1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming How 9/11 Affected Games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 12 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Great article and quite a few bits I never knew about before.

3. Simon Poole

Simon Poole What's a Dremel?

That's quite a big effect :O

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Fantastic article. And still one of the reasons I read BT's articles. This does seem to remind me of some previous blogs though.

5. Stonerd

Stonerd The monkey's out of the bottle, man

Very well written, thought-provoking article.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

it made everyone cod stupid thats for sure.

7. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Top quality article, chaps. Makes BT stand out for me whenever really good articles like this appear.

8. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Interesting article!

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There's also some Half-Life 2 maps based on the two towers, though with huge creative license taken. It's less of a controversy and more of a 'Here are two really big buildings you can jump off of.'

http://singe.telefragged.com/hl2/maps/

11. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Great article guys
    Has anyone else noticed the massive shift from fighting the Russians or communists (cold war) in general to fighting the middle east arabs.

12. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

I personally think, if really we are going to be sensitive about a 9/11 game, then why bother with any war based game, ww or mw? Why arnt we respecting those who lost their lives in the world wars, or in Vietnam, or to this day in Iraq or Afghanistan, both of the native and the invaders. Why also not make games about israel?

13. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Seriously, the censorship around 9/11 for me is complete bollocks! When not talking about something made it better?! It was scarring event for some people, for other wasn't and I speak for myself, it was a disaster, horrendous thing to do but why make it a taboo? Things get better and emotions are dealt better if the topic is discussed and then let it rest so when the people hear of it again won't feel depressed! Using 9/11 to make new products I don't agree but removal of its reminders from previous games is, for me, a little dumb.
    Who really wants to see every year they live a memorial service and debate of what happened that day?! Isn't that worse than the industry tried to do? Let the deceased rest, their lives were full of work

14. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I respect and understand being sensitive about the incident on the WTC, (honestly I respect anything that could happen similarly to any culture and country). but honestly, if something happened to another country , I don't think that would be the same case though. I just have this gut feeling that this whole incident with the US is too... pro-US. I'm not saying lets ignore 9/11, but what I'm saying if we are sensitive and respectful with 9/11, we should be respectful with other disasters (or anything) with other countries as well. I remember with what happened to Haiti, people would joke even just 3 days layer, and even criticize afterwards donations that were given to them, but 9/11? if you ever joke anything about it. about 90% of people will definitely put up on you,lol, talk about being biased ,lol

15. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

Lets never forget, nor forgive !

16. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Grow up you ****. 9/11 goes much deeper than the surface reality you've been fed.

17. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Selective giving-a-f*ck. We give a f*ck about 9/11 because it happened in a place we normally regard as unbreakable: The holy american empire. When people from other countries die we don't give a f*ck. When iran hangs 16 year old girls because they were raped and took revenge on their attackers, no one gives a ****.

Selective giving-a-f*ck is fake giving-a-f*ck

Point being that bad **** happens around the world every year and the majority of people don't give a sh*t.

When I read crap like "never forget, never forgive" it just makes me want to vomit. It's no different to the kind of crap spewed by a religious extremist. It's easy to sit in judgement when you don't have a clue about the truth.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
  18. goddi

goddi What's a Dremel?

Great article and quite a few bits I never knew about before.

19. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

9/11 is a difficult subject because it touches an awful lot of raw nerves, not just in America but around the world. All the "never forget, never forgive" stuff is ultimately very damaging. We tried something like that in Europe after WW1 and it caused WW2, and the Holocaust. If you can't have a reasonable rational discussion about something, no matter how terrible or who caused it, you can never learn from the mistakes and move on.

Here's something for all you Americans to think about. After 9/11 a law was passed that made it illegal on American soil to raise funds for terrorist organisations. It's interesting that this law was not passed while the IRA was doing the fundraising for it's campaign against the UK in America. Aren't the US and UK supposed to be close allies and have some kind of special relationship? I guess close and special only go so far in American diplomacy.

America (the country) is far from innocent and while it's perfectly happy for innocents of other nations to suffer for it's actions it becomes outraged when any Americans (innocent or otherwise) are hurt for any reason what-so-ever. Discuss. Please. For the love of God let's talk about this!!

20. VMB90

VMB90 What's a Dremel?

Americans are too cocky and I think they had it coming because of this.

Tags: Add Tags