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

Butchered. We too lazy to source proper parts. "Salvaged" from wireless Hori Xbox stick. I use quotes, since we actually bought them for this project. We figured that it was cheaper getting one of these off eBay than getting proper stick parts/circuitry.

[​IMG]

One of those ^

4. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

If you ever want to replace them, it's actually really cheap and easy to do with real parts. BYOAC have a lot of good guides and you can get all the kit you need from somewhere like Ultimarc (I bought my parts there).

I built a joystick a while back for PS2/Gamecube/Xbox and basically just bought the cheapest PS2 pad I could and got converters. The advantage with butchering a cheap pad is that the traces and solder points on the PCB are massive and really easy to solder to. If you buy an Ipac from Ultimarc you can wire the whole thing up with a screwdriver, some spade connectors and a crimping tool in an hour and it'll work with a PC with no ghosting issues.

Here are some really old photos I took during the build:

Really big solder points
    [​IMG]

All wired up
    [​IMG]

I used two different colours of wire so I could keep track of the ground loop really easily :)

This was the first build of the box just to make sure it all worked and fitted :)
    [​IMG]

(the three/four button layout was the best compromise for playing Capcom and Neo-Geo fighters :))

5. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

You can pick up PS2 encoders pretty cheap off ebay, really easy to configure buttons/joysticks with....