1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other LED Light bulb advice

Discussion in 'General' started by modd1uk, 12 Jan 2013.

1. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I ordered one for these for my mum last week. She has the traditional single fitting in the middle of the room and the current CFL is horrific. The aim is to connect it to a dimmer and the lamp is quite visible through the shade so the "interesting" way the lamp looks was appealing. I will let you know what its like when it's fitted.

Jizwizard Philips say it can work with any leading edge dimmer. Do you have any you would recommend? It will be a single white face plate with the single lamp connected.

2. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Yes the leds will run cooler but make sure the lamp is certified to work in a can (Down light) as there are many out there that will not work ie kosnic

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Colour 835 for a house?! Go 827 or 830 at the very least.

Do not use the Bell lamp, cool colour but it have good dimming performance.

To be honest I would wait a year or two at the moment, the prices are constantly dropping and the current prices make the payback period extremely long for domestic projects.

If you are looking to dim the lamps I would recommend the Varilight J series rotary dimmers as they are perfectly happy with just an LED load.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2013
  4. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

£10 is a bit expensive as I can do a fitting and lamp for less than that.
    A 50w halogen will cost roughly £13 a year to run at 4 hours per day where as a 5w led is £1.30 so yes the outlay is higher but the gains in lamp life and running cost soon outway the initial expenditure.

Typical lamp life on a halogen is 2000 hours where as an led is roughly 30000 hours

5. longweight

That is a very bright LED, the best dimmer would be the Varilight intelligent series of dimmers.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Cheers. I went for the bright option with a dimmer as she is 70 and it's the single over head light source. Most of the time it will be dimmed but we have the option of turning it up when she is doing her jigsaws and stuff.

7. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

8. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

not had a problem with the bell lamps we keep but they have recently upgraded there stock and the colour profile is the closest I have seen to a halogen equivalent. The Philips are definately the best I've seen but the price reflects that. A bit of inside information we buy the 4w leds in for only £4 so haggle with your wholesaler as the prices have dropped quite a bit but obviously most places mark them up quite a bit. Myself im pricing them really aggressively as im doing away with halogen completely as its becoming a dead market.

9. longweight

Trouble is that LED lamps have no colour shift when you dim them (apart from the dimtone range) so you want an LED that starts off with a lower colour temperature to compensate for this.

LED is definitely the future but I would wait a year or so before refitting a whole house as using your payback calculations it will currently take ten years to pay the initial cost off, I think that 4 hours a day is quite a bit more than average daily use in a domestic setting.

10. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

4 hours a day is less than half what some of my lights are on for, I have a couple that are on all hours that are dark. Didn't think I was any different than the average, depends where you use and what you use them for I suppose.

11. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Yeah my house is like the Blackpool illuminations

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Depends on working pattern too. If you're in all day in the UK during winter odds are the lights will be most of the day.

13. longweight

Why would have lights on for all dark hours?

There will definitely be exceptions but most do not keep lights on for that long everyday.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

A lot of people will leave at least one light on all night, either out of habit or so children can go to the bathroom etc (why my mum did it, not sure they do anymore)

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure what its like where you are but I had the living room lights on all day yesterday there simply wasn't enough ambient light due to the heavy cloud cover.... which is common in the UK in winter.

16. longweight

In that instance you would be much better off with some of the plug in LED night lights to create a nice low ambient level of light.

That does assume that you have plugs in the right locations though!

17. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

My missus would leave the dining room light on fir about 5 hours a night. This light has 8 50w lamps in so that's 400w out the door before I add the other lights in the house. But most of them have been replaced by led anyway. Yes the layout is high but I've seen the benefits already with the bills. Yes you might live in darkness but I would say your the exception as most houses in my street will always have some sort of light on for long periods. Yes I don't understand it myself as I love it dark as I have sensitive eyes. Which is why im always bollocking the missus

18. longweight

Ouch!

I guess that everyone is different, I try to have the lights on as little as possible.

19. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Just noticed your location, I'm 4-500 miles further north than you are, its a bit darker up here for the most part :)

20. longweight

That would explain it!