1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Mobo Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Hateorade, 28 Oct 2014.

1. Hateorade

Hateorade A glass a day keeps the doctor away

If i'm upgrading FROM an Asus Maximus Gene V TO an Asus Maximus Hero VII, do i need to do a fresh install? and if so, I have a SSD. How do you format SSD drives? Can I simply install Windows on top of the existing partition to clean the drivers out?

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

If you're doing a big upgrade its always wise to do a fresh install otherwise things can just get messy.When you reinstall just do it the same way you would and format the HDD during the installation. If you install over the top, windows will automatically create a back up of the previous installation, but it's not a good way to do things.

3. Hateorade

Hateorade A glass a day keeps the doctor away

I'm not sure what constitutes a big upgrade but it's the mobo and going from an i5 to the i7. Everything else is the same.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

As far as the operating system is concerned that is a big upgrade. It is likely to be very difficult to get Windows to play nicely if you don't do a clean install.

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Windows 7 is pretty good, id imagine it would boot right up install drivers and be fine.

Reinstalling is the best way but meh, Ive had installs across several platforms and there wasn't a problem.

6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I would advocate a clean install, despite getting Windows to migrate from mobo to mobo a couple of times. It just tends to behave 'better' that way, in my experience.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

+1 for a clean install, I've done it the other way a few time but it normally comes back to bite you at a later date

8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Puny mortals with your clean installs :p (so would I lol)

However if you type the following into admin command prompt you'llbe able to change board without issue.

Code:
    CD sysprep
    Sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown
    Once swapped over it'll run initial setup make a random account, login then log out and in with yourold account. Delete random aaccount if you want.