1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress HTPC Case Mod ITZAMNA

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tirex, 15 Jan 2011.

1. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

Hello all!

This is my first post on bit-tech.net. I live in Ukraine and English I know little, my friend helped me with translation. Mojow thanks!

This is my third project.

Itzamna modding project was launched in early 2010. As usually happens, the first stage of the project consisted of a reflection of his basic concept. At this time, I was actively using the 3D modeling, namely CAD Compass 3D ». Basic ideas and design were completed by March 2010, at the same time I started working directly for translating drawings into reality. Based on the basic ideas, the project should be playing HTPC computer on which you can be, and play and watch a movie, well, no music no where. Accordingly, if this is HTPC, then the body will be a desktop type. Proceed directly to project work.
    Foundation of any project is to mount a motherboard with the back wall. In my projects I always use for this purpose factory building donor. The reason is that this detail is quite high accuracy, as at fixing the motherboard and the back wall with mounting expansion cards. You can do this and most of the case, but it will take unduly long time. So, extract the necessary part of the body donor.

[​IMG]
    Housing that will be used as a donor

[​IMG]
    Retain only the necessary parts

Presumably, the size, and thus the weight, the body will be quite large, as well as the corpus will be a desktop, it is possible to overload certain areas for transportation. To avoid this effect, as well as taking into account the hull design, it was decided to create a rigid frame, solves these problems. The frame body is a rectangle, welded from rectangular steel pipe section 20x30 mm. To the frame were welded a pair of "horns", which aims to become a connecting component between the frame and massive enough the front part of the body. After all the welding robot, all seams have been smoothed grinder.

[​IMG]
    Steel frame buildings with "horns"

Next I cut out of sheet aluminum rectangular plate with the help of blind rivets install this wall on the frame. This wall will be the bottom shell.

[​IMG]
    Aluminum plate, which will be the bottom shell

[​IMG]
    The plate was fixed with rivets

Further, from the sheet metal I cut the front wall of the main section of the future housing and set it on the frame, fixed it the same way with the help of blind rivets.

[​IMG]
    Future front wall of the main section of the body

[​IMG]
    Fixing the wall with rivets

2. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

To create the side walls of the main compartment, were found a pair of steel plates with rectangular perforations, the presence of which in the future should facilitate ventilation and cooling system. Data plate to the frame I also strengthened through corners.

[​IMG]
    Two side panels with ventilation slots

[​IMG]
    The panels are fixed using parts

Of sheet aluminum, I just cut out and the back wall. The housing will be provided for installation microATX motherboard, and a pocket for your hard drive, leaving the backside, as well as the power supply.

[​IMG]
    The rear wall of the enclosure, carved from aluminum

The housing project Itzamna I'll close all the wiring in conduits, in this connection install places around the perimeter of the future of the motherboard - in these parts will be cut holes for the wires that go to connect to the motherboard. Also, to support the power unit, bolted to the back wall, I set the support area. The front cut out three holes for future 120 mm fans that run on fresh air intake into the body. Well, gathered together paint primer.

[​IMG]
    Case basis after the primer coating

[​IMG]
    Base housing at an angle

[​IMG]
    The front part of the main section of the body

[​IMG]
    The reverse side of the main section of the body

3. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

Now I will reduce the size of a pocket for the hard drive - it will stand on its side, while its height goes to 1.5 - 2 cm longer planned height of the compartment with the motherboard. Cutting the portion occupied by the castle and the LEDs, I got the desired height of his pocket. Also, for its safe installation, make a mount that secure it to the back, side and bottom wall.

[​IMG]
    Pocket for HDD to modify

[​IMG]
    Pocket for the HDD after modification

[​IMG]
    The same pocket on the reverse side

[​IMG]
    Pocket under the alternative angle

So everything was looking after securing the pocket in the hull.

[​IMG]
    Pocket is fixed in the housing

[​IMG]
    Side view of a fixed pocket

[​IMG]
    Form an angle to the output pocket

[​IMG]
    Rear view of the housing with established pocket

4. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

In order to delineate the space inside the case, I cut out of aluminum, two additional items. Most will close the compartment with the power supply and all of its wiring, and the smaller area will close the compartment with a pocket hard drive.

[​IMG]
    Detail, which will separate compartment with Power Supply

[​IMG]
    Detail for a closed compartment with a pocket for HDD

On the side and rear walls of the body have special attachment to these casings, which represent the corners, which will be bolted covers. The first fitting covers, below are for 2 - 5 millimeters cover corners, through which the wiring will come out.

[​IMG]
    Fitting inside the shell casings

[​IMG]
    Front view of a housing with established Enclosures

[​IMG]
    Rear view of the housing with established Enclosures

[​IMG]
    Between the casing left space for the motherboard

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

This looks like a finished retail product, fit and finish-wise! Looks great!

6. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

docodine, thanks :)

7. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

Now I'll start doing the front part of the Modding project Itzamna. First I cut out of the side wall of the body-donor two metal plates, which will be the top and bottom of the compartment with the optical drive.

