1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft acquires Irish middleware giant Havok

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Oct 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Can't see Microsoft wanting to carry on offering licences to third parties.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's not uncommon for them to have a financial stake in their competitors, though.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

True it's not uncommon and we can only hope they don't role the essence of Havok (physics) into DX and keep that as a Windows only API, I'm not going to say they're defiantly going to incorporate Havok into DX or that DX is going to remain Windows only, just that I wouldn't be surprised if in 6-7 years, with Microsoft's next gen XBox, that's exactly what happens.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Seems a little late for them to be buying Havok now. I never understood why Intel bought Havok though (I guess to prove against Nvidia that CPUs are still relevant for physics processing?). If Intel implemented GPU acceleration for Havok they would have a huge advantage over nvidia, since modern intel IGPs are plenty good enough for physics processing and the vast majority of computers have an intel IGP whether they're using it or not.