1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some help here finding parts for a broken cellphone.

Discussion in 'General' started by Morphine, 8 Aug 2004.

1. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Ok guys, I really need some help here. I recently got a BEAUTIFUL new Kyocera SE47 slider phone. By recently, I mean 3 days ago. At first I was very reluctant about getting a phone of this type because I foresaw some sort of unlucky damage befalling its LCD screen. Well today I proved myself right and absent mindedly leaned againt a wall at work and press the cell into the wall. With my old phone this would not have been a problem, but on this phone the big snap that closes the flap on the leather holster is centered squarely over the screen. Well I heard a crucnh and then just froze. Guess I looked sick or something because the guy next to me asked what was up, and I calmly took my phone out of my holst and just yelled a few friendly words at it and threw my little holster thing across the room. (sorry but, I tend to throw a temper tantrum when I break my $160, after rebates, phone.)

Well after careful testing I have determined that only screen and the "protective" plastic over it are damaged. The backlight, earpiece, speakerphone, ringer, antena, slider mechanism, buttons, and direction keys are all functional. I was able to make and recieve all of my calls for the rest of the day without a problem, even the voice dialing still works.

I need to know if any of you guys know of any people/sites that sell parts for a Kyocera SE47 Slider Phone. I am looking for either a busted phone (one that I can part out for a working screen) or someone/someplace that will sell me the parts to fix my phone. I am fairly confident that I can make whatever repairs will be necessary. I am in the USA, so the store/person/forum/whatever must preferably be US/Canadian to save on the hassle and costs of shipping.

2. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

Check out eBay for faulty phones, then perhaps you can swap over the casing's.

Surely if the phone is so new, it can be replaced? Do you have insurance? Does it fall under household insurance?

Hope you find a suitable spare! :)

Last edited: 9 Aug 2004
  3. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

4. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Yeah, I havent had a single bit of trouble finding a replacement faceplate. There are millions of them online. The actual LCD is also cracked too. Although $160 may not seem like much to you, to a high school student who pays for pretty much everything but the neccessities (food, clothing, and house) for myself then it does seem like a lot of money to spend twice. The insurance for my phone would need a $75 deductable to replace my entire phone. I am fairly certain that if I wait long enough I can find a bare LCD for far cheaper than that. The phone is perfectly functional except that I just cant see whats going on on the screen.

5. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

Apologies, I take that back, was tired :)

Ahh I see, mis-read your post... ill see if I can find you an LCD. Although i doubt I will source one here, with it being a USA phone and CDMA (whereas we are GSM only here in Europe) :)

6. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

yeah, cell phones are complex when you get into buying from different areas. I rember buying my lovely nokia 7610, god I wanted that phone. Then I found out that only one provider (the most expensive) supports it in my area, and it was still iffy.

7. inder

inder Mr.Modtown

It's mainly the poor GSM coverage in the USA :(

It's getting better though! 7610b is more for USA, supports other freq. that are not present in Europe

8. irsekz

irsekz What's a Dremel?

warenty?

might be your only option

9. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

Sorry about your loss. Here is a post from Kyocera.

"Kyocera Wireless does not provide spare parts or service center supplies to the general public. Only authorized Kyocera Wireless Service Centers have the ability to order such parts and supplies as well as perform repairs on
    QUALCOMM/Kyocera Wireless phones.

If your phone requires a replacement part that has been lost, removed, or
    damaged, please contact your service provider or phone vendor. If your retail
    contact is unable to help you, please have them contact us for a referral to the nearest Kyocera Wireless Service Center"

Where in IL you? I know some place near me that may be willing to sell parts. What network?

10. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

Bloomington/Normal Illinois. Look on a map of Illinois, and see where all the highways meet near the center of the state and thats where I am. Nearest actual Verizon place to me is in Peoria. If you could find the parts for me and get them sent to me (I will pay for parts and postage) then I could prolly hook you up with some nice modding toys.

11. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

I will check to see if I can get you some parts. I am on the North Shore on the lake; Highland Park/Deerfield area. Is the LCD is the only part you need?

BTW, did you happen to get the optional insurance, or is that a stupid question? What did Verizon say?

Is this the part you are looking for? :D

Last edited: 10 Aug 2004
  12. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

yup, just the LCD and faceplate were damaged. That lcd you posted works in the SE47, right?

13. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

wow... expensive!

14. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

well, at least I know the model number for the part im looking for. might be able to find i somewhere else.

15. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

I don't know, you need to open the phone and get the part number. Check this link for other parts.