1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by iancowell, 9 Aug 2016.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I had a little snoot around to see if I could find any other solutions. Apparently leaving the system usually fixes it, but as in your case, not always. But apparently, any depot will do. So if you see another one, destroy it and see if it fixes it. You can hunt them out by scanning for secure frequencies or using your exocraft scanner.

I'm gonna have to do a lot of troubleshooting before I can continue with my Expedition Mode save. I think it's the latest Nvidia drivers, but every time a Freighter, including my own, loads in. The gfx drivers crash and I have to restart the game. Just a little bit irritating when I'm trying to do the last 2 Frigate missions for an expedition patch! Seems to be happening to a lot of people in various games though, so I'm going to try a roll-back and clean install. See if I can get it functional again.

Almightyrastus likes this.
  2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Cool ta, I shall have a nosey and see if I can find another depot, they are not the most common buildings to see from the air as they are quite small.

I have been having a look at the expedition bits and pieces (I was watching people do some of that stuff as I was watching Twitch streams for the drops) and it looks pretty interesting, certainly some of the loot drops from them are nice. I would love to be able to do the expedition play through combined with creative mode but hey.

I have noticed a couple of hiccups with graphical glitches and the like, but it only seems to happen with super busy areas like the inside of The Anomaly or when cruising through a dense asteroid field. I am running a 980 Ti which seems to be handling most things really well (as it should do at 1080...), but there have been a few little bits here and there, nothing that has stopped me playing.

In other news, I managed to find a Capitol sized freighter.... "only" a class B, but the thing is HUGE. It's one of these fellas:

[​IMG]

I am still holding out for an S-class for the jump range, but it's just the design that I wanted.

Hex likes this.
  3. Hex

That's a nice looking freighter! I wanted to shop around for a capitol but got too impatient and settled for a C-class that looks like a black and orange cheesybob (woodlouse)! I think I managed to work out why my game was crashing (probably also the Nvidia drivers as most people are having grief with the latest ones), when I really slowly flew over to my freighter, about 4 different sets of freighters & frigates all warped in around mine. It was an absolute sea of ships! Funnily enough, they said they'd patched that from happening - apparently not quite! :lol: Letting them slowly warp in, instead of all at once let my game cope with it and allowed me onto my freighter, so that was good. Hopefully I can make some more Expedition progress now.

4. Almightyrastus

Nice, the warping in of fleets makes everything slow down for me for a couple of seconds, especially as that warping in normally coincides with all the local asteroids spawning too. I did have a crash to desktop the other day after completing and resetting the Atlas path, but that has been my first and it was after a particularly long session.

I have been taking on some of the Nexus missions from the Anomaly in an effort to start getting the Quicksilver built up again. I really wish that there were strung series of missions like when the Quicksilver stuff first started and we had the story mission series over the first weekend. The missions that are in there now are OK, but they are a bit piecemeal at only 250 QS reward each time. Go to a planet, kill off 14 dangerous plants, back to the Nexus, repeat. Meh.

As for the freighter stuff, I have been building up my fleet quite a bit to the point where I can send off 3 fully equipped missions at a time. Hoping to get all the frigates decently levelled up. I think I am going to try and get a fleet of about 20 frigates so that'll be 4 missions at a time. I would love to be able to get all the little hanger-on ships that the NPC fleets have too.

Hex likes this.
  5. Hex

Expedition 2 started today! Apparently, it's a bit different to the first one. Will be checking it out tonight.

6. Almightyrastus

Yeah, I saw that. Looks like some interesting stuff again. I just wish that it wasn't on a fresh save each time as I'd love to use my (now) main save with it as I have been having FAR more fun playing on creative mode and just getting on with things than micro managing the resources needed for things or just wanting to do stuff only to find out that nope, I need x,y, and z and none of them are in that system or the next one, or seemingly the next 5 from experience.

As for my latest goings on, I have been farming the quicksilver to get the full armoured suit and additional backpack. Just managed to get all the parts now, glad that particular grind for QS is over... Next up is finding the perfect fighter or maybe an exotic, not too excited about the living ships but I may grab one at some point as the questline to get it all sorted seems interesting.

Hex likes this.
  7. Hex

I know what you mean about the fresh save. I'd just started to really get into a save with a friend. We had two systems we were making bases on and the economy between the two was great for easy cash. I abandoned it for Expedition 1, then when that started crashing I never got back into it and it ended before I got a chance to finish it.

