1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice mATX case with ATX board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bede, 7 May 2015.

1. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I have, as my sig suggests, an ATX-sized motherboard (MSI p67-gd53) paired with a 2500K, in a bloody great big Coolermaster case. I'd like a mATX-sized case...

The simplest solutions seem to me:

1. Replace ATX motherboard with mATX mobo. Cost: £75-150
    2. Replace current mobo and CPU with new generation equivalents. Cost: ~£300

However, there is negligible performance benefit to be gained from buying an i5-4960K and it seems wasteful to buy an EOL z68/z77 mATX mobo.

So a third option presents itself:

3. Keep current hardware, replace case with smaller case.

Are there any suggestions for a small/very small case which can fit an ATX motherboard?

Edit:

4. I suppose selling current mobo/cpu would net me about £120, so that would offset some of the cost of option 2. Still seems wasteful!

Last edited: 7 May 2015
  2. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I know your problem all too well. Although in my situation, I've gone from a Q6600 to an i5-4670k which is a bit more of a jump.

I've also gone from the enormous Cosmos to a Bitfenix Prodigy - I think I could actually put the Prodigy inside the Cosmos and still have room for a full ATX build :p

Lian-Li did a A05NA a while back which looked good, not sure if it is still available. Cooler Master do the Elite 361 for around £31 from Amazon which can accommodate a full size ATX board - here

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

The mATX BitFenix cases are utterly gorgeous, though really bloody wide a/c their specs. Something with their styling/build quality, and the Elite 361's 150mm width - that I would pay good money for.

The Elite is cheap enough that it might just be worth a punt, thank you for the suggestion.

4. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

You did not say what CoolerMaster case you have but your description suggests a "Full" tower which are huge. Note that most "mid tower" cases will support an ATX motherboard too and are considerably smaller than the Full tower cases.

If you tell us the model number (or dimensions) of your current case, we will have a better idea of where to go from there.

But I caution that the smaller the case, the greater the cooling challenges.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Last edited: 8 May 2015
  6. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Note that Lian Li is a "Mid" tower, not full. You don't need a "full" tower case unless you have 10 drives or more.

I like Lian Li cases. The are well know for some of the best aluminum cases. But they do tend to be pretty pricy. They usually don't have removable, washable filters either - a personal "must" for me.

The Corsair Carbide 200R has received good reviews, is a little bit smaller than the Lian Li, has removable, washable filers, and is lot less expensive. I actually prefer Antec cases but cannot find any Antec mid-towers smaller than the Corsair.

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Thank you all very much for your suggestions.

As per signature, Coolermaster CM 690 II - a mid-tower, but frankly if that's a mid-tower I'd hate to see a full tower! Reducing the width is my primary concern, height secondary but also important.

W: 215mm, H: 496mm, D: 530mm.

I'm also quite keen that it be capable of damping the hurricane that is my GPU cooler. Cooling not a great issue, I've never been too concerned about reasonable temps.

After looking at your suggestions I'm starting to think I'm going to have to go full mATX... The AO5 is gorgeous, very tall but very nice!

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

What about m-itx?

9. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

A look at the last line in my sig suggests I feel a bit differently. I am not a fanatic by any means, nor do I seek the coolest temps possible (I'm happy if my CPU temps stay below 60°C). But maintaining "reasonable temps" is critical for stable operation and normal life expectancy of your components. And actually a skinny case can present problems here because they restrict the size of the fans more than wider cases. Bigger fans (120mm or larger) move lots of air while spinning slower - thus making less noise.

Is your concern with width due to desk space? If so, what about the floor?

10. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

I've not seen any ITX case that will support an ATX size motherboard.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

The Corsair Carbide 200R is bigger than the Lian Li:

497mm x 210mm x 430mm
    vs
    490mm x 210mm x 381mm

I didn't pay much attention to what the case is referred to. Simply the layout.

The Lian Li manages to be less tall by, rather than mounting the PSU above or below the motherboard (like the 200R), mounting it in front below the drive bays.

Ultimately if you are using full atx components and typical orientations without overhanging the motherboard you limited by:
    a) The height/depth of the board
    b) The depth/width of the PSU.

That in mind, baring cutting down on excess space, the Lian Li layout seems like more or less the best you can do:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 May 2015
  12. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

mod the case and make it smaller :D

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Cooltek W2?
    [​IMG]
    I think it's one of the smallest around, though perhaps it's too wide for you since the PSU is moved behind the motherboard. I swore there was a similar narrower case that had the PSU mounted so it hangs over the CPU but I can't seem to find it.