1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LG to demo 'next-gen' VR headset at GDC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Feb 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Remind me again, is "Next Generation" going to be better than the current generation or are we still on the "Next Generation" when if compare to the previous generation?

LG > HTC ?

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Mostly depends on whether LG can fab a good OLED panel, or if they buy from Samsung (as Rift and Vive do, matching spec) or from Sony (if they're willign to sell, matching spec with PSVR). LG have made very large WOLED panels for TVs (with fairly low pixel densities), high density but very small RGB panels for the Apple Watch, but the only 'sort of smartphone-ish-sized' panels they've made in the last few years have been for the G-Flex, and those were a bit ****.
    WOLED should scale down but nobody has demonstrated that yet. RGB OLED can work on larger substrates, but starts to hit yield issues (same number of defects/area kills more panels as panels get bigger).

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

To be fair, nobody ever said the next generation had to be better than the previous generation, only newer. No, I still haven't forgiven Sony for wrecking DLNA and dropping Red Book Audio support on the PS4. The gits.

5. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Seeing that google now demands decent resolution and high refresh rates for their VR compatible android phones I expect that there is a slew of new displays in the offing. So this might have a better display and that would hopefully boost the whole VR experience for everybody.