1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illegal downloaders 'face UK ban'- VM to Pilot Scheme

Discussion in 'Serious' started by steveo_mcg, 12 Feb 2008.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

BBC

Here we go again. I generally only download US TV but i some how doubt they will make any distinction. As long as one company doesn't get involved in this kind of thing none of them will for fear of loosing custom but if it goes through as badly thought out govnt legislation then i can see this turning into a bit of a farce.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yaaay.

How long til torrents turn on encryption?

3. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

If I steal window frames from a window frames factory, do I get barred (after three thefts, of course) from buying window frames? :confused:

Whatever happened to "filing a complaint" and letting the justice system do what it's supposed to do? Yes, it's difficult, but that's the internet for you. Wasn't it Hubert J. Farnsworth (I own the DVDs, I swear) who said "nothing is impossible"?

4. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

The sooner the better imo

5. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

All this coming from people who employ relatives who do nothing more then I make in a year, and then bugger off with £60,000 pensions

They can afford to buy all the radio 2 tunes they like because they tax us so they get their big wages

Ahh well end of rant

6. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

This is a great idea. Someone will bypass it soon enough yeah but its a step in the right direction. TBH (me included) people who abuse stuff should always have the risk of having that privaledge removed from them. This is a far better measure than being sued or something. 3 warnings and you are gone, its fair :)

Breach of privacy would be the only thing standing in their way imo.

7. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

This is ridiculous unless they monitor everyones connection constantly how are they going to know what your downloading !!

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Scare tactics.

9. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

The Key paragraphs being:
    Surely there would be a MAJOR change in legislation required to remove all privacy from the UK internet?

10. Major

Major Guest

Surely if your downloading by Rapidshare you would not be able to get caught out as your downloading a RAR.

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

ISP's don't need to see what your downloading. The servers do however monitor the amount of trafic on the system, as torrents use alot of traffic as it is constantly downloading/uploading.

Sam

12. Major

Major Guest

Ah right I see, I guess this would refer to the more heavy user of torrents.

13. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

Me looks at the 1TB+ of downloads I've accumulated in the last 12 months and hopes this never comes to pass!!!

14. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Thing is ok; how can they distinguish between a legal Torrent (Linux, Open office, World of Warcraft downloader etc) and an illegal one without overly invasive packet shaping/traffic sniffing?
    What with digital distribution being the way forwards (Steam, iTunes, Xbox Live movie rentals etc) they will need a method to distinguish between legal and illegal traffic. What about dodgy content on say, youtube? Are they going to block that some how too?

Lets just hope they don't pull a great firewall of china on us :p

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Packet sniffing - they already do it to monitor and shape traffic on their network. The problem is, there are legitimate torrents out there as well as illegal ones. What about accessing known piracy IPs?

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

what about shared internet connections? as in a shared house? not everyone earns enough to live on his own, so would they cut off the whole house if one d/l's stuff and the others didnt leaving everyone without internet?

besides, how would they want it to work in case people start using encrypted services only?

two major things they completly forgot about, since they fail to think of such scenarios the whole thing is a guaranteed fail that will create nothing but trouble on the users end and cost on their end (our tax money to be precise).

17. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

surly it should be, when people use over 40gig in a month they should start to monitor their traffic

18. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

Yeah, can't have them using what they payed for. :p

19. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

but the thing is, what about those people, who may, hypothetically say, download about a good 30/40gig in one day on a 24mb connection?!:worried:

20. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

You know we should be massing in a large mob around the houses of parliament, dragging our politicians out and giving them a beating they'll never forget.

Unfortunately as with most things these days we'll just roll over, complain a bit and then accept another horrendous breach of our civil liberties and freedoms by this corrupt Government of ours.