1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Max Payne film fails to wow critics

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Oct 2008.

1. Panos

Panos Minimodder

I have watch the trailers and I believe it doesn't look promishing. Also Doom was a pile of.......

I believe by far the best adaptation of a game on the big screen was Hitman.
    And from the comics, Iron Man.
    After that.....chaos.

2. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

I'd say Tomb Raider is probably the best video game movie in terms of actual watchability (read: Angelina's funbags). Hitman might have been good if a) the plot didn't suck and b) the Hitman character wasn't the stupidest dolt ever (when a hot slightly-drunk chick pushes you on the bed, climbs on top of you and starts pulling off her dress, the appropriate response is to do what evolution commands you to, not stick her with a needle full of sedative).

3. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

@Dark. TR was a good movie and AJ played Lara very well.

Hitmans plot did suck and I hate how they cut out his up bring. As for Agent 47’s personality its meant to be professional, cold and full of darkness. Getting a hot piece of ass isn't on the agenda of a carefully programmed assassin such as 47. You might be better off watching a James Bond movie. Super spies get ass 24/7 and assassins kick ass 24/7 which is funny because Olga Kurylenko is playing a bond girl in the new bond movie.

4. jweller

jweller What's a Dremel?

Don't pay attention to reveiwers

There doesn't seem to be much correlation between good/bad reviews and someone deciding to see a particular film. I know it doesn't for me. I think we scifi enthusiasts pretty much always go see the "blockbusters" regardless.

I've discovered that if a film is universally disliked by critics I'll usually like and visa versa if they universally love it I will hate it. Go figure.

5. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I absolutely refuse to believe that Mila Kunis didn' come out looking good.

6. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

No Weisz. No Mona.

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Best game-to-movie translation for me is definitely Silent Hill. It's almost perfect.

Doom I gave a chance because critics often get it wrong with these kinds of movies. With Doom, sadly they weren't. Had they stuck to a story that resembles Doom 3 more, it may have been better.

Tomb Raider 1 and 2 also very reasonably good. The opening scene from TR2 actually reminded me a lot of the (early) games.

Hitman I actually found entertaining, even if it also threw the games' back story overboard.

8. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I think the problem with games to movies is that they underestimate the audience.Hitman was a perfect examph a le the took a series of games about a cold assasin with a really twisted life story and made it into an espionage film about explosions, gun shoot outs and girls who show boobage. It's really pandering to the lowest common denominator and hoping for sales off the name recognition, not off the content of often times deep or intersting stories. I think the movie industry thinks we as gamers all sit in our parents basement with mountain dew and cheeto stained hands waiting for the next thing to explode or a sideboob from angelina jolie.
    I had hopes that max payne coulda been good cause it's a decent film noir plot ahh well I'll still see it

9. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

have you been living in a cave? between adblock and torrented tv i don't see a lot of advertising, but even i've seen this thing all over the place. plus walhberg has been really outdoing himself in the cockiness department, getting all kinds of press for saying things like it's a better film than the dark knight.

10. Haltech

Haltech What's a Dremel?

Max Payne movie adaptation starring Max Wahlberg"

Got alittle antzy writing Max? Technically is suppose to be be Mark

But yes, I have found critics to be very bad judges on movies so Ill still see it.

11. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

But you might spend one hour and deside movie is crap.So one hour is gone.If critics say max P is a crap.Then it is a crap.Doom movie also a bad one .play games instead of watching addaptations

12. Xir

Xir Modder

... it's not even Uwe Bolll....Buuuh!

:D

13. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Uwe Boll is directing the Far Cry movie :( The only movie i like of his was Postal.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

I know...can't explain how he got his main character cast though...Till Schweiger should know better ;-)

15. strjms72

strjms72 What's a Dremel?

this movie looks sikk!

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

hitman was shockingly bad, they could of hired some actors for it at least.
    Silent hill was bad, but no worse than mst horros are now.
    Resident evils ahev just gone form bad to worse.
    Doom had it's good mom,ents, in a brainless action way, but i'd never buy it or watch it again.
    Mortal combat was good because it new it was bad, it welcomed the cheesey with open arms and embraced it.

17. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Despite the critics I believe the movie has topped the Box Office over the weekend here in the US; given though the offering wasn't very good anyway among movies that have released. It was competing with the likes of Beverly Hills Chihuahua.

18. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Just finished watching this and it is very clear that there is a really good film in here somewhere, however the people responsible for the cinematic cut should run for there lives as the are guilty of butchering this story. The Performances are good, the style and tone of the film is superb but the way this edit has been thrown together and very obviously has had some largish chuck cut out destroys the rhythm of the entire thing. Such a shame.

Tags: Add Tags