1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia boosts performance with Gamescom Game Ready Driver

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 21 Aug 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Am I reading correctly, are these rtx improvements and is the integer scaling only, oddly, for turing turing based cards?

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This is the second release of these drivers in the last 48 hours.
    The first "accidentally" wouldn't let you not install Geforce Experience.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The performance improvements have only been measured by Nvidia on RTX-family cards; it hasn't said anything about GTX-family cards, which could mean anything from "these performance improvements only apply to RTX-family cards" to "we really, really want people to buy RTX-family cards so we're pretending the GTX family doesn't exist."

And yes, the integer scaling feature is Turing-exclusive. No, I don't know why, other than Nvidia really wanting people to buy Turing GPUs right now.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

In the toxic cesspit aka Twitter they admitted that Raytracing won't be required in any AAA games until 2023, they have to pass the time somehow:naughty:

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Required != implemented, or even primary. Some games released today still have DX9 codepaths after all, and it took years for things like hardware T&L or combined shaders to go from "optional" to "why would you try and work around this?".

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I guess it makes sense, no information on GTX as they want to encourage RTX takeup.

I guess time will tell if it applies to GTX too.

8. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

Wasn't Turing the architecture where Nvidia added hardware integer pipelines alongside the floating point pipelines? It would make sense that they were RTX exclusive because of those capabilities.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Possibly, but remember Turing != RTX. RTX = Turing, but Turing = RTX *or* GTX since the launch of the GeForce GTX 1600-series.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I may just be a "we'll release it for the flagship first then get around to the rest after that" situation, like with 10-bit colour: came first to the 'creator' driver, but is now on all drivers.

Tags: Add Tags