1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice My first build in ten years... (SFF / Ryzen)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earlydoors, 10 May 2020.

1. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Hi there - I'd like to get back into PC building with a SFF Ryzen build that hopefully doesn't break the bank. It will be for light gaming (1080p / 60fps) and maybe some light video editing (1080p).

I've done some reading and would like to get your advice on the build outlined below. Is there anything that I can save some £££ on? Or perhaps something I need to put some more into to future proof??

Welcome your thoughts and thanks in advance

Build listed here!

2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Build looks good, how tied are you the the Silverstone?

There are now some awesome SFF cases that are much better visually. (In my opinion)

earlydoors and Bloody_Pete like this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd wait for the B550 motherboards to launch, as its any day now. That platform is basically dead after this generation, but the B550 will support 3 generations of CPU's (in theory). So A B550 and a 3xxx series CPU would be my recomendation.

earlydoors and cobalt6700 like this.
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Small error. That case does not require a "bend over and spread" SFX power supply. It takes a full sized ATX. So you can cut the cost of the PSU in half by changing that.

Personally as Goatee says that case is old hat. The website shows it with a GTX 480 in lol.

earlydoors likes this.
  5. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Thank you so much for your responses.

I have thought about waiting for B550, but how much real world benefit am I going to see on 1080p gaming? I'm not sure. I'll keep an open mind though.

Thanks for the ATX callout on the PSU. I'll have another look at power supplies.

Can you recommend me any? The SG13 is £40... :lol:

6. Vault-Tec

If you are happy with the upgrade path that board offers (which is all the way up to the 16/32 3950x) then by all means don't bother waiting on B550.

Cooling in that case will be poor. I've used one myself many moons ago and it was lacklustre. Like said, it has been around in various guises for ten years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Mas...ld=1&keywords=itx+case&qid=1589147111&sr=8-21

Would get my cash. Only £11 more, much newer, still takes a full ATX PSU to save lots of coin and it is basically a massive wind tunnel.

Bloody_Pete and earlydoors like this.
  7. Vault-Tec

8. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Thank you - this is what I was thinking. However, is this a valid upgrade route? Meaning, are there any issues (other than cooling) in using that CPU with this motherboard? Does the motherboard / B450 chipset handle this CPU?

Thanks for the case recommendation, I'll have a look!

9. Vault-Tec

Yes that board is fine with it. If things go as expected then you will find the prices of the better higher core count CPUs will drop. PSU? if you want to be totally safe get a 750w, as that will handle the most demanding high end Ryzen system with a 2080Ti.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-E...psu&qid=1589148053&sprefix=750,aps,171&sr=8-5

TBH? the Phanteks Evolve and that PSU are about what you were going to spend any way. I also strongly recommend Seasonic as their warranty is amazing.

Bloody_Pete and earlydoors like this.
  10. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Incredibly helpful, thank you! :thumb:

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

earlydoors likes this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its not that much smaller than my PC-011 Dynamic :p

earlydoors likes this.
  13. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

That board it great if you want to build a really tiny rig as it has 2 m.2 slots, so you could put a larger SATA-based drive in the second slot for main storage.

earlydoors likes this.
  14. Vault-Tec

There's a difference (to me at least) between "small but capable" and "So small you are ham stringing yourself". If you are that pressed for space? sure, go weeeeny. But otherwise it's better to go a bit larger.

That Silverstone isn't exactly small either. Yet the amount of hardware you can fit in it is minuscule and the cooling is rotten (120mm fan intake and your PSU as the exhaust, right above your CPU cooler that's trying to bring in air whilst the PSU removes it)

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, exactly, as you go a but bigger (in different dimensions) and you have our cases which are again more capable! If going small becomes limiting you've gone too small.

earlydoors likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

I can totally understand it if it's a LAN rig. Like, if you have to constantly move it. Those Silverstones are not portable. They're very heavy, have no handles and etc. Actually quite awkward. The Cooler Master I posted has a handle, and is a bit smaller.

And then there's the cost of going ITX. Like, you know? a really luxury case. Then the "costs twice as much" PSU and etc. Maybe I am the wrong guy to talk to lol. I always take performance over size (fnarr).

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

But our systems are far from big, both can have full watercooling, lots of fans, EATX motherboards, etc. Its all about good design of sapce!

earlydoors likes this.
  18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

As has been said already, the Evolv ITX is HUGE, and is very poorly ventilated for its size.

I owned one, donated to a member here, and he's fininging doesn't cool well. There's a thread on her somewhere.

/Real SFF follower

Vault-Tec and earlydoors like this.
  19. sandys

sandys Multimodder

If you are using cloud gaming you don't need 144hz or a dedicated GPU, just use the macbook?

if you do build a PC and don't need a dedicated GPU then you do need a CPU with an iGPU to run motherboard video ports, so you need to be careful what you buy there both Intel and AMD have chips that can drive those ports.

As for the SFF love, I struggle to get it, I LAN with my tower, it has wheels and travels well. All the hassle to go SFF and then struggle to put reasonable kit in it, weird perversion if you ask me :D

I have done one previously to fit under TV but that was in the days before good smart tvs, it just lives unloved on a shelf now, wonder if an LC19 has become a bit of a collectors item yet :D

Last edited: 11 May 2020
    Arboreal and Goatee like this.
  20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

It’s a bit of a misconception that you can’t fit reasonable hardware in a sff case. I had a 2070 and i5-9600k in a S4M (5 litres) for a while which while not super high end was pretty much a perfect non-4K gaming travel set-up.

You are right about being able to travel with a tower, however, you may struggle to get it in carry-on when flying though.

sandys and Arboreal like this.