1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics [Laptop screen] How-To???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by white modder, 14 Feb 2004.

1. t0m

t0m What's a Dremel?

Hello, i'm new here in the FOrum.
    I'm from germany, so sorry for my English... :p

i found a Display and i want to connect it to the vesa Port of a Grafik-card.
    My DIsplay is a Hitachi TX26D68VC1CAA-1.

Is it possible to do this Mod with this Display?
    Here is the Datasheet for the Pins DataSheet

Can someone Help me?

Just a few Tips for Startup or so on...

THX

2. djivesp

djivesp What's a Dremel?

Also guys if youre buying old graphics cards then before you buy make sure you can get hold of new drivers for them (W2K, XP, Whatever), i have an old S3 ViRGE DX/GX PCI card and i couldnt get that working with 2K cos the newest drivers are like 75 years old :waah: . Thats about £2 wasted :wallbash: :hehe:

Thats why im running an ancient Matrox Millenium II card :D

This is an amazing idea about the VESA connection, i definately wanna try that, could anyone reccomend so some screens that hav straightforward pinouts + datasheets as im gonna hav to buy my one of eBay or somewhere!

Keep this post alive!!!!

Last edited: 18 May 2004
  3. t0m

t0m What's a Dremel?

is there anybody? :confused:
    Please help me... :waah:

VESA Cards:
    I Have so much of this cards, one of these will work. :naughty:
    Also some new cards have this Vesa Port... (and Drivers for WinXP/2K) :thumb:

4. hazy_Davy

hazy_Davy What's a Dremel?

lm-cd53-22ntk

Hi!

I have a sanyo lm-cd53-22ntk screen from a TI 4000m. As far as I can understand from the info I have gotten out of the big internet an this forum, and a dutch forum is that it's a DSTN screen.
    Does that mean I have no chance of connecting it to a VESA Feature port?
    Or, is there anything I can do to make it possible?
    Does anyone have the pin-outs for this screen, or any info about the motherboard on the 4000m?
    Any info is greatly appreciated!
    best regards,
    /David

5. theWiz

theWiz What's a Dremel?

As long as I am sitting here bored I thought that I would add that I have been looking for information on the following screen.

Torisan
    LM-FE53-22NDK
    P/N 29H9283
    EC E15725

That is all of the info off of the back of the LCD. I've had this for about 2 years, it came out of a IBM Thinkpad which I don't know the model of. I've done so much searching in the last year for any information or a datasheet but in the end all I have gotten was... :wallbash:

Cheers.

6. XDude

XDude What's a Dremel?

Hi!!

Look what a customer give me:

Mac PowerBook 100
    [​IMG]
    The firts Portable Mac.
    -16MHz
    -8MB of Ram
    -First Laptop with a SCSI Hard Drive (installed 80MB)
    -1 Bit 640x400 9" LCD (monochrome).....

He said: If it works, keep it, if don't trash it......

Well, I need to use that LCD with any lcd program....

Soon i'll post some info about the LCD....

Last edited: 20 May 2004
  7. iver89

iver89 What's a Dremel?

Hey. I got the exact same Mac as got, just mine is grey (and I think it has a 50Mb HDD).

I also found two old laptops in my closeth, one that used to work (i blew up the psu in it :sigh: ) that has a color LCD, and another one which is greyscale i believe.

But, the inverters on the LCD's have a lot of wires coming out of them. What are all these for?

8. djivesp

djivesp What's a Dremel?

9. XDude

XDude What's a Dremel?

Well....

If you see the circuit board of the inverter, you'll notice that there only 2 of the 4 cables are directly connected to the inverter...

As the method presented previously you must use a multimeter to identify the correct cables.

The only thing I don't know is, if the lcd has a controller. I got a pin out reading some info of similar models of Sharp LM64P791: LM64P70, LM64P80 and LM64P772... but i'm not sure if this will work or not....

Also I need to know how can I connect it to my pc: serial or parallel

If any know that, please post it.

Darius

10. coorz

coorz Miffed

Little chance to hook up a laptop TFT screen through serial or parallel. If you're lucky, very rare, SOME laptop TFT screens did have a built in controller, but generally speaking there's no easy way to utilize the full potential of a laptop screen.

11. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

You are right that the VESA feature connector came out at about the same time as the VESA local bus, but they are different things. (I think VESA was a company). The connector was used by some companies to allow upgrades such as TV out to be added to normal ISA graphics cards. I believe that when newer PCI cards came out, the VESA feature connector was kept, partially to allow users to continue using upgrades that they may have purchased that connected to the VESA connector on their old cards.

I found this article (and this note) that (roughly) explains some of the limitations of the VESA connector. Looking at it, it suggests that we may get better results connecting LCD flat panels to old ISA cards if we can.

I intend to try and get an old laptop screen working (if possible) this summer, so I will try first with an old PII and an ISA graphics card before attempting anything with a PCI card with the VESA connector.

EDIT: I've just found out the VESA is:
    [​IMG]
    They still have documentation on their VESA video connector standard on their website. (www.VESA.org)

Last edited: 24 May 2004
  12. XDude

XDude What's a Dremel?

That's right

Looking my lcd i found this small chip: LA5316
    Anyone knows is it's a lcd controller?

BTW, my lcd it's monochrome 640x400 Sharp LM64P791, with a separate Inverter for the CCFL and two pots for Bright and Contrast

13. coorz

coorz Miffed

Looks like this?
    That isnt't the controller. Most likely an adjustable divided voltage generator ( i Googled that :D )

14. XDude

XDude What's a Dremel?

Looks similar, but if my polsk isn't bad the pages says that it's a 1 bit controller.

My lcd was used by Sony when build the Mac Powerbook 100 for Apple in 1991

It's hard to find the specific info for that lcd, i'll try to write directly to Sharp

I'll try to get some pictures and post here...

15. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

as it's pertinent to this thread... does anyone have the actual output specs of the vesa feature connector? I know the pinout as linked earlier in this thread but i'm interested in knowing the high/low voltages used for 1/0 on the data out bits. I'm hoping it's within the spec for the controller chip from the laptop lcd i'm working on (see seperate thread started by me)

I suppose i can just start poking around with my multimeter when i get home but i'm stuck at work right now. i've googled every word combonation i could think of and checked vesa.org's site but couldn't find anything but the advanced vesa feature connector spec sheet on sale to non members for a lovely $200 (only $100 to members, whopee)

thanks in advance

[edit] I poked around with my multimeter and found that the outputs run on 3.3v which is within spec for my chip and hopefully useful information to other people [/edit]

Last edited: 27 May 2004
  16. XDude

XDude What's a Dremel?

I found another chip on the LM64P791 LCD:

50003SCC-C

What that should be?

17. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx What's a Dremel?

Hey all, I got three new laptop screens and I was wondering if anyone could hel p me find .nfo on them, I was looking all over but coiuld only find people selling these screens.. anyways first screen:

[​IMG]

Pulled from a toshiba Satalite laptop..

[​IMG]

Sharp LM80C219

Had some connectors split off as seen int his pic:
    [​IMG]

Other side which connects to port in board:
    [​IMG]

Port in board:
    [​IMG]

One lead tails off to this weird looking slab of PCB, which is also connected to the power connector...
    [​IMG]

The other goes to a contrast controller

And the third set of wires goes to a funky connector, that isn't VESA
    [​IMG]

--------------End first laptop------------

Second is a big ole samsung with a defect that is a red line on the display as I was told by the computer store, it comes from a Terca 8000 laptop.

Main pic:
    [​IMG]

Power Connector
    [​IMG]

Model Number LT133X4-122
    [​IMG]

Fuzzy pic of where a connector for things go in..
    [​IMG]

----------------End of second laptop screen-------------

Third is a little sharp LM64C15P pulled from a dell latitude 575C
    [​IMG]

Same power connector and a nother similar PCB as the first lappy
    [​IMG]

Also similar connector as first, but smaller than the first one...

And those are the three LCDs, I just really want one to work at least and I'll sell the rest or buy more hopefully, I currently have 3 VESA feature connector compatible cards to test them with.

Hoping someone can help... Thanks,

-Excelsior

[​IMG]

18. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

well i can help you on the second one. The LT133X2-126 is a replacement for the hitachi i have and both are LVDS so they won't work hooked straight up to the VESA Feature Connector. I would assume your samsung is similar enough (and with all those wires i wouldn't be suprised) that it won't connect to the VFC either. no idea on the other ones, but i feel your pain, googling for part numbers is annoying.

oh, and what you're calling the "power connector" is the power connector for the ccfl backlight, the main power for the lcd comes in from somewhere else. the odd pcb that the ccfl connects to is most likely the inverter for the ccfl.

19. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx What's a Dremel?

Is there circuitry involved, and if there is circuitry how complex would it be? I'd be willing to do a bit of work... Since it's such a nice huge display :)

-Excelsior

20. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

see my current progress with my hitachi here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=59231

basically i'm trying to kludge somethign together to see if it works, and i got really lucky when googling random chips on the laptop mobo that i hit that TI chip that is the controller