1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Nearly had a heart attack...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattyh1995, 9 Dec 2012.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Let me paint a picture. There I was being all happy playing Far Cry 3 when all of a sudden, A WILD BLUE SCREEN APPEARS. I wonder if it's because of my slowly failing hard drive. So I proceed to restart my PC when I notice the debug LED showed "58". This means that, and to quote the manual, that the CPU self test failed or possible CPU cache error.

Now me being me instantly thought that my shiny 2600k had gone and killed itself... After swapping the memory around in the different slots, it eventually just started working after showing me a whole load of different error codes.

This horrific experience got me remembering past times that my computer almost died, like the one time I spilled Coke down the top 120mm fans... And it got me wondering, has the Bit-Tech community, all knowing and all powerful, had any such "mishaps" for the lack of a better word. (Or moments of complete idiocy that make a rather funny story.)

Or is it that I was simply just a formula fed baby... The formula being Fairy Liquid...

YEHBABY likes this.
  2. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

put an ice pack on a radeon... i'd rather not go into detail as to how i got this truly brilliant idea:duh:

3. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I'd rather you did. Sounds like a fun story before bed :thumb:

4. siliconfanatic

well it happend a coupl'a months ago it was summer. my gramps had just gotten o nice little rig(i keep 4getting the darned specs!) and it was meant to run realflight. me, i am OBSESSED with jc2 and the batman games(if someone thinks im talking those tarded litlle lego games their under a rock) it was running hot(it being amd i should have xpected this) and i hadnt yet found a fan controller for it(dindt kno bout msi then) seeing lag in the game raised alrms as this meant gpu was getting a little toasty. so, i went up to the freezer, grabbed thepack(@ least it was a pack and not cubes. wouldve bricked everything), opend up the case, and layed it ont the BACK of the card. around bed time i got a black screen, jumped up and yanked the cord out of the psu. in hindsight this shouldve told me not to freeze tha pack and wrap a paper towel around it. but it booted fine. as i was about to start gaming, i did just that. 15mins later, black screen, game, black screen, shut off psu, turned back on and it didnt read the card- just an error beep.

5. Strudul

Strudul ~

Jesus, please sort out the punctuation.

6. siliconfanatic

joy. grammar nazi.:lol: i will as soon as i have access to a REAL keyboard. lucky i'n type correctly with this Toshiba POS netbook. but i might get around to it tomorrow. right now im likely to screw it up further than fix it. :)

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Killed a 6800GT back in the day. I was really into GPU bios flashing, and had reflashed just above Ultra speeds, (GT clocked at 350/1000, Ultra was 400/1100) to 425Mhz and 1250Mhz.

6 months pass

After reinstalling XP on a spanking new HDD ready for uni, I treat myself Battlefield 3 and fraps reports "ok" FPS but I figure the 6800GT could do with an overclock (forgot the old overclock).

So I remembered that the 6800GT could take an extra 75Mhz on the core, so I throw 50Mhz on top of the core speed in the editor, and flash the card.

Now rocking 475Mhz, since it booted fine I chucked another 25MHz on bringing it to 500Mhz on the GPU core, that lasts O maybe 20 minutes before it stopped outputting to the display and afterwards I look at the specs I realise I had boarded the FAILBOAT earlier that morning.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Think the worst I've done is bending the pins on a motherboard (think the motherboard was already dead luckily).

The biggest panic I had was pumping voltage through my 480s for an OC, and them not wanting to switch back on post crash! Cue about 15 minutes of sweaty terror.

9. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

Long story, but after swapping an i7 920 and an i7 950 each into another P6T SE, neither would boot. After a long time of sweat and worry, I eventually started bending pins, and, thank the gods, got them both back up. The mobo pins are screwed up though, can't bolt coolers down properly without killing the CPU.

Oh, and, a few days after Xmas, installed one of those Arctic custom coolers onto my darling HD 5850. I had the case on it's side, and had the side panel off, and the floor was covered in clutter as usual, especially comp bits. And so was the desk. Managed to nudge a metal part off the desk, which fell - guess where? - right into the GPU. The thing shorted and sparked instantly, rendering my £50 cooler and ~£250 GPU useless... Nice paperweight though.

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Installed Windows 8, forgot to configure the fans in aquaero configuration and started playing Borderlands 2 and let's just say that my loop had a little spill due the cracked reservoir, which cracked due the heat.

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Thinking my i5 750 was dead.

Id swapped it out with a clarkedale i3.

Took me 3 change overs to remember that the i5 doesnt have intergrated graphics, hence blank screen :duh:

12. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I once thought I'd killed my PC after an efi update. After laying a few bricks on my chair and ripping it open and digging around few a few hours I realised the issue was that the SD card with the my Raspberry Pi OS was plugged in to a USB SD reader that is forgotten about and it was preventing boot.
    When my pi arrived j did the same bloody thing again. It is a truly get wrenching moment when you think you have killed your machine.

13. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I was setting up a custom voltage bios flash for my gpu and somewhere ballsed it up. Computer wouldn't post, I assumed I had overvolted it and fried the gpu, but luckily the card is dual bios and was able to salvage my poor flash

14. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Went ultra badass on a really old athlon CPU. Over clocked him to 1050 MHz! I couldn't believe how smooth the pron got; like silk. Needless to say the flash ****ed it. (It was actually bejewelled that did it)

I spent twenty minutes trying to wind a brake caliper piston in once and realised only after getting pissy that I hadn't unscrewed the brake fluid reservoir. Broke some good chunks of scrap doing that! :wallbash:

Tags: