1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla warns against closed-source software

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 14 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

If governments have direct access to ISP's what's the point of being worried about access to your software :lol:

3. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

Meh, I warn against recent Mozilla bloatware :( Their most recent versions (4.x which they now call 26 instead of 4.0.26 for some reason ...) cannot even be customized to the level of 3.x series, they ahve fewer configuration options and perform worse. Too bad there isn't a single decent alternative that doesn't have some kind of UI issue (IE), rendering issues (Opera, recent Firefox) or stability issues (Safari, Chrome etc.) that could finally replace the 1-2 year old 3.6.28 workhorse :-(

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Just change it to your liking:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/extensions/
    Firefox is still the best browser out there. IE11 is getting close, though.

5. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

I find that I have more problems with Chrome trying to render like IE than I have with Firefox rendering properly.

Look out for Firefox in the coming 4 months. By then a lot of the snappy and javascript work should be paying off and the browser will be somewhere in the region of Chrome/IE11 for snappiness and rendering speed.

Firefox's UI will be altering again soon. Although I've never really understood the need for people to fiddle with their browser layouts too much. I make tweaks, sure, but I don't fret too much because I use keyboard shortcuts a lot and the tweaks I make are just simple functionality tweaks (IE9+ with a whole row for tabs, FF with my plugins where I want them in the addons bar in in the navigation toolbar).

Personally, Firefox(I donated to Mozilla recently too because I like what I see them doing for privacy) will remain my go to browser for the plugins, mostly privacy and anti-ad ones, and for Panorama/Tab Groups. How times change, I'd hate to try to run Chrome with some 30 odd plugins and some 100 tabs open; even with 18GB RAM it might be a stretch.

6. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

FF + All in one sidebar, Download Helper, Adblock plus and Fire FTP.
    FF has it's issues but those add-ons are priceless and I'll stick with FF as long as they are available and updated for future FF versions.