1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How I deactivate my account?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cookie Monster, 24 Mar 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Lemme think...

Yeah, a 1080Ti and a couple of 2TB ssds would do it for me. :D

Being serious for a moment, more feature articles would be nice - always something I liked about bit tech. Personally, I think the de rigueur modding articles are a bit staid and have been done to death - I tend to avoid them and read project logs for ideas and inspiration though.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I tried to be interested, hell, I spent far too much time looking at the plausibility of using something like (or exactly a) RPi for a digital dashboard. I just can't get excited about the things that're happening that make tiny computing units possible to the point of it carrying the banner of IT for me.

I'm not saying the industry is to blame for that - Just that the parts of the industry that interested me (And no doubt other people) many years back have become undeniably stagnant because, really, there's not much else that can be done in those sectors. It's a constantly changing beast, and I can't find interest in the same things that (for example) you do. I'd say I'm not alone in that regard.

I don't think there's any 'one' thing that keeps me coming back here, or would guarantee viewership for X period of time. Forums are forums are forums. Different rules, different mods, same stuff, different URL.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm pretty certain you're not reading what I'm writing, here. RISC-V - and other FOSSi efforts - are not the sole reserve of embedded computing. Take a look at the GoblinCore-64 (PDF warning), which is a "high performance core architecture well-suited to executing applications known as 'data intensive'", or the Shakti Processor Project, which aims to scale from E-class embedded stuff to the 128-core H-class, or the BaseJump 511-core server-class implementation. If that ain't enough, how's about a 4,112-core chip aimed at deep-learning and AI tasks?

You're under the impression that "RISC-V" means "Raspberry Pi." It doesn't: it means everything from the microcontroller that makes your oven timer work right up to the high-performance chips the NSA uses to spy on you (hi there, Agent! How you doing today?) Right now you can buy off-the-shelf implementations which replace an Arduino microcontroller, pre-order off-the-shelf implementations which replace a Raspberry Pi, or roll your own to replace a desktop computer. Soon, you'll be able to get workstation-class performance, then server- and HPC-class performance. One day, it's not impossible to imagine you'd be able to walk into PC World and buy a gaming PC which doesn't have a single proprietary core IP in it: it'll be RISC-V, or similar, from the CPU to the GPU.

Here's a last little thing that might hopefully trigger a modicum of excitement in you: a company which was quoted $15 million just to license Arm IP, and instead raised $3.8 million to launch the entire company and its first RISC-V-based product. Imagine how exciting the semiconductor industry will look when it stops being "oh, look, Intel/AMD/Arm did something again" and starts being "here's a brand-new chip from a brand-new company with brand-new features" every other week. If that don't excite you, you're dead inside.

GravitySmacked likes this.
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm not under that impression - But the RPi/Arduino is the closest I've come to that kind of thing. I've seen the HiFive 1 (Couresty of Hackaday), but in terms of relevance to me - There isn't any. Yes, it could (and should) change the future of processors, but since the bearing on my life and current project thoughts is nil, it elicits a very, very, low level of interest from me. And that's what I mean about the industry not being interesting.

There are things that're happening that are new and exciting, yes, but the bearing on me and things I can do with them right now without extensive time and money is just.. Low enough that I don't find it interesting.

5. Strudul

Strudul ~

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

It's literally physics that has made the old industry model stagnant. Transistors, and by extension, Moore's Law is approaching it's physical limits so, at this dead-end, the industry is going through an optimisation phase. Taking stock of where we are at the moment, everyone has a super computer in their pockets, so now the industry is expanding outwards, rather than upwards, in it's exploration of what can be done with the underappreciated computing power available to all of us. Personally, I find it much more diverse and interesting than years and years of a predictable, linear make-computer-go-fast model, but it's horses for courses.

7. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Iv been here a fair while, i was a lurker long before i made an account. Personally i still love the forum and visit it daily.
    Have things changed? or have you?
    Members come and go, but i think the Bit-tech communitie in the most part has stayed the same which is great. I hold this forum and its members in very high regard, specially when you compare it to other communities on the net.

I made an entire gaming system from donations from you lot, which hes using daily for gaming even today. I'm really not sure this would of been possible from many other forums.
    https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.p...unity-build-bobs-suprise-rig-complete.286634/

And there are countless other acts of kindness, trust and constructive threads

Last edited: 28 Mar 2018
    MLyons, wolf5ster and Arboreal like this.
  8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

There's one particular event which seemed (in my mind at least) to kill off these forums, and that was the move to the new software a year or so ago. The forums were offline for so long and with the ensuing problems, a lot of the old guard stopped checking in. There's still plenty of active members but the community isn't what it used to be. Plus a few big personalities have sadly passed away in recent times, which is bound to have a profound impact on the community.

Hopefully, there's enough active and contributing readers to get it back to where it belongs. I do love this forum. We don't have a lot of idiots, thanks to the proactive moderation. Long may it continue.

10. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

:worried: Did you get my email MLyons

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

He's put the ban hammer down on your application to leave :grin:

12. Cookie Monster

It would appear so, I'm still here. Maybe he doesn't work bank holidays.

What will happen first, I'm deleted or I post my 4000th post?

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Definitely agreed, free hardware and free data are the next areas to conquer.

Personally I'd prefer a few more transient posts. I've been here a while and get depressed seeing how insanely long some threads are, it's impossible to follow.

14. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We were talking about it in the office and I didn't get to reply as I was working on the competition that went live Friday. When I'm back in the office Tuesday We'll go through it. :)

15. Cookie Monster

Okay, thank you. Have I stirred up something?

Also 4000th post. :clap:

16. MLyons

Not really, just refreshed the conversation of what can we do to grow and keep users. Also trying to create a more formal and defined procedure for people wanting to close accounts.

17. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Found this in the guts of my oldest folder. The original demotivational thread, the good days.

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  18. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

Under the new GDPR rules can a user have all his post including quoted posts removed , If so that going to make one hell of a mess?

19. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

eck

Last edited: 20 Jul 2018
  20. MLyons

No, They can have all the personal information from their account removed. Any posts are up to the user to remove.

yuusou and Ice Tea like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.