1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft: "PC gaming is very important to us"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Jun 2010.

1. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Damn right it's important to them. PC gaming on Windows is what props up their whole house-of-cards business model. As others have already said, if it wasn't for Windows' monopoly on PC gaming, the Windows client OS would not have anywhere near the desktop market share it currently enjoys. And if you don't believe me, take a look at the server market and ask yourself why MS have failed to achieve the same market dominance.

PC gaming is the only reason people choose Windows. Full Stop.
    The alternative OSes are as good, if not better, at doing anything else and they're a damn sight cheaper.

2. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

My nan didn't choose W7 for gaming, she chose it because I reccomended it.

I chose windows for gaming, then people who know me usually choose windows for reccomendation from myself

Last edited: 23 Jun 2010
  3. battles_atlas

battles_atlas What's a Dremel?

I don't see this at all. The vast majority of operating systems are sold either for personal use to people who want word processing and internet browsing, and who's interest in games doesn't stretch beyond The Sims at most, or to companys, who have no interest in games beyond making sure they stay off their machines. Truth is games are not a massive direct driver of Windows sales. They're definitely part of the picture, but I bet the sales are a poor third behind the two markets above.

4. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I'd be the same way. Linux runs more efficiently than Windows, we all know that, but like others have said driver support in Linux isn't the same as Windows. C'mon ATi/nVidia! Linux driver support for you newest cards please and I might have a reason to try Wine.

Exactly!!!!

Haven't played Fable II because I played the original on PC and wouldn't play it any other way, so I'm definitely pumped for this announcement.

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Fable = meh tbh, i'd rather buy the expansion for dragons age and start a new character in that.

fable is just not rpg enough for me, too casual not enough stats =]

6. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

We're heading for a point where Microsoft are no longer important to PC gaming - when Steam arrives on Linux as has been announced, the barriers to linux gaming fall away, such as the complicated installs and having to download separate installers. Not only that, but it'll potentially open the floodgates for other developers who can use OpenGL and OpenAL by default and have it work on almost all platforms besides the RROD 360.

If you can save yourself up to £200 on Vista SP3, download a free OS from the internet without any activation issues and get new features every 6 months for free and still play your Steam games on an OS that has a much lower footprint and currently doesn't need antivirus software, what are you going to do? I'll be spending OS money on games, personally.

Lets not forget, Apple are also selling nearly 3 million macs every quarter - that's a lot of potential Windows-free gamers.

7. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

@gavomatic57
    Agreed. With Valve making Source OpenGL etc compatible, and Rage also doing this, there seems to be a movement towards game engines that are platform agnostic. If this happens, Microsoft will be forced to work harder to keep Windows as the de facto standard (tautology?). Hopefully they won't wait until that happens to start putting more effort into PC gaming.

8. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

I grew up with consoles, apart from my spectrum +2. I had a sega master system, then a SNES, then a playstation. I didn't discover pc gaming until I was in my mid twenties.

9. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Last console I had was a SNES and then I went straight on to a PC - unfortunately, gaming on it wasn't something I could do, but the ability of being able to play games on a PC fuel my passion and now I'm a console-free, PC gaming hardware enthusiast (that's my official title).

I don't think I'll ever own another console - if PC gaming does die, then that part of me will die as well. However, I don't see PC gaming dying at all tbh, they'll always be someone out that there that shares my passion but obviously with more creative drive and flare.

10. fatty beef

fatty beef State Side

to bad when you buy a bargin OEM pc it doesnt deliver all of the gaming power one would hope for or expect

that doesnt really help the situation

11. binary101

binary101 What's a Dremel?

Well done Microsoft, say you love the PC every year at E3 and do NOTHING to support it, they said PC gaming was important two years ago, they said it last year while firing their own developers like ACES Game Studio, RIP MS Flight Simulator I'll miss you. They said it this year and they'll say it every year, while promoting Xbox 360 and do nothing for the PC.

Why would Microsoft do anything just for the PC when they got 3rd Party developers making and showing off PC games for them, and why would 3rd parties go out of their way to show PC games when

12. binary101

binary101 What's a Dremel?

^ the console market is so strong and more value when MS, Sony and Nintendo is paying huge amounts to make games for their consoles. Chicken and egg thing anyone?

13. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Considering how garbage 2 was, not sure what to WOOHOO about. Talk about simplistic tripe.

14. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

Same, grew up with consoles, got into PC, never looked back.

15. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

What this guy says:

16. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If all they're going to keep giving us is hopelessly obvious X-box ports, then I'm really not interested.

17. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

"I work at MS (not in the games group though). there have been a lot of job openings in the games group, especially the PC area. I think MS is trying to re-invigorate their PC gaming activities."

I ran across that qoute at another forum back in May. It seemed legit enough.

Microsoft needs PC gaming. PC gaming is where next gen games/hardware originate. Without PC gaming they wouldn't have anywhere to steal ideas/devs from for their next XBOX.

18. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

Age of Empires 4, and get ensemble back together, 'nough said

19. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Really?
    That goodness for that.
    Just as long as we don't need several different systems running in the background.

20. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Microsoft: "PC gaming is very important to us" - hmm, i remember 'hellbender' and thinking that Microsoft should leave games development to people who know what they are doing....

Tags: Add Tags