1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling northbridge cooling question....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bello, 25 Oct 2002.

1. bello

bello What's a Dremel?

here is the story, the fan that sits on my northbridge is starting to crap out on me. so this afternoon, i went out and baught a thermaltake blue orb heatsink/fan i planned on mounting to my chipset. when i got my machine apart i took the fan off, and started to yank on the heat sink (yes i removed those little pin thingys) it seems that my heatsink is thermal glued to my chipset :( to make a long story short, my graphix card now has a new fan :naughty:

however, i am still in search for a more effective cooling meathod then the current *dying* fan which resides on my chip. i was wondering if any of you had some advise for a decent fan.

peace,

2. Dr_kazza

Dr_kazza What's a Dremel?

I use a lovely quiet Chrome Orb...

if you need to take off the fan then this is the way to do it...

Warning it ONLY works with HS that are lightly glued on. If you need to make the glue weaker then it has been known for people to seal the Mofo in a watertight bag and put it in the freezer to make it more brittle... up to you mate ;)

anyway the best way I know of to remove a glued HS is this...
    place a credit card or piece of cardboard under the heatsink... (if your heatsink doesn't overlap the edge of the chip you're f*cked.

now that you have HS | Card | Mobo insert a flathead screwdriver (nice and wide) above the card and belw the hs. Now twist the handle so that it prizes off... you will hear an almost snapping sound... that will (hopefully) be the glue cracking.
    you can see that the card prevents the screwdriver digging into the mobo.

once that is done... use a scalpel/razorblade/stanley knife to gently scrape off the rest of the glue from the chip... clean with some form of alcohol (NOT BEER/CIDER/WINE... champagne maybe ;)) and then apply your new thermal paste and new HS.

WARNING... you do this at your own risk and you WILL void your warranty... don't blame me if you screw it up or are stupid enough to put champagne on your mobo ;)

3. bello

bello What's a Dremel?

dr.kazaa, thnx for the advise.. i think i will venture at taking off the HS this christmas (between semesters @ skewl) i dont think it would be wise to wreck my MoBo in the middle of the semester.

peace,

Tags: