1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Help to save Brothers PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by D1662, 27 Nov 2005.

1. D1662

D1662 What's a Dremel?

My brother PC is in need off some serious help.

:duh: In 2000 he purchased A Time PC system ( :jawdrop: big mistake :jawdrop: ) he is becoming more and frustrated with the system it is so slow. When he first purchased the PC it had Windows 98 installed, but since the 2nd hand mother board was installed it is know running windows ME. :duh:

:dremel: 2 or 3 years ago the original mother board died, so he took into the local PC repairer, and he was advised that the best think that he could do, and the most cost effective thing that he could do is to put a 2nd hand motherboard in for him. Not a good idea in my book. :dremel:

:confused: Ever since then he has had nothing but problems with it locking up and crashing, freezing, the the on-board sound card has stopped working so, I in stalled a Phillips PCI sound card and disabled the on board sound card, but it has not made any difference, as for playing DVD the picture and sound do not sync. :confused:

I have attached a copy off Everest Report that I made last night, along with links to pictures of the PC it self.

:wallbash: The machine dose have 2 lots off RAM installed off a unknown size, but I have a feeling that they are not recognized or not working. :wallbash:

The links Below are for the photos of PC in its current state.

http://www.macavoyt.freeserve.co.uk/Kevins PC001.jpg
    http://www.macavoyt.freeserve.co.uk/Kevins PC003.jpg
    http://www.macavoyt.freeserve.co.uk/Kevins PC005.jpg

This link was add as I could not upload the file as an attachment.
    http://www.macavoyt.freeserve.co.uk/Kevin Report 3.wps

If you are unable to open these photos or link please contact me.
    terry@macavoyt5.wanadoo.co.uk.

I am trying to find a cost effective way to bring it in to the 21 century.

Any help that you could impart would be a great help.

Thank you for your time.

:read: Regards. :read:
    Terry.

2. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

most cost effective way is a new comp.

I would say that its prob a 1ghz comp max.

trying to fix/upgrade that would be pointless. you could probrably get something far over twice the spec for £100.

also its ME altho i never had any problems with it, lots and lots of people did, XP would be a much better bet and bring him more uptodate.

3. The_Dude2040

The_Dude2040 What's a Dremel?

right, is there anyway you could try new ram or out of another system. that way you can find out if it is or not. also try a re-install of windows might just be incredably buggy. thats all i can think of.

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

If you can, install SiSoft Sandra will will give system specs and diagnosis. It may detect your problem.

Secondly, Windows ME is terrible. It crashes constantly. XP may be a little slow, so your best bet is to install Windows 2000. Which is a lot more stable than ME, but not so resource eating as XP.

It could be faulty RAM causing the computer to crash all the time, try running memtest.

5. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

guys hes trying to bring his machine uptodate. look how old that beast is.

old onboard GFX, its not even got AGP let alone PCI E.
    SDRAM.
    look at the size of the heat sink i was being generous when i was saying 1ghz.
    the hdd looks like a 7gig i got sitting next to me.

this machine would be worth £20 ish if it was in the for sale forums. theres no point trying to fix it. just get the important data off and move on to a better machine.

6. D1662

D1662 What's a Dremel?

AAGGHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wallbash: :eeek: :eeek: The dreaded memtest as show it self, I have tried that and have found it too complicated to use.
    :eeek: :wallbash:

Thank you for your Help.
    Terry

7. D1662

D1662 What's a Dremel?

CPU SIZE

You are no where near in the size off the CPU
    CPU Type AMD K6-2, 500 MHz (5 x 100)

The one in my lap top is bigger than that one.

Did you read the report link in the start off this post.
    http://www.macavoyt.freeserve.co.uk/Kevin Report 3.wps

Regards.
    Terry

8. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

just get a new computer, prolly be cheaper in the long run

9. nyzrox

nyzrox What's a Dremel?

Thats what i was thinking, try a reinstall of windows, and use windows 2000 IF possible as everyone knows ME = Mistake Edition.

10. nbfsoldier

nbfsoldier What's a Dremel?

well its looks really old to me i wouldnt waist my time upgading it if i was you id use your current hard drive,cd drive, floppy (not that they matter),maybe the modem (if you dont have dsl) and the psu if it fits the standards (i dont think it would but mmkk). and yea just salvage what you want and buy a new one. my best advice i could give to you would be....

the main reason its slow is not just the cpu (this is for games) but the onboard graphics card its a VERY bad idea to get a motherboard with that. make shure in your new pc (if you get one) that the ram is 512mb ddr400mhz or bigger aswel.

11. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

yeah, amd K-6 500mhz, no upgrade path. that line topped out at 600mhz, iirc. very far gone. im not sure you'd want to salvage more than the hdd and floppy, to be honest. the cd-rom is probably no faster than 24x, if that. even the lowest end current manufacture parts on the market are 3 times faster than that machine. i said fairwell to a machine like that. kicked it to the curb.

12. nbfsoldier

nbfsoldier What's a Dremel?

me and my friends found a amd k-6 last summer we through it off his garage roof lol :rock:

/agree

13. D1662

D1662 What's a Dremel?

Why me !!!!!!!!!

:duh: My bro has purchased a second hand Gigabyte RZ series motherboard, 8S648FXP-RZ(-C), SiS648FX Chipset for £30, please could you advise me on what would be the best or recommend which be the best CPU in the Pentium rage for this motherboard. :duh:

:wallbash: I thank you for your time.
    Regards.
    Terry.

14. MillenniumEdition

MillenniumEdition What's a Dremel?

Are my ears burning?

:D

You could always build a street sleeper and cram a watercooled athlon in the case. That was my original plan for a powermac G3 I aquired - to put a watercooled A64 in it. The case was too badly damaged to use though so I ended up using the parts to build Purple Motion which is currently undergoing a rebuild.

15. Gumbatron

Gumbatron What's a Dremel?

How unfortunate...anyway here's a link to the Gigabyte page for this board:

8S648FXP-RZ(-C)

Taking a look at the CPU support list to see what's compatable it looks OK. I'm not sure about how easy it will be to get Skt 478 CPUs (Pretty much Discontinued now), or how expensive they are over there.

To get the best performance out of that board, I would try and get the fastest Northwood Processor that your budget allows (Prescott = Hot + Slow :duh: , CeleronD = Hot + Slower :duh: :duh: ). You may have to get a second hand CPU to get a Northwood though. If you have to get a new CPU, you'll probably be stuck with Celeron D or Prescott and you might have to update the BIOS, which might require an older CPU first :worried:

On the RAM front I would try and get a single stick of RAM. Either 1 X 512MB or 1 X 1024MB. Two sticks of RAM in a budget Chipset like the 648 is usually more trouble than it's worth.

Oh.. you'll also have to get a Video Card too.

I hope this is of some help, Good Luck