1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft offering XP downgrade

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 24 Sep 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I know that our school PCs used to be able to log on and print something off in under 1min under XP pro, where as its now closer to 5 with Vista.

I have a copy of vista here, but I won't be upgrading to it from XP for a while to come.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Vista supporter here ^^

its more than half-a-year already.. its time to put the nail in XP's coffin :p

4. noobarino

noobarino What's a Dremel?

win 98 or winxp Cheesecake

5. Djpuk

Djpuk What's a Dremel?

Only really good if the manufacturer has written XP drivers, we tried to downgrade one of the new HP notebooks recently and you will find problems as some components have not had XP drivers written for them, well at least not yet anyway!

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I'm happy with vista, but I see where businesses are coming from. As a home user I'm having a few problems. I can't imagine the sort of hell setting up 100's of vista machines would cause.

7. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Worth having a look at this Microsoft Information Sheet

Further information from OEM system builders site.

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

We had 4 brand new Dell laptops into work last week, two of the managers decided to keep XP (including my boss, the head of IT), the other two insisted on Vista.
    Fortunately I had loads of Dell XP install disks lying around, and because it's a dell, you will never be asked for an installation key, it just validates. Handy eh?

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

most people are still waiting for SP1.....

10. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

most people are going to be disappointed IMO

SP1 is mainly a rollup of all the fixes to date, plus a few more
    It doesn't change the "vista experience" so if your waiting for SP1, your wasting your time

I think the problem is, XP was plagued with issues when it was released, i remember all the bad press, then SP1 came out, it fixed most of the XP issues (a lot of which was compatibility if my memory serves)
    However, vista SP1 really isn't going to do that (imo) so if you want vista, you'd do just as well to get it now

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Vista? problem? those 2 words never stays in 1 sentence in my book.

installed Vista on a Sempron 2800 computer, worked very well, installed Vista on my shinny new rig, worked even better.

i can't see why anyone know how to use a computer have problem with Vista. (know how to use a computer also includes know how to pick a graphics card)
    and i can't see why new computers shouldn't have Vista

12. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

I don't think it's just a case of how well (or badly) Vista performs compared to XP. I found out about the downgrade option today by googling as my step-dad has just bought 4 PC pre-installed with Vista Ultimate & the accountancy software for his company wont work on them. It's either downgrading or £300 to buy the latest version of the accounts software.

There's also some other specific software that wont work on Vista either & it could be very expensive to upgrade to the latest versions, (that's if some of them even have a version that works with Vista).

so, yeah. I think it's a good idea. Otherwise it'd cost 4*£80 (£320) to purchase new XP licences for the PC's.

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the problem comes from hardware and software companies that create "spaghetti" code, it works ok on XP but its a headache to modify or port to other OS.

14. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I have been using Vista since April and I love it. I won't go back to XP on my main PC. My Macbook will be dual-booting XP, but that's about it.

15. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

What i find laughable here is that vista's downgrade will be available at little or no charge. So, then, you charge people to downgrade eh? WTF guys?

16. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

Why would you buy a vista machine to downgrade?

The process is simple and wouldn't cost someone who knows how anything.

But if you don't know how to install windows, you'd have to pay someone to do it for you. That's gonna cost.

17. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

if you have a macbook... why on earth do you have something ruining something like windows?

18. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

The charge from OEMs is for the price of the disc. Normally they charge you around $5 for a recovery cd anyways so it's not a real big deal.

19. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

And therein lies the problem. A lot of companies, like the one I do support for, have users who use a computer for their job, but haven't a clue how to "use a computer". They learn just what they need to know in order to do their job, but are clueless about anything else. My day is spent dealing with calls such as "is the server down?" (We have over 20 servers idiot - which one?), or "is the internet down?" (of course... the whole internet is down... pfft). Most of them won't even read an error message let alone comprehend what it is saying. So suddenly putting a laptop in front of them where all the shortcuts are in different places, and you have to work out (slightly) different ways of doing the same things - well they'll either have brain meltdown or be on the phone to me every 5 minutes saying "how do I ...".

So most IT people are probably thinking, like myself; wait till most of them have bought new home computers with Vista, and are forced to learn the basics on their own time. That way when you give them Vista in a year or so, no problems. Hell, I haven't even got round to putting Vista on any of my own machines - even though I've got an OEM copy of Ultimate edition that's been sitting in my cupboard for 6 months. I just can't be bothered, although I suppose I'll have to fairly soon.

20. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

To me, the issue is more of a question as to whether my customers will a) pay for the cost to upgrade a perfectly capable system b) pay to upgrade the perfectly capable staff.

In business, cost is always the bottom line.

Tags: Add Tags