1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice High-end gaming PC - build advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alex!, 24 Oct 2010.

1. alex!

alex! Kick-ass:Death ratio 93

It is not a clever thing to say at the moment as the current 6xxx series cards are NOT the replacement for the 5870 so I'm not surprised that they are not as quick but you should take into account the price/performance ratio. However in the coming months the replacement for the high-end GPUs will be released by AMD which is what I'm going for.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

The only really demanding thing you listed was gaming and video editing. its all well and good waiting for hexcore but if the software you use isnt designed for 6 cores it wont use them so whats the point and the first ones to pick it up will be professional stuff not consumer/amatuer editing stuff.

Not to mention your board has to support 6 core which it may or may not depending if they bother to update the bios.

also the cost will be stupid and most likely around 3/4 of your total PC cost.

3. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Not sure about this statement. I'd like to see how a pair of EVGA SC GTX460s for 320 pounds compares 6870 CF for 400 pounds. I'm pretty sure they are more or less equal. Though the 69xx cards might be a good choice. Will have to wait for reviews.

Looks I don't care about that much. Though if you go for the red interior for your FT02 then AMD cards fit better.Though RV02 is 141 on Scan while the red edition of the Fortress is 211 (!!!). Though if you can afford that, then it is a mighty fine case.

Only thing listed in the first post that is CPU intensive is "possibly" video editing in the future. This is why I commented on the i7 being possibly overkill. Just wanted to point out that a 4 GHz i5 760 is not exactly slow. I'd say that for a gaming computer on a 1500 budget 500 should go into GPU more or less. But everyone has their own preferences.
    Still on your budget I'd pretty much go for all the parts you listed (maybe using the Gigabyte UD3R rev2 instead, but the difference is minimal, so if you prefer ASUS for some reason then why not). Only things I would change is go for the HX850 for PSU. Also, from the price, I'm guessing the listed card is new. Either save yourself some money and buy a cheaper second hand 4870 or spend 10pounds more and get a 4890 for 100 from eBay.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2010
  4. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

same here,they have style and performance

5. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

EVGA? theres a card brand to drool over

6. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I'd consider a 470 at todays money... gives better sli upgrade route.

having said that you could wait for the revised nvidia and ati cards - as you say its alot of money.

7. lizzienotveryhappy

lizzienotveryhappy where not to buy your it from

hi for high end gaming i7 is the way to go not because of processor support but for 2 times 16 pci lanes, i have the frio cooler and thouroughly recommend it, in regard to overclocking i usually leave not much above standard clock and when my pc is knocking on a bit and beginning to feel its age overclock like crazy, who cares if it fries although last cpu e6720 clocked to 3.6 still going strong in friends computer:lol:

8. stonedScientist

stonedScientist What's a Dremel?

To be honest, unless AMD release an absolute beast of a 5970 equivalent in the 6xxx series that revolutionises the industry i'll be looking to pick up a 5970 on the cheap :D O

Or perhaps see what nvidia have to offer. Hopefully something that produces less heat, uses less power but is on par with AMD cards (reason being their drivers tend to be more stable than AMD/ATI). I have a feeling they have something up their sleeve, they have to, otherwise they've truly slipped out of competition with AMD.

EDIT: On a side note it might be worth checking this mobo out http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_x58_sabertooth_review/1

Last edited: 25 Oct 2010
  9. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

For the record, i7 refers to the product name, which is on both the 1366 socket (to which you're referring), as well as the 1156 socket.

He's got an i7 950, which is an 1366 socket chip, and an X58 motherboard already picked out.

Lastly, PLEASE learn to use some form of grammar when posting, it's incredibly difficult to figure out what you're trying to say here!

10. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Difference between 2x8 PCI lanes and 2x16 is negligible. definitely not enough of a reason on its own to go for an X58 mobo over P55.

11. alex!

Hey guys just got home from work, I'm finding it really interesting to see lots of the comments about the build so far, some useful some, well...lets move on! Either tonight or tomorow afternoon I will post up a revised build for even more checking. Please also note that even for heavy gaming and light video editing the i7 950 may be overkill, but its the want factor aswell. Many people don't need fast cars, big houses but they buy them anyway because they are generally awesome so some of that awesomeness is coming into play as I'm really treating myself to an early-xmas pressy. thank-you all and please continue the comments :D

Much appreciated,

Alex.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not untill 28nm process kicks in and that'll be when AMD release the full fat GPU's...

13. stonedScientist

That'll be the day I pay full price for the top end card just to see what it's like to have no better option :thumb: I've never owned one and I doubt i will until that day comes :D

14. alex!

I can't wait, im saving up for an all-out i7 build and will be buying the most badass graphics card I can afford at the end of month 2 :D

15. stonedScientist

Yeah same here mate. But i'll be building mine in February when i'm back in the UK. Can't wait! Haven't felt this excited since I got an N64 for christmas.. not much unlike this kid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpJyG7B6tAI&feature=related
    :hehe:

Until then Bad Company 2, CSS and all that's great in the fps world will have to wait for my ossum noobery.

16. alex!

CSS, I love it, but not when im getting 15 fps. Most FPS I've witnessed was around 50 and that is staring at the ground with all setting min, using 16-bit colour and resolution to the bottom.

17. stonedScientist

Resurrecting an old thread xD

Have you seen the new GTX 580? I think i may have found a winner :thumb: the 5970 can drop dead! But i guess i'll wait for the 6970. Having said that i'm seriously swaying towards nvidia now just for their driver support and the fixes the GTX 580 brings from the GTX 480.

I'm beginning to hate shopping for gpu's...