1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Monster Energy Drink 'Linked To Five Deaths'

Discussion in 'General' started by suragh, 23 Oct 2012.

1. suragh

suragh Derp

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Monster Energy drinks in susceptible people who take too much of something occasionally die shocker.

Does this really surprise?

3. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

The article is somewhat daft in it's comparison though:

It's almost 3 times larger than the Red Bull, so 3 small Red Bull cans are almost the same as one large Monster :eyebrow:

4. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I can't stand any of those energy drinks, regardless of brand. They taste filthy and make you feel like sh*t.

There's a guy at my waterski club who turns up with two pint cans of Redbull everyday. He's 67 years old and suffers from heart and respiratory problems. I'm convinced it's only a matter of time before he has a serious adverse reaction to the stuff. But he won't be told.

5. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

It's funny, I've never drank one of these "energy drinks" before, and just today I was going to buy a can but I ended up getting a Latte instead. Anyways, people have died from drinking too much water also, so I'm not going to get worked up over this just yet.

6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I find these articles funny sometimes, firstly they are back in 2004 if it was such a big issue why has it taken 8 years to publish.

And everybody knows too much of something bad is never good for you right, too many fags lead to lung cancer, too much alcohol leads to liver and heart disease too much sugar leads to childhood obesity breathing problems and heart problems

Im an avid monster drinker and i for one know the stuff is terrible for you, but i still drink it for the same reason a smoker lights up another ***.

7. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Who in their right mind gave a 14 year old child almost 1.5 litres of Monster?

I was told as a child that you had to be over 16 to drink energy drinks, this is only a guideline but it is a good rule to follow. Even these days I only drink 2-3 cans a year at the i-series to swap my body clock around a bit for some nocturnal gaming antics.

That is truely very sad though, poor girl, poor parents.

8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I had two cans of monster in the morning, few hours later in the mall i blacked out for a few seconds, was horrible, believe i started having a panic attack or something

never again!

9. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

I've drank a fair few tins of Monster in a day before as have housemates no effect from them as far as I know.. I dont even get a kick off energy drinks unless I'm stupidly tired.

Regardless its just caffeine tolerance afaik, if you drank lots of coffee (I know it'd be a hell of a lot more than the amount of monster required) it'd likely have the same outcome.

Also I heard before now most shops enforce 16+ for energy drink? at least thats what my sister complains about ..

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

240mg of caffeine per can? Lovely (Jolt Cola is even more fun at 280mg). Drink 8 and you'll end up in hospital. Take medication that blocks the liver enzyme responsible for its metabolism (e.g. some antibiotics or antidepressants) and you'll end there sooner. Heart disease? Don't drink it. Liver disease? Don't drink it. Petite 14-year old with known circulatory condition? Don't drink it!

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I hate that ****.

The number of kids half my age or younger (And of course, older than that - But not by much) I see drinking it at Games Workshop proclaiming they "Can't function without it" makes me sick.

It's not even remotely surprising that people go to hospital because they drank too much of it - Over indulgence of something bad for us is hardly a new thing for our cultures.

12. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I had something similar once before

You could'nt pay me to drink a second energy drink in 24 hours let alone in the morning, i done it once gaming and i felt horrible literally like i was going to pass out.

i don't drink coffee at all so that much caffeine really screws me up!

13. defined

defined Botch-Job

I used to drink 2-3 cans a day in work, i find i built up an "imunity" to them and 1 can would stop working as much for me so would drink more,

I barely drink one a month now tho after working out how much money i was spending on the things.

14. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Long term these things arnt good.

I used to drink Relentless everyday for about 2yrs. Roughly 2 or 3 cans per day.
    This was mainly due to work stresses, early work hours. However the trade off was that i only survived on cigrettes, Relentless & one meal a day which made me drop 3 stone in that time but also made me become very short tempered and snappy at people.

I decided to cut back when I noticed my strange behavour and also my eyes used to twitch really badly.

I still maintain the drinks here are not that bad but like evrything should be taken in moderation.

If people really want a proper energy drink they should start importing M150 or the Thai Redbull.

That stuff keeps you a really good awake feeling with no bad sugar/caffine crash. The only downside is that its laced with speed and too much is bad for health, and for my case was very bad! but well worth it.

15. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Kids at school drink this **** all the time - I tell them about it and other "brands", Red Bull, Relentless, Mountain Dew (Yup - read the back of the bottle!), KX, Red Rooster - (insert generic supermarket own label here), and how it affects their concentration throughout the day depending on when they drink it.

Come to think of it - would make a nice little experiment for them to do, we have some pulse oximeters we got in courtesy of the olympics - could see how long the caffeine takes to become "active" and how long it take to fade and have them answer subjective questions about tiredness etc before and after.

But I digress - they exhibit all the signs of addiction for this stuff - irritability, constant movement, shortness of temper when the effects wear off etc, mostly they agree with me and recognise it can't be good for them but like smoking - they don't know how to give it up and replace it with something less harmful/cheaper. Doesn't help that the branding is all over the "cool" stuff they watch on youtube....... plus being almost inextricably linked with "gamer" culture.

Wonder if there are the rumblings of a class action against this stuff - seems that the lawyer in America who cracked the whole cigarettes being addictive case has found a way to sue "big food" for mislabelling packaging and hiding ingredients such as sugar under other names - maybe they do the same......

16. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Meh, time for some Cocaine...
    [​IMG]

17. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

First, try teaching your daughter with an inherited blood vessel disorder what so much of energy drinks will do.

18. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

This. Everything in moderation.

19. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

You can die from alcohol abuse too : /

20. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

You can die from too much masturbation.