1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Is PC gaming dying?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 1 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Yes, but the markets with the most disposable income are in the US, EU and Japan. The Korean and Chinese gaming markets may be sizeable, but they are also reliant on mainly outdated PCs used for very specific genres of game - mainly the MMO, which was discussed in the article and dismissed as not solely enough to keep the industry afloat. Piracy is also very rampant in many of these countries, while most of the big developers and publishers are based out of EU, US and Japan.

2. dreamhunk

dreamhunk What's a Dremel?

3. dreamhunk

Oh by the way top pc games destory top console games. You know japan right they are so far behide the west when it comes to online gaming and gaming because they fucas way too much on consoles. They are now behide the west in gaming because they they don't play pc games.

because of consoles EA was brought to it's knees, who is shining in the actvision blizzard. You know why because of pc gaming.

That is why EA is rsuhinh to get into the online business.

In fact pc gaming brought THQ back from going bankupt, with dawn of war!

empire total war robed killzone 2 of it's gorly in a recssion.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2009
  4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

read that good news Dreamhunk. A huge list of games still to come

5. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

I sorry dream hunk but I fail to see where in those links the consoles are to blame for anything if you ask me it seems more like the hugh street retailers are to blame.

your behind in gaming argument is flawed as well are trying to say you have to be on a pc to be up to date with gaming.

some of these people on the website who's job it is to report about gaming seem to missing out the biggest fact about pc which most pcs owned are not cable of running games at a decent level and not a lot of people would know how to go about making a pc cable of gaming so they will just buy a console as long as there are buyer there will be a product.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2009
  6. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

think of it like this with books and music the publishers always get loads more than anyone else the authors seem to get the least but still get rich coz it's only one person or a small group but with game the developers(author/artist) is a big company but they still get the least amount of money from the product so if ask me it's more to do how the entertainment industry is that is killing the devs and then the consoles.

7. dreamhunk

last time I checked pc gaming has a much bigger line up

http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2009/

http://pc.ign.com/index/release.html

http://www.gamingdaily.co.uk/2009/independent-gaming/

well I guess then more game devs will fined them self out of work. More publishers and console game devs will go bankuprt. Consoles were slowly killing them before the recssion. Now the recssion is now here it has speed things up a bite.

Console gaming has a real nice track record of making companies go bankuprt. By the time this resssion is over I will alot more companies go bankuprt. The costs of consoles costing around $100 or more. It seems to me that alot of big companies like nice big red numbers.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/159963-is-there-a-need-for-game-publishers-any-more

Last edited: 4 Sep 2009
  8. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

If PC Gaming is dying (its not) why are there so many dang Gaming mice!? Everybody and their mother makes PC gaming mice. The sad part is I'm addicted to them and feel the need to buy one every time a new one is released. This habit makes PC gaming expensive. ;)

Cooler Master is getting into the game with thier "Sentinel Advance" gaming mouse. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/news/4138

9. dreamhunk

Last edited: 4 Sep 2009
  10. Striphe

Striphe What's a Dremel?

One thing I've missed in all the remarks I've read so far is all about something you can't do with console games, something exclusive to the PC Games market - not all games, I'll admit, but something that extends the life of so many games that even after console gamers forget about playing brilliant games like Fallout 3 or Oblivion, a PC Gamer can continue playing for months and still not have seen everything there is to see or do - its what keeps me playing alot of my large library of PC Games, going back over 15 years - THE GREAT PC MODDING COMMUNITY.

Not all PC gamers have to be played online, but access to mods which in some cases improve on a game, or change the game into something the original owners never intended, is a major reason PC games will be around for a longtime after the PS3/Xbox360 retire into a long forgotten past.

11. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

OMG, I just looked at the PC release list for September. Easily over 12 games I'm interested in. PC gaming needs to die so I can keep up with all the games. ;)

12. dreamhunk

13. dreamhunk

Last edited: 10 Sep 2009
  14. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

use valve and let them have a cut.............unfortunately 75 quid a game suddenly looks likely.

15. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

this would indeed be a nightmare scenario, given that few companies seem to be able to write a piece of software for this purpose.

the problem here is that valve are a game dev, and i can see a cross of interests there. what we really need here is a third party company to come in just be so good at what they do that everyone converts. unlikely though!

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

upgrade xfire

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There have been whispers of Valve spinning the Steam Team out into a separate company from the developers, but I wouldn't count on it coming in the immediate future if ever.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    So that developers could be shielded from the current St€am Ripoff polemic?

19. dreamhunk

20. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

P.C. will never die they just multiply. Once I finished upgrading my first P.C. I wound up having so many left over parts that I now have 2 P.C.s' and after the arrival of Direct x 11 and windows 7 I will upgrade again and I will be a part or two short of having 3 P.C. capable of playing games (1 at max settings and 2 at mid to high settings). So that right there shows you how important P.C. and P.C. gaming is to the gaming industry. PC gaming is the industry!

PC owners spend alot of money on hardware so we are very selective and informed about software. PC owners generally dont waste money on crappy games thanks to demos and other means. For example Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky were full of bugs but both games were so good that they sold really well even though any forum would have a million complaints about the bugs and needed fixes. Also the PC software generally doesnt get exclusive advertising on national tv. Yes if a game comes out cross platform you will see the little PC symbol at the bottom right hand corner at the very end of the commercial but never (with the exemption of the SIMS and WOW) see a pc only game get a commercial.Crysis sold a couple million units with only a Electronics show showing and word of mouth (and some well reviewed magazine articles)

Consoles on the other hand where Microsoft and Sony are both loosing money on every console sold need gamers to buy games so they can turn a profit. At this rate neither company is going to turn a profit on consoles because....... wait for it........ they are going to have to make a new console to compete with the power of a Direct x 11 PC and just so you know the XBOX360 and PS3 basically use Direct x 9 so the next gen consoles will only be Direct X 10 and by then the PC will be on Direct X 11.5 or 12.

Anyway the xbox360 has reached it peak and the PS3 took too long to drop it's price so both companies are already developing new consoles. The next Gen war has been won by the last Gen Wii but the PC is still King because it represents the future and innovation of video games not mass marketing appeal. Besides even Steve Jobs will tell you that 'you can't make a video game without a PC".

Tags: Add Tags