1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

If anyone has a decent idea for keycaps, Massdrop are running a competition of sorts... here

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So my black widow has just killed off like 7 keys randomly so im in the market for a new one.
    im looking for something minimalist and clean with no key pad.
    RGB with fancy effects would be nice. double shot caps and little to no branding or silly font style on the keys.

Looking for mx brown or possibly mx speed.

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So might pull the trigger on the Ducky One TKL Rgb,
    Anything else like that I should consider?

The cooler master masterkeys rgb effects arnt very good and seem to lag much more than the duckys and have more basic effects. Also the caps are not double shot which on its own isn't a deal breaker on its own.

4. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I have a G Skill KM780 Board with MX brown switches. It's problematic as it often repeats keystrokes. Like double or often triple characters.
    Mostly this happens with the x c and e keys as well as the space bar. Words will be like "spaccce" etc.
    Any idea what the most probable cause of this would be? And should this be repairable before i replace the board? No return or warranty option as it was kindly given to me for free in the marketplace here on the forums.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Check for any firmware/bios update. If it's not that or a known issue I would replace one of the switches, then see if that fixes that particular switch.

6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

If you want to do more research on that problem, it's called "chattering". There's a lot of info out there, not much that is helfpul though. You can get a program that detects chatter and will only output one key.

How often does it happen? Once a minute? Every few seconds?

7. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

just wanted to post an amusing update.

Some of you might mention me complaining a while ago about Ctrl+Alt and the amount of time I have been waiting for an order that i placed a couple of years ago now and the list of excuses that I have been given for the delays.

Well i still don't have the product I paid for, I have chased for an update as otherwise i dont think i would get one. I cant even remember how long ago I ordered and paid for this kit, but i don know I send a chase email back in January 2016 to find out what was going on to get an update and its been ongoing since then. HERE is the original post i made here about it all and some of the following posts can be see scrolling down.

Its taken so long the Ctrlalt website no longer has my order history this is now beyond a joke, I would urge everyone to avoid any group buy through Ctrl Atl that isnt a bro caps buy, And im annoyed as when i first got into Mechs I was enjoying the community and all aspects of it but this has just killed it all for me.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Wow, that is piss poor. I hope do eventually get your order, but I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole for anything after a performance like that.

Group buys tend to be long, drawn out affairs at the best of times, but there is no excuse for that.

9. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Like i said the only way i will go near them is for a Bro Caps buy as CtrlALt just act as the middle mad Bro makes all the caps and does the hard work.

But yea its been a huge issue and the amount of times i have forgotten about my JD40 order to remember when browsing reddit and seeing a small KB someone has made is mad. I have messaged Bunny today so lets see how long it takes to get a reply and what that reply is, Finger crossed its good news.

And I understand buys take time as obviously things need to be made then shipped, checked, packed and then shipped to people again. But this takes the Michael

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I had a bit of chatter on my K65 rapidfire, or so I thought. It could have been because I spent years with a surprisingly heavy laptop keyboard while these are much more sensitive. Anyway, O-rings fixed my issue. I remove my finger from the key before the "chatter" starts.

Now that I've gotten my first taste of mech keyboards... I kinda want want a 60% or 60%+F-keys keyboard with similar switches to the MX Speed switches.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So I've spent the last few weeks trying to find a replacement for my trusty old Microsoft comfort curve 2000 (don't laugh) and sadly I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably only find what I'm looking for in the world of mechanical keyboards.

I say sadly as every video I've listened to makes it seem that mechanical keyboards sound like someones shooting plastic bb pellets from a plastic gun into plastic bottles, the thing is it's not clear if they only sound like that because of the way they were recorded and the volume of the playback.

With that in mind what would be a relatively quiet tactile switch and does the design of the keyboard itself effect the how noisy a switch is?

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's what i first thought but after having looked at so many switches and keyboards i think my brains turned to mush, am i right in saying reds were designed to be quieter but are linear and they've not done the same for the tactile switches?

13. David

Reds are linear - you still get noise when bottoming out the key and from the return clack.

There are different types of tactile switches - Clicky tactile switches like Blues or Greens are pretty noisy, whereas Browns still have a tactile bump but are no louder than Reds.

BTW, O rings only really succeed in making your nice mech board feel like a $5 rubber dome POS.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If there's an alternative I'm all ears as like i said every time i listen to a video of a mechanical keyboard it makes me cringe like someones running finger nails down a blackboard.

You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to find a relatively quiet tenkeyless keyboard with white only backlighting, the closest I've found is the Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro S White LED using brown switches but it seems really noisy, something like a matias quiet click sounds better but it seems they lack backlighting.

15. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Trying to find a full size mech board that won't break the bank is the challenge at the moment. Whilst I have a Cooler Master stealth something or other the fact that its not a full size keyboard has now become rather tiresome.

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Have you considered a separate numberpad?
    Much cheaper than replacing the whole keyboard.

Behemoth likes this.
  17. David

This

My daily driver is a TKL, but I have a Goldtouch GTC-0077 Numpad with MX Browns on hand for occasional use.

Prices do fluctuate quite a bit, mind. Mine was less than £20 new.

Behemoth likes this.
  18. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Have you tried aliexpress for keyboards?

19. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

No I hadn't thought of that. Thats a very good idea :)

20. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Are any of the cheapo mechanical keyboards available on Amazon any good?
    I am on the lookout for a blue switch mech keyboard but funds are not massive right now and have been tempted by a few of the' no name'keyboards'available there.
    Looking for some advice.