I'm going to try and do Expedition 2 though. It's very different so far. Starting with a Freighter is nice. Had a lot going on yesterday so didn't get a chance to get through many milestones, but I did get to Rendezvous 2. They're much, much closer together this time!

I haven't done the Living Ship quest yet either. Thanks to Expeditions and Twitch Drops there's way less stuff I need to spend QS on now, so I can focus on stuff like the egg.

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Nvidia have added DLSS to NMS. See the front page.

9. Hex

Sadly my 970 doesn't care about anything so modern! :hehe:

Fizzban likes this.
  10. Almightyrastus

Hehe, just went looking at what that is and thought "oo, fancy. I wonder if..." Then read a bit more and my 980 Ti playing at 1080 said nope and nope, not worth it. Oh well, things run pretty well at the moment.

Hex likes this.
  11. Hex

Sean's tweeting things again!!

It's been translated already
    Look to the Monolith, the weapon is coming.
    Which will make more sense if you're doing Expedition 2.

I just got a 3.7GB update on Steam... Just over a week to go with Expedition 2!

12. Almightyrastus

This has just been posted to YouTube as well by Hello Games, not watched it yet but...

Hex likes this.
  13. Hex

Yeah, it's a shame it got shared by NMS/Sean before a lot of people had seen it. It was pretty cool to see it without knowing about it first :happy:

14. Almightyrastus

I should be unlocking it today. I wasn't going to do it as I really dislike being stuck not being able to do something because I need to stop that and do xyz instead so that I can do the first thing (hence enjoying the snot out of creative mode), but I was pleasantly surprised, they have designed the missions and systems layouts in such a way that a lot of the bits that you need to do are sort of along the way with only the discover 10 systems bit being off the set path (that was a bit of a pig, so many systems along the route have already been found and visited, I think I hit 23 systems in order to get first contact on 10).

Just on set 5 of the things to do now so should have it all wrapped up and the save ready to abandon (...) in an hour or so.

Hex likes this.
  15. Hex

I've done everything now except the very basics related to having a base and discovering 10 uncharted systems, because I left it to the end and now I'm really stuck! No matter how far I jump away from the route, everything's been discovered. I think I need a black hole. Which will actually be possible now they fixed Polo not giving you the charts!

16. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Shame there isn't a way to get it without having actually do the exedition as I'm not in the mood to play NMS at the moment. :sigh:

17. Almightyrastus

Well, got it all sorted and done. The final set of missions is really quite short. In others you have to do something like repair a crashed ship (so finding one, fixing, gathering parts and so on), another you have to help a stranded pilot (so finding, landing, searching for the parts, fighting the corrupted sentinels - who look awesome btw), flying back, fixing), but then in the last stage you get a job done and completion for just buying an item with some quicksilver, or you get another for just going somewhere and activating a scan.

The arrival of the Normandy in the sky over the final location is pretty awesome to see though, I just wish that there wasn't so many message terminals all around the final location. You're looking around watching the ship arrive and because you are moving your point of view around you get "HI", "WOW", "[username] here, please look at my Instagram", "It's xxx from yyy", "WeLl DoNe" all over your screen as you are trying to look. That is one of the big reasons why I don't multiplay NMS, too much crap dropped by other players.

Also a little disappointed that it is just a frigate, I know that is the right sort of size for it and all that, but it would be so cool to be able to actually fly it or at least dock and walk around like with your freighter. Not too sure if you can land on it at all to repair any damage, it may be that it doesn't take damage when on missions, we shall see.

Hex likes this.
  18. Hex

I just got it finished. I didn't do them in order at all. Had the 10 First Contact systems to find last, which was a bad move! Had to go through a black hole and warp sooo many times to get far enough away! Next Expedition I'll do those first, going the other way to the Rendezvous points.

I have mp disabled for Expeditions, cuts down on all the lag and communication stations! For the first one I disabled mp until I was a little way off the Rendezvous and then it was nice meeting people and not a laggy mess. I noticed you can't land on the Normandy too, which is a bit odd. Anyway, got all my rewards claimed and now I can go back to my regular save again... for a little bit!

19. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

ive not played NMS for well over a year due to not having much free time but the mass effect tie-in has perked my interest how long in real human hours does it take

20. Almightyrastus

My Expedition 2 save has 5 hours on it and that is completed. I am not the most efficient nms player, especially on normal mode (which is what this effectively is with some additional starting bonuses like a freighter and a working ship) so you could probably rush through it in around 4 and a bit if you really pushed things.

Yaka likes this.