[​IMG]
    Two metal plates of the body of the donor

Next to one of the plates, I create a frame of steel angle, which should strengthen this section and serve as attachment to all that will be installed in the compartment.

[​IMG]
    Plate with a frame of steel angle

On the bottom of the case, I attach the semi-circular radiators, whose height is the height at which the chamber will be installed over the table.

[​IMG]
    Semicircular radiator on the bottom of the case

After that, I set into the bay slim Blu-ray drive, which got me a little of both - is a sin not to use, especially since the height of this compartment was calculated initially by a thin "notebook" drive.

[​IMG]
    Installed slim Blu-ray drive

Well, the actual cover, which closes this compartment.

[​IMG]
    Cover with BR-drive

Next, I'll do a design element, part of which I used when I screwed semicircular radiator to bay with an optical drive. I make a couple of radiators, by removing the stator from the motor. This eliminates the stator electrical iron, which was set winding, and get an aluminum radiator. I cut him into two halves, which in the future and I'll use.

[​IMG]
    Aluminum radiator round

[​IMG]
    Half of the aluminum radiator

8. DireSnake

DireSnake What's a Dremel?

:thumb: cool case ;) i see :)

9. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

Thank you! :)

10. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

Now install the bay from the BR drive to the main compartment. To be securely attached and have been previously welded "horns" to the frame - to them and screwed bolt-on frame cover-drive. By the bay with the drive screwed two radiators. In addition, I found three 120 mm fans.

[​IMG]
    Compartment with a drive screwed to the main compartment

[​IMG]
    The front panel contains three fan

To control the fan speed, I'll use rheobus Scythe Kaze Master 5.25, of which I spoke earlier - it will be installed on the central fan. For easy installation rheobus, I'm doing a small housing that is mounting for the determination rheobus in the main compartment of the body.

[​IMG]
    General view rheobus Scythe Kaze Master 5.25 rheobus

[​IMG]
    Mount for rheobus

[​IMG]
    Rheobus Scythe Kaze Master 5.25, set in the mount

After installing the fan control panel with mounting to his seat body began to look as follows.

[​IMG]
    Kind of project with installed rheobus

[​IMG]
    Control Panel Scythe Kaze Master 5.25 is installed at an angle

11. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

coming along very very nicely:thumb: what is the intended orientation of this case?

12. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

This will be a desktop case. It will stand under the TV, play back HD, music ...

13. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

The right of the BR drive will be installed in card reader and derive external audio connectors. To do this, I cut plastic bar with the necessary holes. After that, install it with the card reader. To the left of the drive will be withdrawn pair of USB connectors and an IR receiver from the remote control.

[​IMG]
    Card reader and audio jacks

[​IMG]
    Fixed a card reader and audio jacks derived

Now I make the upper chamber, which will be installed over the bay with a BD drive. It consists of a bottom plate and the frame of the corners. In this compartment will be installed a small keyboard with multimedia keys. By the same compartment will be attached four analog indicators that show the voltage issued rheobus.

[​IMG]
    The upper compartment of the plates and frames

[​IMG]
    Compact keyboard, which I have fingers to prop in the upper bay

The indicators represent a pipe diameter of 50 millimeters and 150 millimeters in length that are installed in pairs, parallel to each other. To use a dial indicator printed image.

[​IMG]
    Image for the top of the dial indicator

[​IMG]
    Image for the bottom of the dial indicator

Now I set the lights and the upper chamber. The upper compartment is also bolted to the horns on the frame and side radiators. The first launch of the indicators in the control panel.

[​IMG]
    Testing the indicators to Control Panel

[​IMG]
    Kind of a different angle

14. Baekkel

Baekkel Picky Picture Villian

now just throw in a lengths of cabel and electronics components, and you'll have the most epic new age tech punk media center!!

Looks very nice!!

15. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

this is turning out great man! it even starts to look evil:p

16. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys :).

Another highlight of the Modding project Itzamna will be passively cooled quad-core processor, which will carry the cooler Scythe Orochi, which I will leave the radiator open and protruding beyond the shell.

[​IMG]
    Scythe Orochi differs impressive dimensions

To control the whole system will be used in HTPC seven-inch USB Monitor Samsung U70. Fasten it to the upper chamber body.

[​IMG]
    Monitor Samsung U70 with a USB connection

17. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

After all this, it remains to make a cap for the upper compartment with the window under the keyboard, make the doors that will close the main compartment, set the legs to the body, solder all the wiring (keyboard, monitor, card reader and an IR receiver connected via USB to the motherboard, nothing is not connected to external connectors of the motherboard) and put the pieces together. Special thanks to the stand modshop.com.ua online store for assistance in project implementation.

The result has been released photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KidMod-Southpaw likes this.
  18. ing0

ing0 What's a Dremel?

Is the screen fixed or on a hinge? Loving the style of this case btw!

19. Tirex

Tirex What's a Dremel?

The monitor is installed on a hinge, you can rotate as you'd like :)

20. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Wow, just wow, you sir, are home theatre Chuck Norris. +1