1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect 3 release date announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Nice to see that it's being released on all platforms at the same time, but it's too late for me now, I've already bought into the PC version.

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

My post has spoilers.

I kind of want to get this over and done with. After the first game I felt like the reapers were a real threat, and I assumed the next couple of games would be trying to keep the reapers locked in dark space, since there was no way the current armies could handle more than a couple of them at a time, let alone thousands.

Cut to the ME2 story, which meandered around for a while with the recruitment stuff before finding the reaper factory and shutting it down. Kind of lame, but the rest of the game was excellent so I didn't mind. But now with the Arrival DLC it turns out the reaper fleet was on its way the whole time and they're here now.

Wait, what? How the hell does this make sense according to the first games fiction? And now reapers don't feel like threats at all. Just another army. It's obvious if you gained enough allies over the first couple of games you win. Sure there might be some drama and losses, but at the end of the day the fiction has gone from something I really loved to something I expect to be mediocre. I hope I'm wrong but I actually feel more trepidation towards this title than excitement. I just can't shake the feeling that they're going to have generic crap for a story.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Can't wait for this, good or bad. It's knowing whether it made or broke the series with the final story that's killing me!

9 months will not go quickly. :(

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Shucks, I thought this would be released before Christmas this year. Never mind, I hope the extra few months gives Bioware sufficient time to polish it - I loved the first two games!

Good to see a simultaneous launch too - as I played the first 2 on the PC. :)

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

When this drops through my letter box next March I will make a sound something like..squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:

7. mark1903

mark1903 Minimodder

I just got the both ME1 and 2 in the steam sale a few weeks ago and already can't wait for 3 :)

8. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

It's more likely to be a an "Ah, it's arrived then" from me with an inward "WAHEY! WHOOP! YIPPEE! YAY!" and much running around in Daffy Duck-esque fashion :D

Unfortunately March seems a looong time away :sigh:

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I agree with this.

The first game portrayed a single Reaper (Sovereign) as being able to annihilate with ease even the most powerful ships (dreadnoughts) from the known space races, and shake off incoming fire from an entire fleet with minimal damage (heck it was only defeated when it lost its shields any the known races fired everything they had at it...). Yet we are now meant to believe that they are just one more enemy for us to fight?

The space battle in Mass Effect really reminded me of the Battle of Wolf 359 mixed with the Battle of sector 001 in Star Trek. Entire Fleets of Federation starships utterly decimated by a single Borg Cube (not even a tactical cube...). The Enterprise saved the day but at a catastrophic cost to the Federation.

It will be interesting to see how the Known races manage to stand up against more than one fully powered Reaper.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I see the "Independence Day" angle coming into play here. Shepard's just going to upload a virus. Game over!

Tags: Add Tags