1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My newest modding scheme

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Freaky_Tweak, 26 Dec 2004.

1. Freaky_Tweak

Freaky_Tweak What's a Dremel?

Ok, have a pretty basic plan here:

Chainmail computer case.

the idea is pretty simple:
    1) take a cheap, crappy sacrificial computer case
    2) Strip off two side panels, top panel, and hopefully front panel too
    3) cover the thing entirely (or close to) with chainmail.

Already found a supplier for the chainmail rings: http://theringlord.com/

the only problems i have are what to do with the front of the thing, and where to get teh case. would also be good to hear some input on how to attach it all to the case, although i may have and idea.

this is an idea that i ahve been planning for a while now, but due to lack of funds, have not gotten around to. this christmas solved that and the lack of digital camera and dremel, as seen in the previous post by me.

so, what I want to know is this: what do you all think about it, and, what suggestions do yu have for me.. i have not yet oredered the rings, but that is coming soon. all help is welcome, and all suggestions will be taken into consideration. thank you for your time

2. CREDO

CREDO What's a Dremel?

Looks like it might be a pain to work with, but a great idea, I can see it would look awesome if done right.

3. Freaky_Tweak

yep, hats what i am hoping for. as for the pain to work with part, yeah, it may be achallenge, but i think i have it figured ou. i will definitely have a project log up. anybody have deas for the name of the project?

4. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

Chainmail is super-heavy, so I wouldn't make this a LAN box! Interesting idea, though...

5. Freaky_Tweak

well, not necessarily super heavy.. its 5 pounds for 1200 rings, and i doubt i will use all of them. i jsut ordered that amount of 12 gage, 7/16 inch ID rigns from them. should be here in "7-12 Business Days". So until then, i guess ll jsut ahve to wait in anticipation.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Personally, I think this may end up looking rather goth and dreary, but with some good white or other light colored lighting on the inside, you may be able to pull it off. Plus, that would create a cool lighting affect on the wall opposite the chain mail.

7. Freaky_Tweak

ill have to remember that for the lighting idea... (goes off to look at CCFLs) hehe, thanks

8. Freaky_Tweak

Ok people. wuick question for anyone who cares enought o answer hehe.

Im wanting to have chainmail down the front, but i am no sure how to accomplish this and make it look good with the power buttons and CD Drive and what not. wdhat kind of suggestions do you have to make this look good? make the mail wiht slots in it for the CD Drive, and some holes for the power button and LEDs and such? find a way to somewhat stelatht eh CD Drie with soem Chainmail and make some super cool switches to boot? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i ahve 1-2 weeks for teh chain to come in, then i want to get started as soon as possible, so im wanting to get the planning out of the way.

Thanks all

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Ok...it just has to be done, because every time you post I have to struggle to make sense of it...
    [​IMG]

Anyway...Instead of draping the chain mail down the front, I would glue it on so it doesn't move. Then, I would stealth the drives with black acrylic with chain mail glued on it, that sits flush with the chain mail on the front when the drive is closed. With the buttons, just glue chain mail on them so the chain mail sits flush with the front chain mail :thumb:

10. ev0lution

ev0lution What's a Dremel?

Why not have chainmail over the sides + back, and use the other type of armour shown below on the front of the case? It would be a lot easier to work with than the chainmail for stealthing the drives with:

[​IMG]

11. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

why not move all the buttons to the back and have the cd rom come out some where at the bottom where it does'nt show as much

12. Freaky_Tweak

Ok, First things first. Apologies for posts that don't make much sense. I guess I just need to check back over them.

Second, I would consider the idea of the leather, except I don't have the money to buy the leather in the first place. As it is, I am using all of my christmas money to buy a case to mod and the rings.

I rather like this idea. I will definitely have to consider it, but I am not quite sure how good it will turn out. I haven't really done much modding, except for a good-looking window and a lighted xbox controller.

Also, I don't really like the idea of glueing chainmail down.. but I do like the idea of sticking it to the CD Drives somehow. That is what I had been thinking of, but I just wasn't too sure how to pull that off.