1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft extends Win 7 download cap

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 12 Jan 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. quack

quack Minimodder

I have both ISOs, and the keys, but no SATA drive to install it on at the moment! I want to test out the 64-bit version without affecting my existing XP or Vista so will be using a separate hard drive.

I really do hate how quickly PATA and old molex connectors became obsolete, I have 4 PATA hard drives just sitting in a pile and I can't use any of them!

3. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

How kind, the 64-bit download is refusing to start for me at the moment though :(

4. Doyleyboy

Doyleyboy What's a Dremel?

really? you cant use an IDE drive at all? or is it just on the 64 bit versions like vista? i think maybe you could use the 32 bit version with a PATA/IDE drive. anyone know for sure?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I think quack is referring to the fact that his motherboard doesn't have any IDE connectivity. I'm not aware of anything in Windows 7 that would prevent it being installed on an IDE drive.

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Can i install under VM?

7. quack

quack Minimodder

Correct. Maybe I should've elaborated a bit more.

Now although I do have an IDE port on my motherboard but I'd really rather not use it, and I'd have to go through a lot of effort to attach a floppy or molex power cable to my modular PSU.

I've bitten the bullet and decided to buy another SATA hard drive, same spec as my 2 current drives (1 for XP, 1 for Vista), and will keep it as a spare just in case one of the others dies once I'm done playing with Windows 7.

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yes, Obi, you can. Just the Aero stuff won't work.
    More information in the Windows 7 Public Beta News thread.

I don't really care about MS' download cap as I downloaded the x86 ISO yesterday within 1 hour via BitTorrent. :p

9. quack

quack Minimodder

Yes, you can run it on Virtual PC and VMWare. I currently have it running in VMWare, you don't get any aero effects however.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

same here, Vmware but no aero :(

have got 64bit ISO only, if installing to a desktop, no point messing around with 32bit at all

11. Xir

Xir Modder

"...pick the next version of Windows up some time around Service Pack 2"

Correct...this means i'm thinking about getting Vista this year ;-)

12. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

Just downloaded it. It's not like I am going to delete my current XP though. New partition time!

But sadly, to free up disk space, I got rid of Ubuntu. Hopefully windows 7 might be better?

13. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

I went through with the sign-up to grab my Beta key. And when it redirected me, I got a nice "Page not found" error message.
    In both Internet Explorer and Opera. That's flipping lame.

Gahhh...

14. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

No problem with x64... My laptop battery is great now!
    2h20 for Windows 7
    1h30 for Windows Vista

That is what I call an improvement!! :D

15. MBR

MBR UBEROUS M@X1MUS L33TUS

Well i already had a go at the pre-beta using other means. Was very impressed with the speed improvements in that one as compared to the Windows 2008 (yes thats where i game and work - trust me its VISTA with out the rubbish).

Does anyone know if i can run games on this beta :-D

Man i love living on "the Bleeding Edge"

Last edited: 12 Jan 2009
  16. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Wow i should get this running as mine lasts 2 hours on a 8 cell battery

17. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I've had a quick play around with the 64bit beta in a VM and I like it a lot. I definitely prefer it to Vista and I now definitely won't ever use Vista at home. I'll be jumping straight from XP to 7. IMHO Win7 is what Vista should have been.

Now I just want to find out more details on the media center functionality in Win7 and DirectX11. I noticed DX11 is installed out the box with Win7 which is nice.

18. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

The battery life does seem to be improved, a quick test with RMClock shows the power consumption to have dropped by up to 2000mW. I'm not sure how it was achieved but there is definitely a tangible improvement.

Performance wise, it feels a bit snappier on my c2d 1.66 laptop. Either way it'll be staying on the hard drive for a while longer.

19. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

I upgraded my primary Vista HPx64 install, and it works just great. Had to reinstall nVidia drivers, and the only thing that doesn't work is my MS VX-3000 webcam (lol - even MS doesn't update its own drivers). Adobe Master Suite, FAH GPU, Lightroom x64, Carbonite, Live Sync, etc. all work nice and fast. Didn't have to reinstall any progs.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've been using Windows 7 for a while now, and I am more than impressed.

Never before have I not needed a driver disk when installing Windows. I have installed one driver on my Win7 test box, and that's the ATi Win7 beta drivers (Which work just as well as the Vista non-beta ones btw).

I've got it running on an Opteron 146 (@2.4ghz), 1gb of RAM and a 3870 - And it runs like a dream. Hell, the games I've tried on it run like a dream. Biggest thing for me? Red Alert 2 works on it, properly.

Windows 7 is absolutely what Vista should have been, and I look forward to its retail launch.

Very glad they've taken the 'cap' off (Though, 2.5m is hardly a small quantatity in the first place) - Got a friend on the beta too, and he's liking it.

Tags: Add Tags