1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect 3 Origin edition detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jul 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

They really are pushing this Origin thing aggressively, aren't they? And instead of making it superior to Steam and allowing it to stand on its own merits, they'd rather just make stuff exclusive on it to try and force gamers into using it. Again, no thanks EA.

3. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

No ta.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

back when Steam started with HL2, it was the same as Origin now: exclusive, forcing gamers to use it, doesn't stand on its own merits (crashes all the time)

so you can't blame EA for copying what Valve did......

5. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

While I have a great deal of time for steam, there is definitely far too much (somewhat) unjustified steam love going around - while it's great it's not that great - and as wuyanxu mentioned it was hardly perfect when it came out (far from it). It's to no-one's benefit (except Valv's) to have one totally dominant digital distribution platform in the marketplace anyway...

6. Venares

Venares What's a Dremel?

Welcome to 8 years ago EA.
    Quit trying to play catch up for lord sake and stop screwing over your customers.
    Oh and 55 quid for a digital download, what the hell are they smoking over in EA land.

7. andi

andi What's a Dremel?

I will not be buying from Origin (just like GFWL) 2 reasons

1. I admit i used to share games with pals or illegal download games before steam
    2. Steam gave me the first platfom to play game after i bought an HD 2700 with free Half Life 2 (which i had already played see above)

So it looks like going back to the bad old days to play these games or till Origin falled like GFWL
    So no thanks EA. I will be playing the game but not from you

8. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Get lost, EA.

9. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

£55 wouldn't be bad if you got an actual comic book and artbook, complete with a nice case, but for everything to be digitalized it's too much money. For that price there has to be physical items in the deal.

10. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

question: EA aren't going to be selling anyone else's games are they? No indie titles? No other-publisher titles?

So every time you log in to Origin and forget about the other non-exclusive download services, you won't see indie titles or other PC games being marketed ... just EA ...

So EA are in effect splitting the PC gaming market?

11. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

steam/ origin are all pedelling electronic wares. I can see how EA would like to create their own distribution network as it means they can keep 100% of the profit. What annoys me about either is that if your selling an electronic copy your actually bypassing the entire production costs boxing costs etc and also missing the market streets slice of the pie but the games don`t come any cheaper, humph.

As raxonb said, I like tangible things or money of :p

12. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

OMG and they want to stop piracy.

£54 quid is to much...let alone for a digital download. FAIL!

13. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

^^ this

14. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

£55 for a freaking PC game NO THANKS ill wait for the normal retail copies to hit £20-25 and think ill think about it if it turns out to be any good. maybe ill wait for bargin basement too and get it at £15

15. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Uh yeah... 8 years ago. If EA is competing on based on then instead of the present they have already lost. They have to come up with something new to capture the market, the best they can hope for at this rate is a mild splintering and a lot of annoyed PC gamers.

16. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Well I have to say that I'm with the majority here.

The £55 package would seem quite reasonable if you got an actual box with actual prints, especially the lithographic one, which is basically worthless in digital form, but could make a nice show piece if it were a hardcopy.

Digital downloads have their place and no matter the platform can provide publishers with one way of getting their games out, but for this, no thanks and that is not good coming from a fan who has played and thoroughly enjoyed the first two games in the series and who is really looking forward to seeing a quality motion picture when the time comes.

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

£55 for the deluxe version. I'll stick to the standard version. Or may get it on xbox. (Runs and hides)

18. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Hmmm, make that a real hoody, that I could wear rather than my in game character, then we'll talk.

19. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Considering that lithography is a printing technique, a 'Digital 4x6 lithographic' makes no sense. Make that a real print with artbook and hoodie and then I'll buy it.

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

So... does this mean I can wave goodbye to ME3 on STEAM?

Tags: Add Tags