1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft fixes Broken Steel DLC for Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

id like to carry on the game after finishing it...BUT why o why o WHY must i use GFWL? argh :(

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've said it before and I'll say it again... when they release the DLC on a DVD, like with Knights of the Nine for Oblivion - then I'll buy it. But after the horror stories about GfWL that are percolating through the 'net... I'd rather avoid it if I can.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Really enjoying broken steel right now, much better than the previous DLC packs.

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Well, you know how to fix that, don't you, Bethesda? :rolleyes:

When DRM gets in the way of actually playing the game it becomes more important than ever to give it the middle finger.

6. sear

sear Guest

Broken Steel is absolutely excellent and more than worth the asking price - not to discredit the other DLC packs, but it definitely has the most content as well as the most time and effort put into it. You can't really go wrong with a Tesla Cannon, either. Still, I was one of those who had to sit through the issues (I got it partly working for a while after they took it off the service, but I don't think it downloaded correctly because I got lots of crashes and such).

Games for Windows LIVE is, in theory, not so bad, but in practice it is absolutely astoundingly half-assed and half-broken. It is not ready for primetime and Microsoft needs to vastly improve their quality assurance before they start forcing it on customers. It's one thing to screw up once. Do it twice, and you're going to raise some eyebrows. I'm pretty sure the first DLC also had problems related to Games for Windows LIVE as well, so that's number three. If the rumoured fourth DLC turns out to be real (I have no reason to believe it isn't) then it had better steer clear of the issues or it's going to leave a really, really bad taste in the mouths of fans.

By the way, if you're planning on holding out on a retail release - you may not want to. Even if a disc version does come out of all the DLC packs (the first two are already confirmed), it may in fact just be a download code that still requires you to use Games for Windows LIVE anyway. Microsoft has done similar stuff i the past with, say, Gears of War and Halo 3 map packs, and I would not be surprised if it's the same thing here. Remember, Fallout 3 is a vessel to get Games for Windows LIVE onto gamers' computers and into their play experience - the last thing Microsoft is likely to do is let players easily avoid it.

7. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

the 'fallout review' is no link. and yes i am too lazy to use the search, but not too lazy to rant about it. get over it.

8. ChuckyP83

ChuckyP83 What's a Dremel?

rabble rabble rabble...search...rabble...

9. deanbsfx

deanbsfx deanbmmv

I have 1 week of Uni left, and when I'm done I'm gonna pick the DLC up. So I suppose its a bonus I've not had to go through these issues.
    Incidentally why is the lead text for this article about Steam getting global achievments - "Only 1.9 percent took gnome to space."?

10. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

As fun and enjoyable as the Fo3 experience was I don't feel I'm missing out on anything special by boycotting GFWL. If the dlc appears on a disk, or steam, or..., then I'll probably buy it but I flat out refuse to give MS any more control over my PC than they already have. I have no love for Sony either but this multi-platform, milti-outlet release, limited platform, single outlet update strategy is just wrong.

11. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I don't even know if GFWL works properly on my copy fo FO3. I haven't unlocked any achievements, even though i've compleated most the missions. Is that how they are supposed to be unlocked??? I dunno.
    I wish i hadn't bothered with it all. FO3 was ho hum and lacking any of the humour the other games had, and I don't even know how to get GFWL to do what ever it is it does.

12. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

/me took the gnome to space.

Tags: Add Tags