1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Nintendo Switch mod - Shiny Charizard

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dietec, 3 Nov 2018.

1. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

A human asked me to modify a nintendo switch to be themed around the shiny version of the pokemon Charizard!

For the uninitiated, "shiny" refers to the alternative color that a pokemon can be, and it's very rare to find a pokemon with the alternative color in the games so they're highly coveted. Charizard is a dragon looking creature, he's usually orange but his shiny version is black. Like this:
    [​IMG]
    Now obviously the actual handheld part of the nintendo switch needs to stay pretty much the same because if you change its shape, it becomes a lot less portable and usable, which I would like to maintain. The dock however can be changed a ton because it's just supposed to sit in one place forever anyway. So, I've decided to take the switch dock and make it into a shiny Charizard. I might also paint the handheld part, that could be cool and it wouldn't change the functionality.

[​IMG]

First I took apart the switch dock and removed the PCB inside that connects the switch to the ports. The PCB connects to the switch by a ribbon cable with a USB-C attached to it. All you do is plug the power cable and an HDMI cable into the PCB and then plug the ribbon cable into the switch, super simple.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I cut up the dock to get the PCB enclosure part only, this will protect the delicate parts while I sculpt my Charizard around them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going to use this apoxie clay to sculpt the mod :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Nov 2018
    _Prometheus_ and kim like this.
  2. kim

kim hardware addict

I love this sort of modding...I mean, modding something different than just a PC, I'm following :thumb:

Dietec likes this.
  3. _Prometheus_

_Prometheus_ Minimodder

Oh, what intrigue. :) I'm following too. :thumb:

Dietec likes this.
  4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

ohh this seems cools

Dietec likes this.
  5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Hacking 60% of the case away and pulling out the mud. :thumb: Gonna be a proper mod.
    You gotta set it up so the chari-whatever is hugging the remote when docked.

Dietec likes this.
  6. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

how does apoxie compare to milliput or sugru? ive heard part b has stinky smell to it is it as bad as some say?

7. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

I don't notice any kind of strong smells. Doesn't bother me any, and I've not used those other types so I can't say!

Yaka likes this.
  8. Mopsi

Mopsi What's a Dremel?

as soon as the apoxie scult is cured, there should be no smell at all.
    I would go with the apoxie sculpt over miliput. I personally use miliput only to fill in small gaps in my prints.
    If you want to save some money, you can also try "magic sculpt" basically the same as apoxie sculpt

Yaka and Dietec like this.
  9. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

Getting close to finishing the sculpt now! This took a while what with the holidays and stoof.
    Just need to sand down some of the rougher parts and paint him :grin:

This is how the internals are sitting inside of his body. All held together by the apoxie sculpt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks kind of tasty so far... This is actually the point where I handed the sculpting reigns over to my wife, because she's way better at sculpting than I am. And she did a great job!
    [​IMG]
    He stands on a tripod, two legs and his tail. There's really no way he's falling over ever.
    [​IMG]
    The arms were a bit harder to sculpt because the clay doesn't like to stay in place, so we had to do things bit by bit letting the bigger parts harden before we attached them together. Turned out ok though, just took a little bit.
    [​IMG]
    I cut some wings out of acrylic and used my new home made acrylic bender to bend them into shape! They turned out great, there was no way we could have made wings with clay alone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After attaching the wings and arms, we tested the fella out and by golly he works!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had to make a little cradle for the switch to sit in on his back though, otherwise it would be too insecure and might get knocked off or something. Just added a little circle to hold the switch in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't judge us, we still have to smooth out some areas :p:
    [​IMG]
    Almost ready to paint him!!

Yaka likes this.
  10. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

The switch mod wouldn't be finished without changing the look of the handheld portion, but we can't change its shape without sacrificing functionality so we just made it look cooler.
    [​IMG]
    I took the back part off the console and primed it, sent it over to my friend Hassan at v1tech so he could use his suuuper expensive printy-thingy to print a picture onto the back of it. Check him out if you'd like, he's a very nice person (www.v1tech.com)
    Still need to clear coat it, and that will make it glossy!
    [​IMG]
    Before fancy printer:
    [​IMG]
    After fancy printer:
    [​IMG]
    I like.

Yaka likes this.
  11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: He looks like he needs to run around the block a few times. I guess that'll happen when you eat a big square box of electronics.

Dietec likes this.
  12. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

i think that is a damn good mod, well done mate

Dietec likes this.
  13. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

After painting him, he's done! Special thanks to the wife, who is basically the star of this show. Made a video mod log too, check that out if you want. HE'S DONE!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dr. Coin likes this.
  14. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

This just gave me an awesome idea for me to try on my 3D printer...

I'll post a log if it goes well. :D

Thank you, dude! :)

Dietec likes this.
  15. Dietec

Dietec Minimodder

3D printer would probably be faster honestly lol. Clay takes a long time

16. kim

kim hardware addict

Very cute result :thumb:, 3D printer would probably make it faster, but it would lost the personal touch of the sculptor, and most of the interest I had watching the video...

Dietec likes this.
  17. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Concept created ... just got to wait 12 hours for a rough print of the center piece. Then to reprint in finer quality as well as the remainders if it goes well...

Yaka and Dietec like this.