1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Mini-Box 200w PSU Why?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jgrade, 19 Aug 2004.

1. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

I am new to small form factor, but I saw this at Sharky Extreme.

Question; what would one need 200w for in a small form factor? I was under the impression that the smaller the better. How many components could you squeeze or want in a small form factor box? Have I got the whole concept bass ackward?

2. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

200w is about the minimum to run anything, SFF or not. All the v1 Shuttles (except maybe the Zen?) came with 200w PSUs. If you want to power your high-end CPU, video card, and WD Raptor, plus a DVD burner or something like that, 200w is the bare minimum. The whole point of SFF (in my opinion, anyway) is to put as many of your original components in a smaller box, and not have to give up any of the functionality.

3. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

Mini-Box mainly gears their stuff towards the Mini-ITX crowd. Which doesn't need as much.

This supply is probably geared for people who want Mini-ITX file servers with four normal hard drives. Or for the people that think they need a 500 Watt power supply and 3.5 ghz processor for a computer to be any use.

4. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Incorrect. ATI AIW 9800 needs a 300 watt psu to get full performance, with normal ATA drives. I have a ssf 64 bit, with gig ram, dual layer dvd burner, serial ata, ATI AIW 9800 Pro, and it takes a lot of the 240 watt sff psu i got...

5. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

What Mini-ITX motherboard can you run a 9800 AIW on?

Tags: