1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New videocard problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by [<x>] Kiyusoma, 25 May 2010.

1. [<x>] Kiyusoma

[<x>] Kiyusoma Deus Ex Machina

I just upgraded my video card from a ATI Radeon 9200 128MB AGP to a PNY Verto Geforce 7600gs 512MB AGP. I tried playing some games but about a minute in they freeze up to the point where I have to restart the computer. At one point I was using the web browser (Chrome) and the computer beeped once and the screen went black, however the case lights and fans where still on. The computer was working fine before the upgrade.

Specs:
    Windows XP SP3
    AMD Athlon 64 3600+
    Gigabyte K8nsc-939 motherboard
    3GB DDR RAM
    WD 80GB IDE Harddrive
    Maxtor 200GB IDE Harddrive
    2x DVD drives
    SB Live! soundcard
    Super Talent 450w Model: LC-8460BTX

The only thing that I can think of is its not getting enough power. Is this assumption correct?

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

go back to the old card and see if it crashes. If it does, you will know the problem is related to something else than the new card (or vice versa)

3. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I used to run a similarly spec'd athlon 64 939 with a Nvidia 7800GT on an Akasa Paxpower 460W with no hardware issues. Have you completely removed the old ATI drivers, I have used a program called 'Driver Cleaner' to do this in the past, there may be something better now.

Hope you get it working!

4. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic What's a Dremel?

Did you uninstall the old drivers completely first?

If you go from an ATI card to a nVidia card, the drivers can clash and cause huge problems, even if you just clicked uninstall from the control panel. There are often remnants left behind, and it might be a good idea to do a fresh install of windows before swapping out PSU's and the like!

I think 450w should be enough for that card.

5. [<x>] Kiyusoma

[<x>] Kiyusoma Deus Ex Machina

ok, i grabbed a spare harddrive and did a fresh install onto it. Its been running 3dmark 2001/03 without a problem.