1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows MW2 PC: No Dedicated servers

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by rpsgc, 17 Oct 2009.

1. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Petition signed. This is a shocking move, no dedicated servers = no traditional server community.

I play TF2 on the GTFO Gaming's Dustbowl server, it's just not the same playing elsewhere because of the players that I've got to know there, not to mention learning their playing style (and who deserves an uber! :hehe:) With a matchmaking system, I can't image how we'd all be able to play together. In addition, what about the subtle but welcome tweaks to game settings that dedicated servers are able to make to the vanilla gaming modes? Presumably not as comprehensive in this system.

I do wonder who's idea this was, developer or publisher. Would love to find out what relationships between dev's and publishers are like, eg. if they're like a evil necessity that unfortunately has the power to enforces changes like this.

It must be to control piracy, that's the only thing that comes to mind... but, ok, it's being released on Steam, surely this negates the ability to pirate games at all, or at least easily?

Ugh, just... rubbish. If this doesn't get changed, please vote with your wallet and leave this matchmaking rubbish to the console gamers. The PC platform deserves the full control over servers and game modes that we've come to expect over the last 10 or 15 years, don't bloody start making us regret our PC investments over the noobish consoles...

2. Venares

Venares What's a Dremel?

IDIOTS :(

3. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

yeh maybe they are the same

well i assume that dedicated servers would make it easier to stop piracy at least in multiplayer games. the mutilplayer is a bigger draw with CoD imo so people that want the multiplayer will have to buy it instead of pirating it as they used to do with other cod games, which would cut down piracy if it is the case that dedicated servers stop pirate games working online, which would lead to more sales from people that now have to pay to get multiplayer.

all that is dependant on the dedicated servers cutting down on piracy though, which remains to be seen.

the ease of pirating a game has to be a big factor in piracy, if it wasn't so easy less people would do it, atleast a small amount less

4. sc.uk^cRoSsFir3

sc.uk^cRoSsFir3 What's a Dremel?

Think again ^_^

Codemasters have had SO MANY complaints about not including support for dedi servers in OFP2 even though it says on the back of the box that dedicated servers are recommended for online play! They say they are not working on sorting the dedi server support out...super.

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

"why support a platform that creates its own mods and gameplay variations, when you can get people to line up to pay 10 bucks for a ******** map pack?"

quote from another forum. herein lies the real answer i think $$$$.

i have to say tho that i was trying to work out how i was going to afford all these games this winter, this has just made my life that little bit easier, thanks IW.net :thumb:

at the end of the day they know that PC sales will nose dive as a result of this, if they dont understand that they never played the game on PC (which thinkin about it may well be the case). so what are they doing? squeezing the final bit of cash out of us before they become entirely console developers. this will be the final COD game on PC, mark my words.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2009
  6. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

I preferred the old Bit-Tech... without the name calling children.

acron^ likes this.
  7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

signed partition number 51617 :)

come on, get it to 100k.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

"Get your hands off my stack!!"

That pretty much covers this.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I really think you're overestimating the market share of hardcore gamers who won't buy because of this.

MW2 will sell by the bucketload, any loss of sales will easily be covered by them not having to fork out for dedicated servers.

No, they won't, consoles are already out of date but they're still developing for them primarily. In a few years, the next generation will be out.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2009
  10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

You really have no idea what a dedicated server is, do you?

11. rpsgc

rpsgc Minimodder

Obviously he doesn't.

12. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

these links below is where it may have started this stuff

http://kotaku.com/5384057/new-moder...-service-will-definitely-reshape-pc-community

i would listen to all of it but at 1hr 38 mins is where some one joins in to talk about it
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799
    comments for above

bad thing with match making is more for users who live out of good ping range and some times match making making picking an far server with bad ping or an Player hosted game like consoles (L4D good example of this) the ping of the host will be 0 so he have ultimate advantage (do not think COD6 has this), but if there service is down we not able to play it online
    most servers do not use voice on the PC as most players on the PC do not use it (makes the voice perk pointless no one uses it), on console and PC its Very simple to mute players (think its select then go down to the players and press X on them, PC its hold tab i think and click on them or ESC mute players)
    i hate dogs on COD5 (do not get points for it any way)
    chopper is not so bad on COD4
    first source i think was http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

13. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

I wouldn't even waste the electricity to have the PC on after midnight when I'm not capped to download something that's broken by the devs instead of cracked by a pirate. The petition and not giving the company money are enough.

However, if you've signed the petition don't forget to head over to Amazon and 1-star this port into oblivion - they might take notice when Amazon dumps the PC version game* and leaves it to the marketplace to sell it as they don't want the drama/returns hassle, like they did with Spore and Crysis Warhead (the latter undeserved, I'll give you that).

*postal strike notwithstanding

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

And here comes the PC gamer elitism :rolleyes:

15. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Veles, don't bother mate. This thread is well and truely surrendered to the fan-boy trolls who refuse to see any opinion other than their own.

16. opal

opal Eh?

Quick because ignorance just walked out the door

17. [PUNK] crompers

when you have entirely missed the point of the conversation i hardly think pointing that out can be considered elitism

18. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

/me cancels order

19. yazooo

yazooo What's a Dremel?

I would say it is more than just the fan boys having their say about this news - and to be honest am glad to see some gamers getting together to try and make their point about this. While some of it is a bit over the top, it is good to see consumers trying to make a difference instead of sitting back and taking it on the chin!

Oh, I really don't think it is PC Gamer elitism to know what a dedicated server is or who pays for them. To clarify simply, we pay for them. Usually clans, groups of people etc rent them from various places. They typically aren't just used for hosting one game either, and with a few people are not as expensive as you might imagine.

20. [PUNK] crompers

exactly, i help to pay for my clan's server and i play L4D, TF2, CS:S, COD4 everything with the same group of people. if we want to do this in MW2 it'll involve setting up a "private" game and sending out 20 (if we get that many slots) invitations and not being able to use the boxes we pay for anyway! its just not what i wanted from the game. when i see people whinging about L4D2 or stardock or whatever i usually think "you're boring". but this has genuinely killed 80% of the reason to play MW2 for me.