1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Help! No Bios appears, DRAM light red, Asus MemOK doesn't fix!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hm1992, 9 Dec 2011.

1. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

I have just built my first computer.
    All is well (hopefully) except it doesn't boot (a minor problem..)
    I think it is a memory incompatibility problem as the DRAm light is continuously red.
    Asus memok doesnt fix it.
    I have tried with both sticks of RAM, one and then the other to check whether one was dodgy.
    Help?

ASUS P8Z68M-PRO
    2 x 4gb Venegence DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 XMP
    1tb hdd
    64gb ssd
    dark rock advanced
    antec high current gamer 520w

If someone tells me how them i will give big kudos to someone that can help.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

What I see there is all compatible and will work well together. What I don't see is any mention of a GPU.

hm1992 likes this.
  3. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Personally Id send rma the RAM and the PSU as normally one of these is causing the problem whenever I've come across this.

edit again - just noticed its a Z68 board.

4. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

i was going to start off with the onboard gpu then add mine later.
    figured it just added another thing to go wrong

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

On the asus website it says that when trying 1 dimm to install the module in slot A2 (the second furthest from the cpu) and when installing 2 dimms to install these in A2 & B2 (second furthest from cpu and furthest from cpu) for "better stability" - is this what you're trying?

If it's a Z68 chipset it has integrated graphics right? Does it even get to the bios?

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Having checked that you've properly connected both power cables to the board...

...i'd pull the power & do a bios reset (not sure if that board has a button or a jumper or it's easier to pull the battery)...

...then put one of the dimms into the 2nd slot from the cpu -> plug in -> & give it a go...

...assuming that works, you should then be able to put the 2nd dimm into the 4th slot from the cpu (so it's dual channel) & be up & running.

it's a bit odd though since, as bulldogjeff says, it's bog standard memory so there should be no issue with an auto detect...

...well, i had to arse about with mine (doing roughly what i'm suggesting - though i then set the speed, voltage & timings for my ram before adding the other 3 dimms), but that's only because it was higher frequency stuff.

7. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

i originally had them in a2 and b2 (the blue ones)
    then removed b2
    then swapped the module in a2.
    now trying a1 and b1 for laughs.
    still got that pretty red light

ps i havent seen a bios.. or uefi or whatever no signal on monitor

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

You know what I'm so used to high end boards not having integrated graphics, that I totaaly for this mobo had them.

9. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

sorry for double post but this is getting confusing

chrismarkham1982 - why the PSU? seems weird. Also is there any way i can test the ram or PSU to see which it is?

GeorgeK- havent got anything except all the fans working yet and z68 uses the inbuilt graphics on chip

PocketDemon - i am checking the power cables. the 8 pin is in and so is the 24 pin. however the 24 pin latch hasn't closed, i don't want to push it any harder for fear of stressing the board, itseems to be all the way in so it shouldn't matter, should it?
    The board has a little jumper for cmos reset and i have done that..

EDIT: Do we think it's worth trying with my GFX card?

10. chrismarkham1982

Anyone with amother pc you can test them in?

I say psu because i had this same issue with my sisters build and it turned out to be the psu, i say the ram because most of the time, no post and no screen has resulted in me changing the ram to sort the problem.

Push that 24 pin plug all the way, hold the bottom of the board if you have too, unless you really do feel its flexing too much, buying a GPU will make no difference at the mo untill you find the cause of the problem.

hm1992 likes this.
  11. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Whilst it may be stiff to push in, what you don't want is it coming adrift whilst the things running (touch wood that it gets there) so i'd make sure you do latch it on.

Yeah, trying the gfx card you already have certainly wouldn't hurt... ...it just rules it out as a possibility.

& i guess the only other possibility, beyond something being faulty, would be if you'd misplaced/put an extra one of the brass spacer things (can't think of the proper name for them) that you screw into the case to then attach the motherboard & it was shorting somewhere on the back.

hm1992 likes this.
  12. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

all other pcs in the house are over 3 years old so don't have the funky 8 pin cpu power connector so i cant check with a different psu.
    As point above none have ddr3 (all ddr2) so no other ram to test with/test ram in.
    I have got the 24 pin to click, fingers are so painful....
    Its not the stand offs, I put 8 in and there are 8 screws in the motherboard.
    may have to rma the ram, but it would be nice to make sure it is the ram first.

EDIT:
    FACE PALM!
    Massive rep to you all for fast replies and trying to help...
    All is well, the ram slots do not have clips on both ends so you have to seriously give them some force on ones side to get them in...
    I am the most embarassed person ever.
    Sorry for wasting your time... :/

Last edited: 9 Dec 2011
  13. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Pleased that you got it sorted... :)

14. chrismarkham1982

NO probs mate, glad you got it sorted :thumb:

Tags: