1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo 3DS GPU outed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Jun 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. xela333

xela333 What's a Dremel?

Glad support if flowing to other companys not just the big 2, hopefully this is going to create a bit more competition. But I am really excitied about the new DS, after reading about its 3D performance at Computex looks like they've hit the nail on the head, go Nintendo!!!!

3. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Please make a remake of Zelda Ocraina of Time and Majora's Mask, not just Pokemon 3D or Tamagotchi 3D. :D

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Fix teh forum link!!!

I still wanna see it working before I think anything of it.

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Ooooh, programmable shaders! [/sarcasm] Direct X 8 technology. They're on the technology bandwagon now.
    Give it year or two for basic smart phones to come down in price and very few people will buy hand held gaming consoles like this. Their phone will do all this and more.

6. MikeMania

MikeMania What's a Dremel?

This one is a sure purchase for me. Glad I didn't get a DSi yet.

Also, pretty much certain an OoT remake has been confirmed by ninty themselves.

7. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

I wonder if they considered Mali from ARM.

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Would this make the DS more powerful than the PSP?

9. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Not really that powerful (stock).

http://www.hardcoreware.net/nintendo-3ds-specs-comparison/

The one in the 3DS is actually overclocked, as the stock clock is 200MHz, and purportedly the one in the 3DS is working at 400MHz. PowerVR SGX535/SGX540 figures quoted are at the stock 200MHz speed. Figures quoted for the DMP chip is at the overclocked speed.

Assuming direct scaling, it offers 30.6MPolys/s, ahead of PowerVR SGX540/SGX535 by 2.6MPolys/s, but behind the chip in Nokia's N8, which offers 32MPolys/s. It's true power apparently lies in fill rate, as it has a fillrate of 1.6Bn pixels per second, while the SGX535 has only 5million pixels per second.

10. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

I'm sure they looked at all the options before they decided on what to use. This chip probably gives the best price performance of all.

Also, if this is as powerful as the Xbox, then does that make it as powerful as the Wii?

11. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Using a smaller company to do the graphics = much lower costs. On a plus side it also means they can make them exclusives to the technology, even if it isnt anything fantastic, the method in which shaders are programmable are a unique selling point for handheld games producers.

Reduced costs are also passed down through the value chain to the end consumer, so this can only mean good things in a society that costs £LOL amount for a loaf of bread.

12. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Look's like Nintendo have got it right on the money yet again. This not only pokes a finger in eye of other so called handheld gaming machines and pretenders wanting to be, it well and truly pulls the eye socket out and squishes it between it's toes just for good measure.

Nice one Nintendo, I'll certainly be buying one.

13. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

ninty = win

14. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

hehe, Wintendo?

... I'll get my coat.

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

can you overclock it and enable 4 AA :hehe: Nice to see nintendo pushing limits somewhere but they always where number 1 in the handheld market.

16. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Interesting....1.6billion pixel fill rate....

Thats almost the same as an original Xbox @ 1.8billion....with the same shader effects available.

I would like my Jet Set Radio Future and SSX series updates as quickly as possible please.....

17. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

sounds interesting. i don't have a use for a handheld these days but if i start travelling again i'll be wanting one of these.

18. mauvecloud

mauvecloud What's a Dremel?

I'll wait until I can try it at GameStop or something and there are a decent number of RPG titles exclusive to the platform (or at least enhanced remakes of SNES or older titles; I doubt remakes of games that were previously for N64 or newer consoles would really look that good on this system)

19. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

To the gents proposing that mobile phones will replace these-I have a ground-breaking announcement.

I don't carry a mobile phone. My G1 sits in a drawer somewhere. I take my DS everywhere, though. I don't even have a mobile contract, or PAYG. I simply don't use a phone, and have absolutely no need for one.

Play on, Nintendo.

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

People have been saying that for years ... 5 year old kids don't have cell phones. 5 year old kids are also those who "buy" DSs so the new will sell, and it will sell well

Tags: Add Tags