1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos (High Res - Sorry!) Critique please, on my (slowly expanding) photography habit

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by wst, 1 Feb 2010.

1. wst

wst Minimodder

Very slowly expanding... I'd like some helpful criticism and/or unadulterated praise. Preferably useful comments though :) (also, I'm not totally sure... how does one resize pictures with GIMP? Forgotten how. Sorry for massive!)

Bypass
    [​IMG]

Skyline
    [​IMG]

Fish out of water (technically, Fish out of water 2, but it's a slightly... improved Fish out of water)
    [​IMG]

2. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

First image doesn't work for me (may be the work firewall though), second one, there's quite a bit of noise in it (probably should shoot with a lower ISO), but I like it. Third one is brilliant.

At least that's my layman's point of view anyway :)

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Why you can't just post a small sized shot, and the link to the bigger version I don't know. At least that way, we can decide if we actually want to even see the big version in the first place.

4. wst

wst Minimodder

The first one is on stashbox, the other 2 are on dA, that's probably why it didn't work :p

The first and 2nd photos were taken with my Blackberry 8900 and it doesn't have adjustable ISO :p The third was taken on my PoS, which does :)

EDIT: Also, greg, the forum resizes it, letting you zoom in if you so desire. I figured it'd be more convenient than clicking loads and ending up in tab-hell.

5. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Well not everyone has uncapped super cable access. Some of us still have to pay by the kb. So while the forum does resize, I still had to download the whole picture. Thanks for that.

6. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

I like the photos, and Johnny..you pay by the KB!!?? I would be screwed.

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

That sounds pricey i feel you rpain it did take a few seconds to load so that means they where big images.

8. Jumeira_Johnny

That's 3G for you in southern Africa. Imagine having to upload 1-2Gb files to clients.

Oh, and to reply, I had to load them all.....again. seriously, get a flickr account and let them resize for you if you are to lazy to do it. 1024 on the big side is fine.

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Big images, yes, but just why on earth would you even browse an image-heavy forum if you are paying by the KB? No need to get offensive there, he already said he didn't know how to resize images in gimp, and I can't blame him. Gimp is one of the more hostile programs I've tried.

1. I like, it's a nice kind of artsy, abstract shot
    2. The technical quality is just too bad for my liking
    3. Artsy in the other sorta way, I don't get it.

10. Jumeira_Johnny

I didn't say I couldn't afford it, I said not everyone here has unlimited access. I merely used myself as an example. I browse image heavy sites because it's what I do. But I do try and keep my images to roughly 1024 on the long side so that people on slower/more expensive access aren't overwhelmed.

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

It's not just people that pay by the KB, either. Here are work, on a super fast dedicated line, I still had to wait a few seconds for the images to load. At home I have DSL, and it still took a bit of time for them to load.

I don't intend to be condescending, but image resizing is one of the easiest tasks in photo editing. If the original poster is unsure of how to do it, there are a number of guides on the internet that explain the process. There is even a simple tutorial on the GIMP website.

12. wst

wst Minimodder

Well, I'll take that info on board, thanks, Monkey.
    Johnny, I'll look into a Flickr.

Jipr, thanks for those comments. Sadly #2 was just me going 'whoa that looks nice' and grabbing my phone (my camera was 20 miles away). It was gone less than a minute later :(
    3 was another one of those shots, I'd just got the camera and wondered how good it was at closer distances (the 'macro' setting is only capable of 10cm+ on it, cheap camera), saw the drops like that, got them before they dripped.
    1 is the only reproducible shot, I can get the engine and position it in the sunlight like it was there any time I like. Which is a shame, as it came out the best, considering it's unchanged.

Future photos will be in 1024*whatever width, sorry :)