1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iPad Air Ram?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blueviper11, 24 Oct 2013.

1. blueviper11

blueviper11 What's a Dremel?

As Apple never tell they Products Ram:confused:

iPad 2 Ram =512mb
    New IPad =??
    iPad air = Don't know .

Samsung galaxy S4 = 2gb
    Samsung note3 = 3gb
    Do someone know?? :worried:

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Third and fourth generation iPads both have 1GB of RAM. Air has not been announced but is likely to be 1GB as well - if they'd doubled-up the RAM, they would have made a big song and dance about it.

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I imagine it would probably be the same as the iPhone 5s seeing as the SOC is identical. I have no idea how much that has though sorry.

4. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

The 4th gen had 1GB

The air probably has the same amount or apple would have boasted, we now have double the ram and the 64 bit OS which work in tandem, to make it even faster than the ipad 1

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Apple rarely posts technical specs, There will be a breakdown in the comming weeks that will confirm how much it has.

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Apple have never said a word about RAM in the iPhone or iPad, ever. As such, I wouldn't expect them to "boast" about an increase, because they obviously don't think it's a spec to sell a device on (whereas they love jumping up and down about CPU/GPU performance). Previous devices have doubled RAM (512 to 1024 for example), but they said nothing.

Thing is, iOS has always had/needed less RAM than Android, ditto for CPU cores. I mean, Apple are still using dual core CPUs coupled to multi-cored GPUs, and the devices are just as responsive. Hence, maybe, they don't want to talk about RAM as it's obvious they have less, but maybe they actually need less?

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Why does it matter?

You are not asked to manage background apps with iOS.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The RAM is not built onto the SoC; it's a separate chip.

9. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

It will have 1GB of RAM. Adding more is completely unnecessary in iOS (At the current time).

iOS is highly efficient at utilising available resources by culling greedy apps and warning apps of impending memory constraints. The entire eco-system and development APIs are geared towards efficient coding and efficient CPU & Memory usage. Their development tools are very good at allowing developers to optimise things and the new additions that have just arrived make it even better.

This is why a dual core iOS device with 1GB of RAM can easily outperform (in responsiveness and CPU/RAM utilisation) a 'faster' android device with more RAM.

Only sloppy developers will ever have an issue with RAM availability on a modern iOS device (When they had 256GB it was a bit different).

If you suspect you need more RAM on an iOS device then have a word with the developers of the apps you're using. Either you're mistaken or they are coding poorly (Or have made very poor choices in game engine / third party APIs).

Source: Me

10. blueviper11

My iPad2 sometime insufficient off memory,when used too long or open too many App.
    (Online: it too many link page pop up ,like Chrome you can open few page.):worried:
    One to do it. Is turn off and on again.
    Not too many people know to delete the App.:wallbash:

11. blueviper11

Turn you iPad off don't turn you App off automatic.
    You have to do it yourself .:duh:

12. wyx087

turn it off, not put it to sleep, will close all the apps.

Just hailbreak it and look at free RAM reading.

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Why? What possible advantage is there in knowing how much free RAM your iOS device has? iOS will completely cull background apps to free up RAM as and when needed and it will also hang onto as much cached data as it can, and delete it at the last moment when more RAM is needed.

Say you have 20mb free? Is that because all of the RAM is in use? Or is iOS keeping cached data in memory for other apps? The figure is meaningless. Tells you nothing.

iOS isn't like Windows. Hell it's not even like OSX which is only now with Mavericks introducing some of the techniques iOS has had baked in from the start.

14. wyx087

I'm not saying you NEED to do it, I am saying you can verify my previous statement by doing that.

:rolleyes:

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Tear down will be here soon enough.