1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Macro Black

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 1 Jan 2002.

1. yergus

yergus What's a Dremel?

So, how much to have you build one of these for me?

2. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Beautiful!

I bet it looks very nice in the daytime as well with all the gloss of the case.

3. macroman

macroman The One

4. Randland

Randland What's a Dremel?

Awesome update, just wondering if someone could give an indepth faq on how to build one of the HDD activity lights step by step. I am absolutely an idiot when it comes to electronics, but I can follow directions well. Other than that, I can't wait to find out how to do the rheostat and the cool power button. Hopefully that won't take 1½ months like this one did. Thanks alot Macro and keep up the good work :)

5. Randland

Just one more question, could you use an EL patch, kinda like they use on the light up case badges, to light up the logo? It may be brighter and provide smoother light than LEDs.:)

6. macroman

macroman The One

I tried using EL first but it wasn't bright enough, (for me anyway). If you notice the LEDs are not in a straight line but staggered, this is to try and follow the letters of the logo. In reallity the lighting is very even. BTW EL would cost more than the white LEDs.:(

Glad you like the case :)

7. Randland

Yeah, I figured that EL would be a more expensive alternative, but because I have not worked with it before I did not know how bright it was. Thanks for letting me know before I blew the bank on EL stuff. By the way, do you know of any good places to get good fiber optics in the US for cheap? I was also wondering what diameter is the best to stock up on.:)

8. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

nice, but sort of takes the mystery and awe out of it Where abouts could you pick up that oard stuff? radio shack, etc?

9. macroman

macroman The One

And there was me thinking that people actually wanted to know how it was done?;)

Radio Shack probably sell the bits but I'm sure Linear will be able to tell you where in the US to buy the stuff.

10. Randland

Another quick question I just thought of. Earlier in your article you said that you lost the pics on how to make the front, but it seemed pretty straitforward what you did. Now looking at closeups of the logo section there appears to be a kind of fuzzy black trim around the drive bays. I am not sure if that is just an optical illusion, or if you have a strip of some kind lining the edge of the drive bays?:confused:

11. macroman

macroman The One

Yes there is a strip of velvet like material around the drive bays to cushion the drive fronts and prevent any light leakage. I am going to cover this topic when I do the display/fanbus section. (You are the first to mention that - well spotted ;) ).

12. Randland

Well I would hope I would spot that, I have re-read your article at least 8 times now. My next case is going to be very much like yours, but I would like to do a Lord of the Rings motif with the elven writing light up like your logo. To tell you the truth this article is the reason I have joined this site and donated through pay-pal. You are truly a master.:)

13. macroman

macroman The One

Thank you very much. Your kind comments are appreciated.:)

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

Another great mystery is solved, great writeup on the light up writing ;)

I may have u use this idea in my VFD mounting ;)

15. firewars

firewars What's a Dremel?

Sweet last part there, macro :D

16. Toric

Toric What's a Dremel?

amazing case Macro, truly inspiring. I doubt I'd be modding today if I hadn't seen what you've done to your case. What other cases have you created in the past? What are you working on now? What else have you modded other than computer stuff???

17. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Beautiful and ingenious!

Macro Black should be entered as a Museum Piece :)

18. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

Inspiring to say the least.

Are you planning on covering the details of working with the acrylic itself? Specifically, I'm interested in the router work. I've read elsewhere that routers don't work well with acrylics etc.

19. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

man this must have taken a few weeks to just do the paint alone. lol
    i have gotten a lot of ideas for my new case that I am making right now so thank you.
    My case is not clear but I can do some cool things to it.

I went looking for the same little cosmetic things you have there for feet and I could not find them. Maybe it is because I am in canada lol

I ****ing hate it here it is so ****ing cold.
    Anyway man I commend you on a very well done case.
    :cool:

20. Randland

Hey Macro,

I was wondering if you could let me know how much Fiber-Optics to get and what kind. I am getting ready to place an order for some FO for the Lighted Fan Mod, but I would like to save some on shipping and I was wondering if you could let me know what to add to my cart. I know that you do not want to go into any information that is not found in your article yet, but just this little bit of info couldn't hurt at all. Thanks alot.:D

Tags: Add Tags