1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News More Windows 8 details leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Jun 2011.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I like the way windows is going. Covergence is key for the future and they see that.

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

First up, what's wrong with calling an application or program an app? It's been in use for decades and I don't care if more people start using it.

You know what a car is right? A PC? Or a TV? A mobile? A phone? A cinema? They're all shortened versions that have taken over from a longer original, there's thousands of words like this.

App just one more to add to the pile. (So don't give apple the exclusive right to the name)

3. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

Disclaimer: I am a FOSS advocate and a financial contributor to the Free Software Foundation

"Free" software doesn't necessarily mean just "zero cost". I never pay for software. I use Free, Open Source (herefter FOSS) programs like Firefox (web), Thunderbird (email), VirtualBox (virtualisation), GIMP (image editing), OpenOffice (office suite), InfraRecorder (disc burning), VLC (media player), Phatch (photo batch processor), the list goes on.

All of the programs I mentioned are free as in cost and free as in freedom - you can download the source, modify it and redistribute it if you so wish - there's no restrictive licensing, and you can use it for whatever purpose, be it personal or commercial (conversely, many "free" proprietary/closed source programs have terms in their licensing restricting commercial use - VirtualBox used to use this and still does for their Extensions Pack).

Millions of developers around the world write code for FOSS projects. I personally run my own project and actively encourage people to do the same. I honestly only buy a paid program when there are no free alternatives.

I also use free/closed programs, like Avast, CCleaner and Defraggler, because they're decent and they do the job, so I see no need at all to buy into software I don't need. You can get so much for free, why spend hard-earned money when you don't have to? I'm not a cheapskate, just realistic.

Try telling that to Novell/Red Hat/Canonical (three big players in FOSS).

Same planet, different ideologies. Go read some stuff before you start alienating people for what they believe.

/me steps down from soapbox

Last edited: 21 Jun 2011
  4. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Ok ... little lesson in how app stores work. You get tonnes of stuff for free and other apps you can pay for if you want to. I hope that clears up your complete paranoia problem.

5. CraigWatson

Think storm was referring to downloading of source code as well as the compiled binaries - aka "open source" (see links above).

6. leveller

Refer you to posts #2 #7 and #9, collectively give me the impression he thinks MS, Apple, Google are trying to use apps to control his brain ... or something. :rolleyes:

The one thing Windows machines have lacked is a central online store that can be completely trusted, to obtain Windows compatible software - regardless of cost. ie. someone new to Windows might be reluctant to part with cash for Fraps because the guy that owns Fraps makes a great app but his website looks geocities-alike. A proper store frontage for Win machines is a great move.

Now all I want is cross-machine app purchasing (like Steamplay) so I don't have to repeat buy software.

7. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Just to be picky but a car is actually an automobile and the UK is one of the few countries that refers to mobile phones as mobiles, the general term is cellular phone or cell.

As for "app", I don't like it because it stinks of trendy and dumbing down, it's only really started being used since the creation of iTunes app store, after which trendy types would bleat on about having an app for this or an app for that thinking it was something special and not knowing that an app is just a program.
    Since then everything has had to have an app or an app store just so they could be seen to be part of the trendy app crowd because their too bloody stupid to realize that its just a program.

But hey that's just my view and I'm an argumentative old git.

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

We haven't had 7 for that long and now we're on 8 :S

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Really? I always thought it literally just America and Canada that called them cell phones.

As far as I know, every other English speaking country calls them Mobile Phones.

Indeed, try searching the "cell phone" in Wikipedia and see how far you get.

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Jesus, when did the Linux brigade turn up?

Been quiet these few months with Windows 7 being so popular and you having nothing to moan about.

Same ol' same ol' hey?

11. CraigWatson

Tbh I'm far from anti-Windows, even though I heavily subscribe to the Free Software ideology. My home PC dual-boots Win7/Linux, and my MacBook also dual-boots OSX/Linux. We also heavily use Windows (HR/finance/sales) and Linux (developers) at work so I'm equally at home using and supporting all O/Ses.

I was merely responding to a message that _Metal_Guitar_ posted regarding free software and stated that people do actually use free software (both "zero cost" and "as in freedom"). It's nothing to do with Linux vs Windows.

The point regarding a Windows app store supporting source code as well as binary downloads is also a valid on-topic subject. I'd love to see Firefox/Thunderbird/VLC etc up on a Windows App Store. Don't think it'll happen but I'd still love it.

If people want to put up an imaginary divide and call people "Linux users" and "Windows users", it's up to them, but personally I'm a "computer user with a preference for Linux".

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

search Movie in wiki also returns Film. however, only UK calls it film.
    interestingly, search Colour gets redirected to color.
    conclusion: wiki cannot be trusted.

but i do agree with you, only USA and Canada calls their mobile phone cell phones.

13. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

14. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Uhmm yes. If it ain't broke... don't fix it.

15. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Amen.
    This is just M$ sucking Apple's arseholes. That way they can get away with releasing nothing but a single barebones version, and then charging for every single little missing feature seperately, squeezing every last penny out of it.

Still can't wrap my head around why they started trying to treat PC's like a giant smartphone or tablet all of a sudden. If that's the direction things are really headed then we're all totally scrwed. Kinda like the disco era but for computers--a few years later everyone will be looking back and saying "Uh, WTF we were thinking...?"

16. leveller

saying "Uh, WTF we were thinking...?" ... while sitting in their auto-piloted flying car, chewing enhanced-flavour meal tablets, and swiping their hands in the air to control their projected hologram history book.

:rock:

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I do.
    Only pay for Windows and games, all other programs are either free or open source, dont pirate.
    Do send some money to the developers sometimes.

18. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Couldn't agree more. Only thing I still use Windows for is Games.

19. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

That sounds way too much like the last level of Dead Space 2. . . Convergence is at hand!!!!

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'm liking Linux more and more, laptop is now soley Linux, only thing Windows really does better is games as far as I'm aware. And defo am wondering more and more why people pay for stuff thats freely available??
    Really not liking Windows 8 so far, trying to make a 1 OS to fit them all, sure this kinda thing would work on a tablet/phone/touch screen monitor, but I don't like the way they seemed to have just dumbed it all down for general desktop use, the current menu system works fine as far as I'm aware?

Tags: Add Tags