1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel celebrates 40 years since first CPU launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Nov 2011.

1. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Interesting specs for the 4004. It could access a mind staggering 640 bytes of RAM!

Intel microprocessors have almost followed Moores Law, which states that tranisitor count in processors would double every year. The actual figure over the last 40 years is only 50% of that, which is not a bad prediction :)

2. debs3759

It could be funnier than you think. As an investment, the C4004 (especially one with grey traces on the white ceramic packge) is one of the better choices anyone could make. Prices over recent years have gone up almost as fast as the number of transistors in current CPUs :)

3. debs3759

I'll have to look up a couple of old links I had. I've seen much better die shots, with far more clarity and detail visible. If I find one of them I'll post it here. It won't need editing in photoshop (except maybe to reduce the resolution to fit your screen!).

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Eeek £2,250 on ebay.

5. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I was around when it launched. I was only 3 though :)

Ahh.. young padawan. How wrong you are. AMD have a long history of kicking Intel's butt. Not so long ago, the Barton chips were the OCer's weapon of choice, and until 3 years ago I had a FX60 which could kill anything Intel made from 10 paces. Conroe changed all that of course. They'll get back, and I hope they do, because without serious competition, the market will surely stagnate.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2011
Tags: Add Tags