1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Longhorn Tastes the Apple

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 6 May 2004.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Go ask Lake Havasu City, Arizona... I'll bet THEY'LL buy it!

2. fump

fump What's a Dremel?

erm so if they can run it on a p3 700 why da hell has everyone just flamed MS 4 making and OS that is more resource hungry than DOOM3 will be? i seriously dont believe that pc's will run that fast in only 2 years and i dont think MS r stupid enough to think that either. they made XP run on pc's that are several years older that the fastest specs in 2001 (a PII 300 could run it quite swiftly if it had enough RAM) so why does everyone think they will expect for the release of Longhorn?????

3. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

Because 2007 is a long way away, and is the earliest longhorn will appear. There is going to be a whole lot of advances in technology from now to then, and the projections Microsoft have made are not unreasonable. 1 GB of memory is becoming more and more popular, meaning 2 GB can't be far off. Dual core processors are definately on the way because of Intels recent decision to rip up the roadmaps, meaning AMD will follow suit, and the terabyte of hard drive space can be achieved no problem, there are already external terabyte drives on the market.

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

so true, i only run XP on my main machine because of the lack of gaming support on linux
    running gentoo and gnome on my laptop, tis great :D
    wireless works better under this than XP too :p

5. TMM

TMM Modder

um, i don't us surviving with xp untill 2007...

xp is old stuff even, made in 2001..

that is a massive gap, Ms have been releasing one every 2-3 years for a long time. ignoring all the "server" ones, this is the biggest gap ever.

i think im going to change to linux by then..

6. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

XP "reloaded" is already planned, but even I don't see that covering the gap. I think there will be another OS in the meantime, but Longhorn will be the revolutionary OS.

7. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Have microsoft actaully confimed 2007? Because theirs reviews of alpha versions all over the net allready.

8. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

Exactly, alpha versions. Products can stay in alpha for a very long time, then there is beta to go through. Microsoft want to make sure that they have all the bugs worked out in longhorn, the more secure it is the more good press they will get. Also they still need the monster hardware to be developed.

9. Carbon

Carbon Banned

How can MS say that it needs such a monster spec when the technology isnt even around yet ?

10. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

They probably calculated it by looking at how fast technology is advancing now, and looking at the emerging technologies. If you look at what is coming up you would agree it is reasonable.

11. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

i agree its all in the advance curve

i know its one of the laws i forgot witch one

thats say prossessors double speed in 6 months

or something like that i think it very possible

12. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

its " moores law ". the pres of IBM stated that CPU speed doubles every six months
    (heheheheheh i'm well drunk) :hip:

13. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Moore's law states that processor power doubles every 18 months... You might want to add a year to those previous statements fellas :cooldude:

14. [cibyr]

[cibyr] Sometimes posts here

Moore's "law" states that the number of transistors on a chip will double every 18 months. A common interpretation of this is that processor power will double every 18 months.

15. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Ok, back on topic, what does this mean for all the people who are going to get the new hardware that is about to be released? (ALA Socket 939, BTX, PCI Express, and new vid cards) If these specs for Longhorn are to be beleived, we are going to be slammed with yet ANOTHER forced upgrade path. This is actually making me wonder if Microsoft is actually making a secret new OS that is going to coincide with the release of the newest hardware that everyone is going to be getting soon enough... The truth is out there somewhere... Actually, its about 20 miles away from me and I drive past it virtually every Saturday :waah:

16. sexykitten

sexykitten We love Jaz

did you bother to read what i put down?

17. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

Yes, but here is what I think:

Microsoft currently have longhorn setup for use with these outdated machines. Once the new technology has become available, they will optimise the code for these machines.

Another possible solution is that Longhorn will run on the outdated machines, but dreadfully.

18. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Yes I did, and frankly I have no reason to beleive what you said. Longhorn is still in its alpha stages. How many things have you actually been able to see in their alpha? If any, you know things change drastically over time. I know for a fact as well that Longhorn's alpha runs on Pentium 3 machines. I also know full well that the requirements can very easily spiral upwards. As a result, most speculation about what is going to happen to the computer market is valid, and you do not need to act as the final word in the discussion because you aren't.

19. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

its all abunch of horshsh*t it will all work out to be honest what more can we ask of computers there already doing everything imaginable

any way even if the hardware isn't out when the os comes out they can tweak it a little to run good i just hope it aint going to be like windows me

i still have a twitch in my eye every time somebody says that

Tags: Add Tags