1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MPs seek DRIP Act repeal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Jun 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Of course, DRIP contravenes the European Convention on Human Rights, that's why CallMeDave wants to replace it with a "British Bill of Rights" which will be fine with stunts like this! :wallbash:

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If only Theresa May could backup those claims with evidence as (afaik) not one terrorist attack has been prevented as a direct result of bulk data retention, in fact a report on the NSA's bulk data retention last year said "[An] analysis of terrorism charges in the US found that the NSA's dragnet domestic surveillance "had no discernible impact" on preventing terrorist acts."

Maybe it's different in the UK and Data Retention has played a key roll in detecting terrorist plots, but going on independent studies about Americas bulk surveillance programs it was responsible for initiating, at most, 1.8 percent of cases within the USA and 4.4 percent of the terrorism cases outside America.

Perhaps those percentages are high enough to warrant the bulk collection of an entire countries private communications, but shouldn't that be a choice made by the people living in that country and not decided for us behind closed doors.

It all sounds a little Maytrix'ie to me.

[​IMG]

Sorry that was the only way I could shoehorn in that picture. :D

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Ah but it's not really for terrorists, it's so they can catch all the tax fraudsters, as that's how it's supposedly going to pay for itself.
    They just use the Terrorist agenda to worry the masses so they can rush through the legislation that they want.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Eugh.

I hate how 'OMGTERRORISMISTS' is the excuse. You can be damn sure the people pushing this **** don't know what they're pushing, too.

Theresa May doesn't know her arse from her elbow, at best.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's to catch terrorists, tax evaders and benefit cheats...

...and any other aunt sally they care to throw up as an excuse.

7. graphitone

graphitone What's a Dremel?

<proofreader>
    "Human Rights Act all exist to defend are rights"

'are rights'? Should be 'our rights' surely...
    </proofreader>

8. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

I have over the years voiced my approval at posts that highlight our privacy being violated.

The real purpose for your data being collected are thus:

1) To maintain the status quo.
    2) To pigeonhole you and your political and sexual nuances.
    3) To be whored off to big business, so they can exploit your finances and redirect money and power back to the wealthy.
    4) To keep the muggles/cattle in the revolving door o perceivedf democracy.

NO other purposes really.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Totally legit. :p

10. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Does anyone wonder if the Shooting of Duggan Riots in 2011, and the ability for the looters ... Oops! I mean fair and honest rioters ... to organise themselves through social media and private blackberry messenger - might be the fuel needed to warrant zero privacy legislation?

It crosses my mind now and then.

11. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

It is part of the same doctrine declared by Mr Obama in his famous " sock it to the man" narrative.

Keep your cattle in order. Show them who is boss.

The truly worrying aspect of the Duggan Case was the blatant disregard for who was culpable, and the reluctance to pursue those that made wrong decisions and became judge, jury and executioner in an instant without recourse.
    The same reasons that did not pursue the officer(s) for prosecution and committal are the same reasons we see being rolled out on numerous occasions over the last few years.

Remember Ian Tomlinson?
    Remember Hillsborough?

On your original point though, the mass surveillance is still largely for the reasons i gave above.

It is absolutely not implemented for terrorism intelligence.

12. Nexxo

It would help if the cattle would stop behaving like, well, cattle.

I think it is a bit disingenuous to compare the Duggan case with the other two. Duggan was not a innocent guy --he was a founder member of a local gang, had been arrested on many occasions, for crimes including murder and attempted murder and he was in possession of an illegal gun for a reason.

The rioters' response was in no way a legitimate response to the situation. If was a bunch of people abreacting their general sense of societal disenchantment mixed with self-entitled opportunism in the most immature way possible, and neatly ended up justifying the government's response in terms of increased surveillance and control.

I think it's a bit more circular than that. There are criminals and terrorists out there, and there is a large civilian mob baying for the commissioner's head every time one of them manages to hurt somebody. We have irrational expectations about being kept safe. And when the government then takes irrational measures in response we bay for their heads again.

If you disavow your own responsibilities as an adult, you will be treated like children.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Isn't the problem that if someone else disavows their adult responsibility you still get treated like a child.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Where would the cattle get such an irrational expectation though?

15. Nexxo

From their own lack of maturity and a bunch of colluding politicians (who are hardly more mature themselves) making promises they shouldn't to get the vote. Like I said: circular...

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Careful now your sounding like you're threatening democracy, you're not one of those extremists are you. ;)
    Maybe we should get some "independent" governing body to check your post for extremist content before they get aired. :D

17. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

No. Generally what happens is the 'few' ruin it for the rest of us.

The extremists.

The financial execs crashing the world economy.

The naughty kid in class.

The child cheating in online games.

The paedos.

The ORGANISED looting, in the name of one of the black brothers being victimised/murdered by the cops ... or maybe the looters chose to ignore the facts and use it as an excuse for free stuff?

The list of the 'few' could go on. But when i wanted the police to stop the looting, and stop all the burning of buildings, and violence - they couldnt because so many had jumped on to the band wagon for free stuff, the police couldnt cope.

Now its sorted, and wont get organised like that again. Youll see. (Thanks to the few looters etc)

:thumb:

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Indeed, it will be organised in a totally different way next time. :worried:

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Of course he's an extremist, he's Dutch

I heard they smoke DRUGS over there!
    :eeek:

:D

Corky42 likes this.
  20. Nexxo

The life of a modder is always extreme.