1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hong Kong father abandons daughter to play games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm one of these hopeless half-wits that believes that certain people are more inclined to become addicts than others.

It is entirely probable that it is a problem, but at the same time, limiting things like this is just going to ruin it for the rest of us, who while loving games, are not so addicted to them that we neglect other aspects of our life (Other than weight. I still refuse to go to a gym than play some video games.)

I'd be inclined to say it's up to the family to identify these problems, not a government body, otherwise it'd get messy for everyone else. I mean, who really wants to admit playing Leisure Suit Larry? That suggestion, however, has its own problems, and I'm not stupid enough to believe that it'd work for everyone, or even anyone. I think, for now, we're just going to have to deal with gaming addiction 'cases' as they arise, because there is no surefire way of deciding if someone is a game addict, unless you like being spoon fed normal by an aging stiff in an office that smells remotely of tears, sweat, and leather.

3. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

How old is the girl? Where is the mother?

4. liratheal

Seven, at least, that's what the linked site states. Doesn't mention the mother, I'd bet either dead or left the husband etc.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I wonder how many farthers in the UK abandon or neglect their children at home to play video games. Just because they are inside a house shouldnt make any difference. But it happens.

If you want to play games none stop all your life, dont have children. :)

6. liratheal

Or, if you have to have a noise based vomit and poobag, get a babysitter. Perhaps an understanding wife?

Probably a babysitter.

7. Guest-17499

Guest-17499 Guest

i think his quote there is slightly over the top to justify himself, he probs just lost track of time

8. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

He shouldn't have done that for even 5 minutes. Losing track of time has nothing to do with it.

I don't understand how someone could become addicted to games but I've seen it happen with WoW and such.

9. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

i think addiction as a whole should be a classification. i don't think its specifically to one thing. people that have addictive tendancies will latch on to anything the can

10. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Yeah, it seems that you can be addicted to anything really. Drugs, alcohol, games, TV, you pick your poison. Too much of anything can have a drastic affect on your life.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

...even work or relationships. Anything can be addictive to a particular person with the right (wrong) mental health problems.

12. Major

Major Guest

Your obviously not a gamer then.

5 hours can go past and it doesn't feel like 20 minutes when playing games.

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Trick is doing anything in moderation. When I'm tying off the arm for some horse while drinking a six-pack, I love to log on for some TF2 action! ;)

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

[​IMG]

he should get 2 of these

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

he could be addicted to monopoly and play games against himself...

it just happened to be video games

16. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

i think it's a sense of completion, advancement and success which makes the game addiction. i know that in oriental asian communities, there is a great pressure to succeed and win and perhaps seeing your advancement in the form of a score of whatever is one way of showing that you can succeed, albiet in a largely world-irrelevant way.

i dont agree that its only a small percentage of us who get addicted. i think a large portion of games players will get addicted, or at least have a phase, where they are hungry for more of a particular game. that may only be a week or month or so but it's still some kind of mild addiction.

or maybe there are satanic subliminal messages saying 'play more more more'

Tags: Add Tags