1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i have a weird issue with a floppy drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sunny-D, 29 May 2004.

1. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

ok, one might find this weird, but today i took apart my floppy drive to paint it orange. i hadnt used it at all for months before this, but i assumed it to be working properly. when i plugged it back in, it doesnt allow me to retrieve data from disks or write to disks. it also wont format any disk i insert. its driving me nuts because i cant find a probable cause. :wallbash: im thinking this drive is headed for the trash but wanted to run it by you guys first. any help at all would be appreciated. or destruction suggestions. im thinking its about time to dust off the monkey wrench again, its been awhile since that cd boombox met its demise, time to release aggression. any other ideas would be appreciated. thanx - Sunny-D

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sure you got the ribbon cable in the right way up?

3. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

I'd say its borked, just make sure about the cable then let it have it. Had a similar problem, so I replaced my non-rusty floppy drive with a very rusty (literally) floppy drive and it worked fine :D

Now I just gotta find the time to paint it :dremel:

4. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

I have had many stupid issues wiht flopies, they just stop working for no good reason, and where I live floppy discs die all the time so i just gave up on them.

5. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

well if you still cant get the drive to work, you could always make your own tango advert!

*monkey wrench connects with drive
    *you know when youve ben tango'd!

6. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Mostly, if the cable's the wrong way up, the access light will stay on constantly...........

Mostly *Eric Cartman voice*

7. rio2

rio2 What's a Dremel?

you don't connetly good :dremel:

8. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

heh, i tried the ribbon cable thing, when hp built this computer they included a fool-proof floppy cable with one of the pin-holes filled in. there is literally no way to insert the cable wrong into this drive. i just wish i could have used this one. its sooooo cool. and its orange, my favorite color. if i find the web cam eyeball camera thing ill post a picture of how the paint turned out, if the pics good quality. i need a digital camera. and yea, im definately gonna take pics of this destruction. the boombox was a thing to behold. plastic and pcb everywhere. i did this in the middle of my street. my neighbors now know without a doubt that im weird. they should have known this bynow, but now they really know. :rock: thanx for the advice - Sunny-D

Addition: anyone know how to connect an old-school floppy with all 34 pins to a modern mobo or is this just futile? ive got an old floppy drive from like 1994 that when removed from the other computer still worked. if not, ill just steal my moms for a day to copy my data from the floppies to my harddrive :D

Last edited: 30 May 2004
  9. reholli

reholli What's a Dremel?

Sometimes when handling floppy or CD/DVD drives out of the case, movement causes dust to shift and interfere with proper operation. You might try blowing the floppy drive out with compressed air or using a floppy drive cleaning diskette.

P.S. I DO know what a Dremel tool is; I have one and use it!

10. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

i kno, why is that the default? and how do you change it? just before re-assembly, i attacked it with my compressed air. this thing is toasted.

11. reholli

reholli What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear it's toasted. The only other thing I would suggest is to make sure that if you tuck cable slack underneath the floppy drive that it doesn't interfere with the circular flywheel some floppy drives have.

With respect to the "What is a Dremel?", it's probably the default until you post a certain minimum number of times (don't know what that is for this forum). Then you'll be allowed to change it.

12. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

You say impossible, I say I've seen it several times. It's amazing how much strength factory monkeys can apply to computer components when they're trying to push something in the wrong way round...CPUs with bent pins owing to incorrect orientation, DIMMs backwards and indeed upside-down, molex/ATX connectors in upside-down, IDE/floppy cables in backwards despite pins missing/keyed plugs...it's quite horrific.

Sorry to hear it's dead, horrible when you take ages to mod something and then it refuses to work... :rolleyes: