1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor My PI !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SilveR_172, 1 Jul 2012.

1. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Thought is set up a thread as i received my Raspberry Pi yesterday im just going to upload some pictures and then going to order all the bits and pieces i need to start this off as a proper project , the main aim for me is to get this running as a media pc for my bedroom pc then stream media from my main pc up to the TV , such as photos and movie's , so may need your help i will be looking on other forums to gain the knowledge on how to get it to run XMBC i know this is possible as i've seen it happen so i shall order a memory card for it either this week or next month depends on moneys at the moment ,

So here's the pictures , I even got an Element 4 Tee with the Pi logo =) Wear it to non uni at work with Joy =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also give us a heads up if you like the photos !

dark_avenger likes this.
  2. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

Nice, I'm jealous - still two weeks til I get mine :(.

Any ideas for a case yet? Theres a recent project log going which you may find relevant..

3. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Yeah the case i'm thinking White with the Purple Logo in perspex , Want to really get a hot wire but might have to use the old trusty heat gun and some wood

What you think ?

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I've got my Pi too. It has been sat on my desk for a bit whilst I get inspiration. At the minute it is in a cardboard case, glued to a flattened Relentless can. Looks ok, but a bit ghetto. I'll come up with something better in time. Are you planning to make your own case, or buy an ebay job? Do you not have any old Micro SD cards from old phones? it is what I have my pi running on at the minute.

In my opinion the pics are cool, but possibly a few too many. They look good though.

5. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Got something done up in sketch up its as good as its going to get , sorry , I'm a noob with it , but im looking at doing It around a Cigarette package size not looking in to cooling massively unless there's any cooling kits , or mods to be done =)

[​IMG]

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I should really sell laser cut wood boxes for the Pi, you think people would be interested?

7. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

So jealous. I only just got invite to order on Friday so have 12 weeks to wait. Already know what I'm going to do with though.

Touchscreen mp3 jukebox for the kitchen streaming from my NAS.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

8. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

I would :)

9. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Congrats on getting yours.
    Must say your photos are rather better than mine. I've run out of ideas for now having tried most the available os's in various forms, xbmc does work quite well if you compile it yourself or for ease find someone else's image of their working SD card. I have also used the GPIO a little and am now rather lost for what to try next. As well as having run out of SD cards again.
    I now spend time tweaking settings and trying to find any little bugs/quirks in the beta debian squeeze (I would highly recommend it though). As well as trying to find parts to put together my own case.

10. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Cheap touchscreen? Where from?

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

And here is my InsaniPi :D.

Powered USB hub (5V, 1.5A) -> USB to microUSB cable -> Rasp. Pi power -> Pi -> Pi USB connector -> back to the powered USB hub for the USB hub feature itself -> Crucial m4 64GB through the Transfer Kit cable :

[​IMG]

* Yes it is missing the SD card which was just being written to as i used the SD card from the camera for testing yesterday.

* Yes, no HDMI cable connected, because unfortunately my TV HDMI connectors are "gone" (well, technically HDMI works, it just doesn't send any EDID data at all, and that means dead ports for pretty much everything except the NVIDIA cards). Need to buy a new TV :waah:.

* And yes, it works :) - dmesg

Skyphox likes this.
  12. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

Would I be able to submit my own design?

13. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

14. Skyphox

Skyphox What's a Dremel?

If you are interested in getting XBMC working on the Pi, try this http://www.raspbmc.com/

Installed it on my own and seems to work well so far. I have been running vids off my NAS drive using DLNA, and been close to perfect. Only issue is a small stutter in 1080p video. But it is still pre-release at the moment. (RC3 at the moment)

And the guy who came up with the Pi -> USB hub -> Pi Power idea... genius!

Pi running Raspmc... sorry for the crap quality pic, my hand moved ;p

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Jul 2012
  15. faugusztin

Yeah, i am probably going to use it for now as a device to test my web applications - considering my VPS is 2-core 2.6GHz/512MB RAM configuration, a 1-core 800MHz/256MB RAM device is a ideal test device for "high load" situations (in other words, if it runs fine on Pi, it will run at least at same speed on the VPS as well).

16. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

You can force out specified resolution, my av amp doesn;t seem to send edid to the PI (is fine for other devices though) but you can add lines to a config.txt. Good instructions for video issues and over clocking.

Probably (if 1080p);
    disable_overscan=1
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=16

This does work but I would personally avoid it, though its not as bad as having a powered hub and separate power to the PI. It has direct power lines and can draw as well as supply power to/from USB devices connected to the USB ports.

It is very easy to install, I found I needed a larger SD card than expected for the series image and data cache. I had initial trouble with audio but no problems with stuttering. Now just have the normal problems with any xbmc build. Just need an internet connection for it to continue.

The Pi is actually dual core ;) but I am also using mine for similar testing and running a small version of one of our server machines at work.

17. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Looking good guys can't wait for pay day now I can see a bit of networking help going on and a lot of pi creation happening , keep em coming

18. faugusztin

@favst89:
    1) no, HDMI doesn't work at al, i tried pretty much every combination of config.txt. And as i said - Intel doesn't detect it, AMD doesn't detect it, Pi doesn't detect it... The only thing which can see the display are NVIDIA cards, period. Plus the TV is from 2007, time to upgrade anyway. When i connected Pi to a ZR2740w using HDMI->DVI converter, it ran in text mode just fine, so i know that the display output on Pi is fine, the issue is at the TV.

2) AFAIK the power from USB hub Pi controls is a supported thing, the only thing which can stop you is a USB hub which waits for Pi to start powering slave devices, which would make it impossible to use for powering Pi, as Pi would need to be powered up... Pi USB ports are not enough for anything more than a keyboard or hub data connection due the 100mA eFuses.

3) /proc/cpuinfo and htop says singlecore :

19. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised you can't force it to output over hdmi whether a screen is detected or not.
    There have been several people over on the raspberry pi forums who have blown the eFuses using a powered hub that way, why I would avoid it. It is probable they were using a cheap/dodgy one and the Fuses reset anyway, if it works for you then great.

I was certain I read it was dual core somewhere but can't find it anymore so I'll go with the evidence in front of me.

My config.txt file for anyone who is interested pulled together from many different places;
    hdmi_drive=2
    config_hdmi_boost=2
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=16
    disable_overscan=1
    arm_freq=925
    gpu_freq=300
    sdram_freq=450
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1

It only works with newer firmware not the ones included in the builds on the raspberry pi main download page. I use this tool to update mine.

Debian squeeze beta, doesn't provide anymore performance in benchmarks but just feels faster. Is lacking a few libraries but getting better.

20. faugusztin

I use archlinuxarm, and the firmware is right in the updates :
    raspberrypi-firmware 20120703-1